All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Drinking Water
      #49203 - 03/10/04 07:52 AM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

According to what I read people are supposed to drink 6 to 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day.

But according to a recent report on our Canadian CTV News doctors are now reconsidering this position. They state that water taken with teas and coffees, soft drinks, etc contributes to this daily limit.

Wondering how others feel about this. I know despite diverticulous I have a hard time drinking that much water daily although if I add other liquids as mentioned I would [probably be close to equivilant of say 6 glasses a day.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking Water new
      #49212 - 03/10/04 08:00 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Personally, I do count my tea toward my total intake of water, since it's almost totally water anwyay. But I don't count soy or rice milk, because who knows how much of that is water and how much is other ingredients. I know what you mean, though... it's really tough for me to get myself to drink as much water as I should, too!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#49226 - 03/10/04 08:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Makes sense to me. They also said that if your body can tell you when you're tired, hungry, etc. then why can't it tell you you're thirsty? If you're thirsty, have a drink. (I wouldn't drink Brantford's water though - when I go to my Aunt's or grandparents' place (they live in brantford too) we take bottled water).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#49252 - 03/10/04 09:03 AM
ArtKen

Interesting about your comment re Brantford water.

Since they updated their plant in 1999 it is supposed to be considered one of the beter plants in this part of the province anyway.

I know when I travel to relatives in Belleville, Ontario I take care not to drink too much of their water although it's considered safe it is not as up to date as local supply.

#49328 - 03/10/04 12:48 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I also count my tea as a glass of water and find it very difficult to drink 8 glasses of water everyday. I've done it a couple of times and find myself having to run to the washroom every 5 minutes cuz I have to pee!!
An interesting fact that I was told by my doctor: When you feel thirsty that means that your body is already beginning to dehydrate so you should drink consistently throughout the day even when you don't feel thirsty.

Good Luck!!

#49366 - 03/10/04 04:30 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I have been making my mission lately to get in as much water as possible. But I have to make sure I'm near a bathroom and it's not too close to bedtime. I bought a handy little water bottle and it holds about 20oz so I don't have to keep getting up and refilling glasses. And I can just take it with me whereever I go. I have noticed my stomach feeling much better with the extra water.

#49381 - 03/10/04 05:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Do they still add flouride? I just remember that when I was younger it tasted so awful. My aunt only serves spring water now - I didn't know the plant was updated. Good to know!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#49397 - 03/10/04 06:49 PM
ArtKen

Fluorine probably is still added. More so in the spring if I remember before I started filtering with a Brita.

I looked up on the internet and was surprised how far they go back having a water system. They had a plant with a sand filtering system and were adding chlorine in 1886.

#49403 - 03/10/04 07:56 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hI artken; I never could drink that must before either, but since I have been on this diet, I am finding that I drink a lot nmore water because oif all the fibre I have. 2-3 glasses a day onkly,though, and the rest are teas.

#49410 - 03/10/04 08:35 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

It is hard to drink that much water, especially when I was still working, but with kidney stone problems I forced myself. It helped to put a few drops of lemon in the water so at least it had a bit of taste to it.

#49411 - 03/10/04 08:41 PM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Hey Hansolo!

My Grandparents live in Brantford as well. I've never had a problem with the drinking water and my Mum loves the stuff.

#49422 - 03/11/04 04:29 AM
rachelgreen

Reged: 03/03/04
Loc: Poland

Hi,
I try to drink a lot of water - mineral, still water(although it's tough to do it at work;) and I found out I feel better then. I've read somewhere that water is good not only for digestion, but also for headaches and 'purifying' the body.

#49425 - 03/11/04 04:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hi Ken, you can count the water in herbal teas towards that total (but going over it will only do you good). The medical argument has always been that proper tea, coffee and soft drinks are usually diurectics (spelling very wrong! ), which means they make your body lose more water, which is why you need to drink even more. But herbal teas aren't so drink them instead. Make sure however, that you know what kind of volume you're drinking - small glasses aren't the same! It's suppoesed to be 1 1/2 to 2 litres a day I think.

#49427 - 03/11/04 04:57 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

Im a massage therapist and we learned so much about water during the time i was in school and training
There is a difference between pure water and other beverages that contain water. Biochemically, water is water--obviously you can get some liquid by consuming such beverages as fruit juice, soft drinks, beer, coffee and tea. Unfortunately, while such drinks contain water, they also may contain substances may contradict some of the positive effects of the added water. As Dr Jerzy Meduski, a medical doctor and biochemist in Los Angeles, says: "Beer contains water, but it also contains alcohol which is a toxic substance." And caffeinated beverages like coffee stimulate the adrenal glands, while fruit juices contain a lot of sugar and stimulate the pancreas. Tea is a diuretic, so you excrete more liquid than you take in. Soda contains sodium. Such drinks may tax the body more than they cleanse it.

Another problem with these beverages is that you lose your taste for water.

The way to interpret all this, therefore, is that the recommended daily water intake means just that--water!

--------------------
Gretchen

#49431 - 03/11/04 05:05 AM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

June, 2001
Common Sense Nutrition News
It's summer…time for iced tea, iced coffee and other cold drinks. One thing to ask yourself, though, is...

AM I DRINKING ENOUGH WATER?

Water is the most abundant substance on earth. It's also the most abundant substance in our bodies and we can't survive more than a few days without it. Every function in our body occurs in water. A human embryo is more than 80% water, a newborn baby about 74%, and a normal adult about 60-70% water. Yet most people have no idea how much water they should be drinking. In fact, many of us live from day to day in a dehydrated state--that is, we don't drink enough water.

What does water do?
Without water, we would die from internal poisoning by our own waste products and the toxins resulting from metabolism.

We all know that the kidneys remove wastes, such as uric acid and lactic acid, from the body. What we may not think about is that, in order to be removed, those wastes must be dissolved in water. If there isn't enough water, wastes are not removed as effectively, and it may be damaging to the kidneys. Water also is vital to digestion and metabolism--it acts as a medium for various enzymatic and chemical reactions in the body. It carries nutrients and oxygen to the cells though the blood. Water helps to regulate our body temperature through perspiration, which gets rid of excess heat and cools the body. Water also lubricates our joints--an important function if you are arthritic, have chronic muscular or skeletal problems, or are athletically active.

We even need water to breathe. Our lungs must be moistened by water in order to effectively take in of oxygen and get rid of carbon dioxide. We lose approximately a pint of liquid each day just exhaling!

So, if you don't drink enough water to be in "fluid balance," as doctors call it, you can impair every aspect of your body's physiological function. Excess body fat, poor muscle tone and size, decreased digestive efficiency and organ function, constipation, increased toxicity in the body, joint and muscle soreness (particularly after exercise), and water retention may all be related to lack of water.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Water and weight loss:
Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss. Water may be the key to taking weight off and keeping it off.

"Proper water intake is the key to weight loss," says Dr. Donald Robertson, director of the Southwest Bariatric Nutrition Center in Scotsdale, Ariz. "If people who are trying to lose weight don't drink enough water, the body can't metabolize the fat, they retain fluid, which keeps weight up, and the whole procedure that we're trying to set up falls apart."

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits.

Here's why: As we said, the kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When they don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But, if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't do its own job as effectively. As a result, it metabolizes less fat; so more fat remains stored in the body and weight loss stops.

Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in spaces outside the cells. This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. So, paradoxical as it may seem, the way to eliminate fluid retention is to drink more water, not less.

Some people choose to use diuretics. However, these offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much water should you drink?
Of course, people trying to lose weight are not the only ones who need to drink a lot of water. We all do. Count the glasses if you must to ensure that you get the proper amount.

"I'd say the minimum amount a healthy person should drink is 10 eight-ounce glasses a day, "says Dr. Flaks, bariartric physician in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Bariatrics is the branch of medicine dealing with obesity.). "And you need to drink more if you're overweight, exercise a lot or live in a hot climate. Overweight people should drink an extra glass for every 25 pounds they exceed their ideal weight."

A formula developed by East German physicians is:
o a daily water intake of ˝ ounce per pound of body weight if you're a non-active person (that's 10 eight-ounce glasses a day if your weight is 160 pounds),
o 2/3 ounce per pound if you're an active athletic person (13 to 14 eight-ounce glasses a day if you're 160 pounds).

Your water intake should be spread judiciously throughout the day, including the evening. Try not to drink more than four glasses in any given hour. And remember you should always check with your physician before embarking on a regimen of increased water intake.

You may be wondering: If I drink this much water, won't I constantly be running to the bathroom? Initially, the bladder is hypersensitive to the increased amount of fluid, and you have to urinate frequently. But after a few weeks, your bladder calms down, and you urinate less frequently but in larger amounts. [Mine never did, but I feel so much better and sleep so much better when I drink enough water, that it is worth the extra trips to the bathroom.]

--------------------
Gretchen

While we're on the subject, I have a question.... new
      #49436 - 03/11/04 05:22 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Why does Heather's diet recommend not drinking water with a meal? Am I remembering that right?

I kinda just pushed that aside and ignored it, but now I'm wondering A) why that's the recommendation and B) if that's responsible for some of my lingering symptoms???

Anyone?

--------------------

Re: While we're on the subject, I have a question.... new
      #49438 - 03/11/04 05:24 AM
Linz

Doesn't it tend to overfill your stomach, causing more problems? Tho I have to say, I'm not very good at not doing this, but then I try not to eat proper meals.

Hmmm... new
      #49440 - 03/11/04 05:31 AM
jenX

Is that all it is, Linz? That's not a big deal, then.

And if by "proper meals" you mean a full-sized meal like we "used to" eat, then I'm with ya. I kind of graze my way through the day with little mini-meals. But I have my water all day. Of course, I don't drink enough, but I'm trying to be a good doobie with it!

What time is it in England, Linz!?

--------------------

England new
      #49446 - 03/11/04 05:37 AM
Linz

It is now 1338. I'm on my day off (working nights this w/e ).

Re: England new
      #49450 - 03/11/04 05:48 AM
jenX

Ew. Working nights. I don't have the energy. I admire you!

I have a close friend who's in college over in England, but that doesn't mean I can ever remember the time difference. I have a mental block about it for some reason.

What do you do, Linz? I work at a local phone company. I am on the computer all day, and it's quite boring. That's why I play on the boards! I'm starting a company with some friends, making chocolate, and I hope to be able to leave the phone company and do that full time, soon!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1336 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2754

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review