All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight Watchers
      #51766 - 03/18/04 06:53 AM
ChristineT

Reged: 03/01/04

Hi everyone,

I read the thread about Weight Watchers. I'm thinking of going on it myself.

I am stable, and now want to lose some weight. I think I'm afraid to eat salad again, grain bread, etc.

Can we eat cooked vegs., soy, and everything we've learned here? Does the book tell you how many points soy is? What about bread?

I used to eat oatmeal bread when I first heard I had IBS. The nutritionist put me on oatmeal bread, etc. I guess what I'm trying to say is, is there a variety, as far as a reference to the food, and it's points, for people with IBS?

Did you keep stable while on WW? Thanks so much for your help on this. I do want to join, but want to ask how your tummy's feel.

Thanks
Christine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight Watchers new
      #51770 - 03/18/04 07:00 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Christine,

There's no way I'm going to go back to rabbit food diets, now that I know what it will do to my tummy. I understand your hesitation.

The beauty of WW is this: you can eat whatever you want. I'm not kidding. If you weren't IBS and wanted to have chocolate cake and a pint of Ben and Jerry's for breakfast you can. HOWEVER: if that uses up your points for the day (and I'm certain it would), then you're up a creek and have to eat zero points food the rest of the day. That's the kicker. So eating everything and anything under the sun is OK on WW, whether it's soy stuff, bowl of rice, banana, chocolate milkshake... whatever!

As for getting the Points values for foods: they have books that have an astonishing array of supermarket foods and restraurant menus in them. They're pretty comprehensive. I looked up Silk Vanilla the other day and it was there. If you're eating something that's NOT in the cheat sheets or books, NO WORRIES! You get a little thing-a-ma-bob slider that's really easy to use that helps you figure out Points based on fiber content, calories, etc... So all you have to do is read packaging, and we're certainly used to that by now. In fact, I rarely use the books, just the slider. And it fits easily in your purse so you can just take it with you to the store and check out packaging while you're loading up your cart. Easy as pie (8 pts).

--------------------

Re: Weight Watchers Thanks Jen :) new
      #51771 - 03/18/04 07:07 AM
ChristineT

Reged: 03/01/04

Jen,

Thanks so much. I'm off to WW

Weight Watchers Online new
      #51816 - 03/18/04 09:28 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I do Weight Watchers Online since I never have time to go to any of the meetings. The beauty of the online site is that it will automatically calculate points for you, as well as give you the point values for foods and recipes.

Since its easy for me to insert the recipes into the website, if anyone needs a point value for a recipe, please let me know. I'm more than happy to help.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Butternut squash new
      #51825 - 03/18/04 09:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay, squash is really NOT an English thing and it's not in my book of points! Please tell me it's 0 points like pumpkin!??? I love Heather's butternut squash pasta sauce and it's 3 1/2 points per serving (quarter of the recipe - BIG serving!) without the squash!

Re: Weight Watchers Online new
      #51910 - 03/18/04 11:59 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow! Thanks for the offer! I would do it online, but it's more expensive than the meetings... for some reason. Plus, I have no desire to have a scale in the house.

Re: Butternut squash new
      #51967 - 03/18/04 02:03 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Linz, squash and pumpkin are really just different names for the same type of plant, so I would assume it would have the same number of points. Zero, woohoo!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Butternut squash new
      #51993 - 03/18/04 02:53 PM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

Okay, squash is really NOT an English thing and it's not in my book of points! Please tell me it's 0 points like pumpkin!??? I love Heather's butternut squash pasta sauce and it's 3 1/2 points per serving (quarter of the recipe - BIG serving!) without the squash!

My calculator shows 1 pt per 1 cup of butternut squash.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Weight Watchers Online new
      #51994 - 03/18/04 02:55 PM
Jennifer Rose

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the offer! I would do it online, but it's more expensive than the meetings... for some reason. Plus, I have no desire to have a scale in the house.

Yah, no problem! I have already 75+ recipes stored on there with the point calculations of IBS safe recipes (I have only 3-4 that aren't) and I'm hoping to add a section to my personal webpage soon that will have the recipes with their point values.

But if you have a recipe, just email it to me at sweetpea982@sbcglobal.net because might not catch it on the boards.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Weight Watchers new
      #56820 - 04/01/04 11:01 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Hi, I just joined WW last week and I am doing fine on it, but when it comes to figuring out an IBS recipe, I find it challenging. Like, if I make the banana nut bread, I don't know how much I can have. Do you run into that problem?

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1953

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review