Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Advice needed
      #49272 - 03/10/04 10:02 AM
kristy391

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hi everyone,
I forgot to mention the first time that I suffer from IBS D. The diet has worked wonders for me.
Just looking for any helpful advice. My nine year old niece has been suffering from tummy aches and diarreha for the last year and her mom recently took her to the doctor and was told to keep a food and symptom diary. The symptoms are sporatic and don't seem to have any relation to what and when she eats. It is still a mystery and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Kristy

Edited by kristy391 (03/10/04 10:44 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Advice new
      #49279 - 03/10/04 10:18 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Wow. Poor thing. She's so young!

IBS symptoms are often stirred up by high fat foods and meals and even by simply eating too much at once. Have you read through the information pages linked to these boards? Go to HelpforIBS.com/Diet. There's an explanation of the diet many of us are following (and the reasoning behind it).

I'm not telling you that necessarily to have your niece start the diet, but so that you can see how many different triggers there are that many people aren't aware of! That may help you really look at the food diary in a new way. For example, I may be able to eat pizza tonight because of my current health (good) and the other things I've eaten today. But maybe Wednesday I have the exact same pizza, same quantity, at the same time of day, and get really really sick! It's not just the pizza (tomato sauce = acidic, cheese = lactose) but maybe how much insoluble fiber I've had that day and the way my stomach is feeling that day. Not to mention the stress factor...

Like I said, this info may help you look at what she's going through in a new light. If she gets diagnosed with IBS, this diet could be quite helpful to her. It's helped out lots of us.

Anyway, there's tons of info there that may help. Make sure to check out the links at the top that take you to more info.... Trigger Foods, How to eat for IBS, IBS FAQ, Fiber exlpanations.

Good luck. And please be sure to post any other questions! I'm sure everyone will be quite helpful.

--------------------

Whoops! new
      #49280 - 03/10/04 10:19 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I see you're on the diet!

Well, maybe nothing I've said will help at all, since you're already familiar with the triggers and so forth.

I tried!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2743 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review