All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: GF Make that quintuplets! new
      #52329 - 03/19/04 11:31 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

I get all the same symptoms as well as bone and joint pain. I have been on this is it celiac is it IBS thing for 5 years. My blood tests showed one high, two normal. The IgG was the high one. Had the endoscopy and came back neg. but had been off gluten for 4 months per docs orders saying on no that won't make a difference if you are or aren't consuming gluten, hello??!! Wish I had known then what I know now, it does make a differnce. When I was gluten free I did feel better, but not all better. Same with this IBS, better but not all better. It's all very frustrating and I thought we were paying the docs to figure this out for us? Maybe together we can get some more clues. I think if you are of Northern European descent(sp?) you have a higher chance of having this, which I am. So great to have this discussion with you all.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#52334 - 03/19/04 11:40 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I'm English and Irish and Scottish. I'm screwed.

I'm doing Heather's IBS diet strictly, plus having subtracted the gluten (and sugar). It's working nicely so far. If only I could get my energy back, I'd have NO COMPLAINTS!

I got a little confused... you said you were on the gluten-free diet for 4 months, or you've been back on gluten for 4 months? I've heard it can take a considerable amount of time to feel a lot better on a gluten-free diet depending on how much damage was done to the villi, etc... Wonder if you tried again in conjunction with the IBS diet, would you feel better 6 months, a year down the road? That's what I'm trying. It can't be worse than trying the "P" fruits diet!

--------------------

#52347 - 03/19/04 11:59 AM
crc

Yes, my medical history is just that, a big confusing mess!! I'll try to clarify..I was on the GF diet for 4 months, but, but!! that was about 4 years ago. Had endoscopy, declared non - celiac. Went on bread binge, had more troubles right away, but I am non-celiac right!!so kept on bread but realized high fat bread products (like muffins)or whole wheat definitely worse that just plain white bread. Then gave up coffee (tough one), high fat meats, cheeses, sodas, all one by one after realizing they were bothering me. Found Heathers web site realized I was pretty smart to give all those up and here I am today. Doing better with really watching the fats and being careful with how and when I eat Fruits and Veggies. Like today I made a bannana, peach, strawberry rice milk smoothie and am feeling really healthy for getting some fruits in me, but 1/4 way thru get the uh-oh cramps starting so I say whoops forgot the bread base and had a small piece of bread and was able to finish the smoothie no problem!!

Now you know way too much about me but there it is. When I gave up the gluten I still remember how different, in a good way, that I felt.

Maybe I should give it another go. I wonder if it is poosible to have both IBS and celiac, and if so, then what would you do food wise?? Maybe, the same just using rice instead of flour? HMMM..sounds like what you are doing right now Jen!!!

I just want to figure it out once and for all, feel better, get on a plan, have it work, and move on with my life! Sound good anyone?

Re: GF Forgot something!! new
      #52358 - 03/19/04 12:14 PM
crc

Sorry I got sidetracked by A)my kids audio tape, it is the funniest story called "Time Stops for No Mouse" narrated by Campbell Scott and B)was ravenously hungry and just had to have a piece of Shanna's Bannana Bread that I made this AM...mmmmmmmm very good! Anyway....

I am half Czechoslovakian and half Hungarian so not quite as Northern as you!

I noticed that I was much more even when GF as compared to the ravenously hungries I mentioned above.

Re: GF Forgot something!! new
      #52363 - 03/19/04 12:19 PM
jenX

Isn't that interesting... the ravenous hungries bit!?

I'm soooo not ravenous now. But before I was a little disheartened by how starving I felt all the time. Almost desperately hungry at times.

I'm sure one can be celiac and IBS at the same time. What a joy! A two-fer! And yes, what you'd end up with is what I eat.

PS:
Quote:

I just want to figure it out once and for all, feel better, get on a plan, have it work, and move on with my life! Sound good anyone?

Count me in!

--------------------

Re: To my twin.... new
      #52374 - 03/19/04 12:30 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Let's do this systematically. Here are the symptoms of celiac from celiac.com:
Diarrhea CHECK
Constipation CHECK
Steatorrhea (fatty stools that float rather than sink) CHECK (+ EW!)
Abdominal pain CHECK
Excessive gas CHECK
Any problem associated with vitamin deficiencies NOPE
Iron deficiency (anemia) SOMETIMES
Chronic fatigue You BETCHA
Weakness MMMM HMMM. CHECK
Weight loss YES AND NO (me too!)
Bone pain JOINT PAIN...YES
Easily fractured bones GOODNESS NO, I HOPE
Abnormal or impaired skin sensation (paresthesia), Including burning, prickling, itching or tingling I'LL TAKE A PASS, THANKS
Edema WHAT IS THIS?
Headaches* SADLY, YES
Peripheral Neuropathy* (tingling in fingers and toes) I GET THIS EVERY SO OFTEN
Individuals have reported such varied symptoms as:
White flecks on the fingernails OCCASIONALLY
Fuzzy-mindedness after gluten ingestion YES
Burning sensations in the throat YES, BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS THE SINUSITIS

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I heart rice. new
      #52379 - 03/19/04 12:33 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It's REALLY tough for me to eat GF because many products out there aren't Kosher!

Sushi you gotta be careful with! Sometimes rice can have added wheat in it...

I LOVE SUSHI! Do you make it yourself? I'm so wanting to learn how to make it!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Dearest Twin.... new
      #52384 - 03/19/04 12:40 PM
jenX

I think we're up poop's creek without a paddle.

--------------------

Duh, Help me out here??? What is Gluten new
      #52388 - 03/19/04 12:43 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I know it has something to do with sugars, but is it in ingredients of things??? Also what is Celiac? I am constantly craving sweets, I wake up craving, I, before Heather's diet, ate them morning, noon and night....I never gained any weight?? But I was always D myself to death LOL, anyway. Can anyone help me out here?

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Re: I heart rice. new
      #52390 - 03/19/04 12:46 PM
jenX

Ah... you keep kosher? That's ANOTHER thing to check labels for. Poor Ruchie. (Not poor you re: your beliefs, just poor you, you're going to go blind reading labels! You knew what I meant... right!? )

It strikes me that quite a few of the GF things I picked up at the HFS were marked kosher. Hmmm.... I'm going this afternoon. I'm going to look and see.

Don't tell me that about sushi... Are you serious, flour is added to rice sometimes? Oh my. Well, I haven't had troubles yet.... *fingers crossed*

I don't make my own sushi yet, but want to take a class. Maybe this summer or fall... They have some great programs around here that offer "How to Make Sushi." I've been meaning to look into it. This GF thing is just inspiring me more.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 622 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 62281

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review