All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
New member, distended belly :) new
      #49250 - 03/10/04 08:52 AM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

I just joined this site...what a wonderful wealth of knowledge for those of us with "issues." I have had the symptoms of IBS for as long as I can remember, although it wasn't until fairly recently that realized it was more than just C. I eat pretty well. I've been taking lots of fiber, in the form of FIberCon pills, Citrucel powder, and natural fiber foods like apples. But for some reason it has not helped, and my stomach seems to be sticking out...It looks as if I am pregnant, but I am not. I've been drinking lots off Peppermint Tea, and that makes it feel better, but it still looks and feel very strange. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jules3 (03/10/04 01:56 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New member, distended belly :) new
      #49274 - 03/10/04 10:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

HELLO and WELCOME!

Bloating seems to be one of the hardest things to control with IBS. Do you know how to do a topic search? Look up top in the green line and click on the search button. Type in bloating with no time restrictions and you will see ALL the posts relating to that!

Don't really have any suggestions, some people swear by funnel tea. I haven't found much that helps me
My pants are usually unbuttoned before I get home from work and I have 2 sets of clothes for "good belly" and "bad belly" days, so I can relate.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#49286 - 03/10/04 10:30 AM
Jules3

Thanks...I'll try that tea too. It's just so wierd...I've upped my fiber, and it seems like I am adding bulk, as thats what the supplements are for, but it is just sitting in my stomach. Doesn't feel so nice

#49291 - 03/10/04 10:48 AM
kristy391

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hi Jules,
I get really bloated when I have anything with dairy. Once in a while I really miss having a glass of cold milk and break the rules and end up looking very pregnant about 20 minutes after I've consumed any dairy. When this happens I take an Enteric coated peppermint pill and it works everytime to get rid of the bloating.

--------------------
Kristy

#49319 - 03/10/04 12:12 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi and welcome!

Yes, bloating is the toughest symptom to control according to Heather. Different people on the board will have different suggestions, but for me the best relief for bloating is Phazyme or Gas-X. RiteAid has a generic version called Gas Relief that's cheaper. The active ingredient is simethicone and it breaks up the gas bubbles. I'm currently taking two every morning and I can button my jeans! Which is amazing since just like you I used to look pregnant too!

I just wish someone had told me about it 20 years ago!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#49350 - 03/10/04 03:09 PM
Jules3

I know there are some things I need to cut out, but they are the last of my vices...diet coke and frozen yogurt. I have cut WAY back, but can not quite eliminate them. I acutally trie cutting them both for a week, at separate times, and it was hard....but I noticed more of a change with the frozen yogurt gone. So now I only eat it ever so rarely.

#49368 - 03/10/04 04:37 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I've given in and bought some more comfy pants that fit better in the waste. I'm only 120lbs and having a "belly" of a 2nd trimester pregnant woman sometimes! Bloating I guess I can handle as long as there's no pain and no gas! Ewww

#49378 - 03/10/04 05:15 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

OOO,I've got to try this.Last nt. I was so miserable I walked and took fennel tea and layed on a heating pad(Sometimes lying on my tummy helps,go figure)

#49379 - 03/10/04 05:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! A bludgeoning belly is a common complaint here. Fennel tea is our best defense for bloating. Crush some fennel seeds up and put about a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water. Use a tea strainer to avoid a mess. It tastes like licorice. Personally, I hate the taste, but it really works well.
Also, chew your food thoroughly, and make sure you're not gulping food down. Eat slowly it will help decrease the amount of air you swallow.
The fibercon or citrucel could also contribute to the bloating, unfortunately. Cut one out at a time and see if you notice a difference in one. Heather's acacia fibre is sold here on this website and I recommend it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks new
      #49382 - 03/10/04 05:20 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Thank you for posting this.It is so helpful to hear that others are still having trouble eliminating everything that hurts.I wish my will power was better.I just thought that others were able to just follow the rules.
Even tho. I rmemeber so well how awful it feels to get the bloated attack I still can't resist some temptaions I love.

#49395 - 03/10/04 06:31 PM
Jules3

Thanks for all your insight/commiseration. My stomach is like an air pouch now, and I can feel the bubbles moving around. Yuck I am currently drinking another cup of Peppermint tea, but I will take up the suggestion of Peppermint caps. And the fennel tea. Do you drink both that and Peppermint tea? I know they have slightly different effects, but can they be interchanged? I am moving next week so the stress causes my stomach to be worse, and also pushes me to eat comfort foods like frozen yogurt or low fat ice cream (full of bad lactose, but at least I cut out the fat...doesnt that count for something) which upsets my tummy on top of what the stress alone is doing. Plus I have had two 2 pill doses of Fibercon today and 2 cups of citrucel...and NOTHING has happened....very frustrated

Edited by Jules3 (03/10/04 06:34 PM)

#49417 - 03/11/04 12:04 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Jules,
I thought I'd make a suggestion for a tea that I've found particularily helpful. I currently drink a lot of peppermint tea because I find it soothes my stomach and I really enjoy the taste; however, I agree that the fennel is much better for gas and bloating.
I actually found one tea that incorporates both into it that is quite good, although I still drink plain fennel and plain peppermint everyday. Anyways, it's called "Eater's Digest" (real cute eh?) and it's made by Traditional Medicinals. Here's a link to their site: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/
Anyways, this tea contains peppermint leaf, ginger root, papya leaf, alfalfa, fennel seed, rosehip and a few other incredients. I've found it really helpful and I personally think it tastes better than the plain fennel tea. I drink it when I'm feeling really bad and don't think I can stomach the fennel.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

#49553 - 03/11/04 09:41 AM
michele

I think I'm on to something but not exactly sure what-I am trying to get pregnant so I stop the birth control pills I have been on for 15 years. I stopped the pills about 3 weeks and have noticed a big improvement in my tummy and have had very little bloating! But I have also had a really bad cold so haven't eaten much besides bread and soup, so not sure what to attribute the improvement to?! I have also been completely off my Lexapro (anti-depressant) for a week and I was a little concerned that would make my tummy worse but doesn't seem to be the case. I'm kinda an emotional wreck at the moment with going through the withdrawal of the drug and wanting to get pregnant, but as I said my tummy is actually better-not perfect but better for sure! I'll keep you posted as I start to feel better and expand my diet. Is it to hopefully to think most of my tummy problems were caused by the birthcontrol pills??

--------------------

#49657 - 03/11/04 12:21 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Michele -

That is crazy that you mentioned the birth control pills. I first started taking birth control pills about 5 years ago to regulate my cyles, my periods just kind of stopped coming. I was down to a light weight at the time and that might have been part of the reason.

In any case, I recently got married and so I have stayed on the pill. But when I think back to when my IBS symptoms started, it was around that time. I really think it may being playing a big part of it. I know antibiotics can destroy that "good" bacteria we need to digest food. Don't you think birth control could do the same thing over a period of time!? I would be interested in finding out more. Maybe we could do a poll for those who are on birth control.

Keep me updated on your symptoms!! I would like to go off the birth control, but my husband and I would probably not want to take that risk right now.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: try this too....wierd, but seems to help me. new
      #49714 - 03/11/04 01:11 PM
kristy391

I took the advice of a friend who is a nurse, she told me that if you have an upset or gassy tummy, stretch out on the bed and lay on your left side. Did some experimenting with it and for some reason, the relief was faster laying on the left. Strange isn't it?

--------------------
Kristy

Re: Bethany new
      #49754 - 03/11/04 02:35 PM
michele

I have been giving this a lot of thought. Some other girls on this board of mentioned having problems with the pill, I guess most of them have lactose in them, believe it or not! I have been tested and am not lactose intolerate, although I still stay away from dairy.

Anyway, When I was between 15-16 I went on the pill to regulate my periods, I had really heaving bleeding and terrible cramps. About the same time my IBS started. I have been on 3-4 different brands of pills over the last 17 years and my IBS has varied in degrees over the years as well. About 3-4 years ago, my OBGYN put me on orthotrycyline to help with my complexion, I didn't realize it at the time but I guess that is one of the stronger pills. My IBS has been espeacially bad since than! I've never really considered it a factor until now. My tummy has been almost normal for 3 whole weeks! That is the longest I have feel well in many, many years! As I said, the only other thing that has changed is since I have had a nasty cold the last 2 weeks my diet has been really limited to soups and bread. Although my hubby made chicken pad thi with veggies last night and I still feel fine today! I'm getting over my cold so will be eating more things and I'll keep you posted! Do a search if you want to see all the other threads about birth control pills!

--------------------

#49767 - 03/11/04 02:54 PM
sss

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: North Carolina

HanSolo, I'm new also. I've recently started doing vigorous excercise everyday. I was told to drink protein shakes to help buil muscle...will this irritate the IBS?
I aslo just recently taking Zelnorm. Today I bought some Fennel Seed, but it's in capsule form, did I get the right thing?

Re: New member, distended belly :)
      #49798 - 03/11/04 04:42 PM
Jules3

My doc gave me samples of Zelnorm, but when it because time to fill a srcip, my insurance wouldn't cover it and they were going to be 3 dollars a pill! In the course of the week I started taking them, I noticed no difference, so I am going to try upping my fiber, drinking the teas and changing my diet instead. I'll try all the suggestions, anything to help!

Re: birth control pills new
      #49802 - 03/11/04 04:55 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I went off my birth control pills 6 weeks ago. My system has changed dramatically for the better. I have had IBS for 14 years, and I feel almost normal again. I still eat all the right foods, but I no longer have D. This is such a welcome change, I can't believe it.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#49807 - 03/11/04 05:17 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, this talk about the pill is very interesting! My IBS also seemed to worsen around the time I started the pill about 5 years ago... although it randomly got a whole lot worse about a year ago. Anyway, I even asked my doc whether or not the pill could have had anything to do with my IBS, and she flat out said no. She said she's never heard any kind of correlation between the two. Stupidly, I believed her, but now I'm wondering if it's just another case of the docs not knowing anything about IBS. I'm afraid to stop the pill, though, because my periods were sooo sporadic and I had terrible cramping. What the heck are we supposed to do in a situation like this?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks...Question Vicam new
      #49811 - 03/11/04 05:33 PM
Jules3

I'm going to Whole food to get Eater's Digest tea tonight...Have you tried their Smooth Move tea? Saw it on their sit...Although I have to say I already feel like trying conquer this I am ALWAYS putting something in my mouth...whether it be Peppermint tea, a glass of water with FiberCon, or a glass of Citrucel. Oy!!!

#49814 - 03/11/04 05:57 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I'm with you Kree. I have no idea what we're supposed to do! Now that I think about it, I didn't have IBS until I went on the pill. But it stops my migraines and totally ended my battle with tension headaches. How are we supposed to decide which is worse? Aaarrrgggh!!

--------------------
--Julie

#49828 - 03/11/04 07:50 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Yeah, I find that I have done better when I'm not on the pill too. I just don't want to stop the pill because...1 I'm not ready for another baby right now (maybe next year) and 2 it is so nice to have your period the same time every month and mine only lasts 4 days. Very light! My period was long and heavy before the pill. Catch 22!!! What to do!!!

--------------------

Birth Control Patch new
      #49832 - 03/11/04 07:56 PM
Kimm

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey guys!! I'm also on the pill and have been for about 7 years now. I have not noticed any bad side effects from it regarding my IBS but maybe I just never picked up on it cuz I've been on it for so long.
I do know that there is now a birth control patch that you put on hidden areas on your body and you change it once a week. It works the same as the pill only you don't have to remember to swallow a pill every day. It's made by tricyclen. I'm not sure if it would have the same effect as a pill but I figure it might be better cuz it's not something you're actually gonna have to digest.
Just thought I'd mention it!!

didn't help me new
      #49835 - 03/11/04 08:00 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I thought that if i went off the pill it would help and in the beg. I thought it did but then once my body adjusted no diff. unfor.! This seems to be teh case with everything thought. I think like everything else (and as much as it pains me to say it) it's individual!! But I agree it's def. catch 22!

Wow, never thought about the BC connection new
      #49848 - 03/11/04 08:25 PM
Vicam

This is an interesting discussion...I too started experiencing the worse of my IBS symptoms after going on the pill. I wonder if the hormones have some affect on things. I read somewhere that women on birth control pills are more likely to get gall bladder problems...maybe that's something? But, I, like many other people on this board, need to be on the pill because it helps with other problems...so what a yucky choice!

Re: Thanks...Question Vicam new
      #49850 - 03/11/04 08:28 PM
Vicam

Hi Jules,
No, I've never tried the smooth move, I'm not sure I've ever seen that one on the shelves in Canada. I tend to stay away from any of the teas that are meant to relieve constipation, just because I find they almost always give me the runs! But I really like the Eater's Digest because not only does it help, it's one of the few teas that I find I actually truly enjoy drinking because it tastes so good. I find adding a bit of honey really helps too. GOod luck!
And by the way, I totally understand what you were saying about feeling like you're always drinking something...me too! It's crazy, I feel like I'm always either swallowing pills or trying to get some drink down, it never ends!

Re: Birth Control Patch new
      #49859 - 03/11/04 08:56 PM
MKE32

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Hello, everyone, this is very interesting, just stumbled onto this site . . .

I have been struggling with IBS for about 8 years, and am intrigued with this birth control discussion. I have been using the pill for about 12 years, and just 3 weeks ago switched to the patch. I will keep an eye on whether or not my symptoms change, as I made the switch due to my wildly changing daily routines, and was becoming concerned about remembering to take my pill everyday. I'll keep you posted!

I am also interested in the dairy discussion. Just last nite I tried a bit of Soygurt. I thought it would be a nice alternative to yogurt, as that makes me very ill. Just three bites I had, and was in the washroom first thing this a.m. Anyone else seem to have "issues" with the "good" bacterial cultures?

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Smooth Moove, senna BAD? new
      #49870 - 03/12/04 01:32 AM
Jules3

Oops...started searching uder the ingredients in the Smooth Moove while drinking my first cup and saw that Senna is a no no according to Heather. Throwing the other half away...I don't need my bowels getting addicted to it as she says, so that I can't go on my own. Already have that problem!

birth control options new
      #49896 - 03/12/04 06:17 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I'm glad this whole birth control topic is being discussed. Ever since I started having symptoms I wondered if it was due to birth control. I have an identical twin sister, and she has not had to go on birth control. And, guess what...she doesn't seem to have any of the problems I do. Hmmm.

Does anyone know if the "Patch" is not as strong as Orthotri.? I have been on this BC for about 4-5 years now. I just recently switched to the generic brand, Trinessa. If anything I have felt worse. I would like to try going off them but hubby and I just aren't ready for a baby yet. Although, after being on BC for so long, it would probably take a while for my system to go back to normal.

Ok - keep me updated!!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: birth control options new
      #49955 - 03/12/04 09:46 AM
MKE32

Loc: Alberta, Canada

My doctor told me the Patch is a relatively medium strength BC, much like the Triphasil I was on, just without the varying doses over the course of the month.

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

#49997 - 03/12/04 11:05 AM
MaureenT

Reged: 03/12/04

Hi I'm new to. I know what you mean. My belly is the largest of me. Goes up and down-so frustrating. Looks like this site will be lots of help-Take Care

Re: Wow, never thought about the BC connection new
      #50006 - 03/12/04 11:22 AM
Slymac

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario

My IBS started around the same time I started the pill 8 years ago. My IBS has progressively gotten worse during the Years. I know that the pill isn't good for your liver which has a very important role with the gallbladder to breakdown fat. I have slug in my gall bladder and my liver doesn't work well but I don't have liver disease the Doctor says not to worry about it. Like I am going to sit around waiting to get liver disease so the doctor will help me. I went to a Herbalist and she told me to get off of the pill as soon as possible because the pill depletes the nervous system and everyone knows about the connection between your nervous system and digestion. As soon as I get off of it i will tell everyone if it helped my symptoms.

#50008 - 03/12/04 11:28 AM
amylou

Reged: 02/21/04

Hello to all!
I wanted to respond to all the birth control talk...I am a pharmaceutical sales specialist and I have worked with OBs and birth control pills for the past 4 years. Until now I had not drawn the connection between IBS and BC pills but it is worth mentioning the the colon operates by horomones and any flucuation in horomones can cause the colon to go into spasm. Depending on the type of BC pill chosen esp one that varies the dose throughout the month (such as ortho tri cyclen, triphasil etc) this could cause havoc to an already spastic colon.
If as an IBS sufferer you are looking for a safer approach go for a low dose BC pill that stays constant throughout the entire month (Yasmin, Alesse, etc) you might find you have better results in terms of side effects of IBS.
To answer a previous question posted...the patch is just as effective and just as potent as the pill. Many women like it becasue they don't have to take the pill everyday and as an added bonus...it filters directly into the blood stream which means it bypasses the first pass of digestion....very important again for those that suffer from IBS...
Hope this helps everyone...
Have a great day,
amy

#50022 - 03/12/04 11:43 AM
kristy391

Hello all,
The BC pill I use is Orthonovum 1/50...I went off for a couple months not too long ago, but didn't notice any effect on my IBS D.

--------------------
Kristy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2840 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review