All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Drinking Water
      #49203 - 03/10/04 07:52 AM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

According to what I read people are supposed to drink 6 to 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day.

But according to a recent report on our Canadian CTV News doctors are now reconsidering this position. They state that water taken with teas and coffees, soft drinks, etc contributes to this daily limit.

Wondering how others feel about this. I know despite diverticulous I have a hard time drinking that much water daily although if I add other liquids as mentioned I would [probably be close to equivilant of say 6 glasses a day.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Drinking Water new
      #49212 - 03/10/04 08:00 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Personally, I do count my tea toward my total intake of water, since it's almost totally water anwyay. But I don't count soy or rice milk, because who knows how much of that is water and how much is other ingredients. I know what you mean, though... it's really tough for me to get myself to drink as much water as I should, too!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#49226 - 03/10/04 08:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Makes sense to me. They also said that if your body can tell you when you're tired, hungry, etc. then why can't it tell you you're thirsty? If you're thirsty, have a drink. (I wouldn't drink Brantford's water though - when I go to my Aunt's or grandparents' place (they live in brantford too) we take bottled water).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#49252 - 03/10/04 09:03 AM
ArtKen

Interesting about your comment re Brantford water.

Since they updated their plant in 1999 it is supposed to be considered one of the beter plants in this part of the province anyway.

I know when I travel to relatives in Belleville, Ontario I take care not to drink too much of their water although it's considered safe it is not as up to date as local supply.

#49328 - 03/10/04 12:48 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I also count my tea as a glass of water and find it very difficult to drink 8 glasses of water everyday. I've done it a couple of times and find myself having to run to the washroom every 5 minutes cuz I have to pee!!
An interesting fact that I was told by my doctor: When you feel thirsty that means that your body is already beginning to dehydrate so you should drink consistently throughout the day even when you don't feel thirsty.

Good Luck!!

#49366 - 03/10/04 04:30 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I have been making my mission lately to get in as much water as possible. But I have to make sure I'm near a bathroom and it's not too close to bedtime. I bought a handy little water bottle and it holds about 20oz so I don't have to keep getting up and refilling glasses. And I can just take it with me whereever I go. I have noticed my stomach feeling much better with the extra water.

#49381 - 03/10/04 05:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Do they still add flouride? I just remember that when I was younger it tasted so awful. My aunt only serves spring water now - I didn't know the plant was updated. Good to know!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#49397 - 03/10/04 06:49 PM
ArtKen

Fluorine probably is still added. More so in the spring if I remember before I started filtering with a Brita.

I looked up on the internet and was surprised how far they go back having a water system. They had a plant with a sand filtering system and were adding chlorine in 1886.

#49403 - 03/10/04 07:56 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hI artken; I never could drink that must before either, but since I have been on this diet, I am finding that I drink a lot nmore water because oif all the fibre I have. 2-3 glasses a day onkly,though, and the rest are teas.

#49410 - 03/10/04 08:35 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

It is hard to drink that much water, especially when I was still working, but with kidney stone problems I forced myself. It helped to put a few drops of lemon in the water so at least it had a bit of taste to it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2772

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review