All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zelnorm didn't work...on to Mirilax....
      #4803 - 04/01/03 02:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I said I would keep y'all updated...so here's the scoop. The doc put me on zelnorm two weeks ago. No side effects--actually, no effects at all! So, now the doc is putting me on mirilax. He says this is a laxative and I can stay on it as long as I need to. I'm a bit skeptical! He said NOT to take citrucel while I'm on the Mirilax. I plan to continue with my IBS safety foods! Heather's diet is AWESOME! I'm just wondering what people's opinion of Mirilax is...has anyone taken it...does it have fiber in it...I'm guessing not), and what advice do y'all have in regards to staying on a laxative long-term? Thanks for your support everyone! You've helped me get through these tough times while being diagnosed, going through my colonoscopy, zelnorm, the anxiety, suffering, gas, etc! I REALLY appreciate this board--I love you guys! Thanks bunches!! *hugs*

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm didn't work...on to Mirilax.... new
      #4807 - 04/01/03 03:07 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Hugs to you, zelnorm did nothing for me either. I have a bottle of miralax in the cabinet I've never opened, just hesitant to try anything new. Let me know how it works for you!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Zelnorm didn't work...on to Mirilax....Michelle new
      #4811 - 04/01/03 03:40 PM
Snow for Sarala

Michelle,

Awww, thanks so much! I needed that I'm also afraid to try Miralax (sp)? I'm going to try and work up the courage...I'm about to go to google.com and look it up...I'll def. let you know if I try it! I'm sorry Zelnorm didn't work for us....we'll find something that does! *hugs* back!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4814 - 04/01/03 03:51 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Ruchie,
Im so sorry that zelnorm didnt work for you. I have IBS-d and im on an medication called 'levisin' and although i dont get d hardly anymore, i still get loose stools. Its too bad that IBS so strong, it hasnt met a med that was able to beat it yet.
Anyway, I hope mirilax works for you. I wish you the very best

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4824 - 04/01/03 05:02 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I haven't tried either -- all I have is Dicetel, which works more at easing the cramping than it does controlling the D. It has no other side-effects though, so I can't really complain -- it's much better than some of the anti-spasmatics that I was given when I first moved here.

Re: Zelnorm didn't work...on to Mirilax....Angela new
      #4826 - 04/01/03 05:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thank you SO MUCH for responding to this post--and to the one about moms! It's SO DIFFICULT when your mom--someone we love, look up to, and long to be close to doesn't understand! I don't live at home anymore--I just got married this past July--but my mom has been saying the same things about IBS since I was kid. Eat your greens, eat your fruits, eat your beans--and all I got was MAJOR PAIN! You know how it is...Now that I'm an adult I make my own decisions--but hearing from your mom all over again that you're doing it all wrong and wasting your time is FRUSTRATING! Part of me feels I would be better off to steer clear from medical discussions with my mom--and part of me wants to stand up for myself and help her make her life better. I'm beginning to realize though that the best I can do is live my life and hope that I make the right decisions--and that this will influence her positively. If she sees that I am healthy and happy--maybe she'll come around! (But that doesn't stop the frustration!) As for the zelnorm--it's okay that it didn't work for me. I'm just nervous to take a laxative--esp. after undergoing a colonoscopy! Hopefully I'll brave it out and try it; I'll let you know how it works if I do work up the courage to try it! I also got the hypnotherapy tapes and I plan to start them tonight--I'm psyched about that! I'm sure SOMETHING out there will work! And, if nothing else--this board is certainly an upper--everyone is SO supportive--it's hard to stay feeling down with everyone caring about everybody else the way we do here--it's GREAT! Thanks again Angela--hope you're doing well!!!

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4833 - 04/01/03 05:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Jrs,

I'm sorry to confuse you! Zelnorm is for IBS C and so is Miralax...Miralax is a laxative! I don't think you want one of those!!! Thanks so much for writing--I hope you're doing well. Take care!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4835 - 04/01/03 05:20 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi Ruchie! I just started Zelnorm and am loving it! I've had 3, count them 3, bowel movements today. And no pain! Hopefully it will last, we will see.

I have tried Miralax and it didn't help me, just made me gassy and bloated. But, I have a friend who loves it!

Heather's diet is great, although I have to modify it. I am insulin resistant and the extra carbs make me gain weight. I try to stick to low fat, high protein, medium carbs and seem to be doing okay.

Good luck with the Miralax!

#4839 - 04/01/03 05:26 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Quote:

Jrs,

I'm sorry to confuse you! Zelnorm is for IBS C and so is Miralax...Miralax is a laxative! I don't think you want one of those!!! Thanks so much for writing--I hope you're doing well. Take care!

Ruchie

That wouldn't really do me much good then, eh? Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Jrs You're welcome! -nt- new
      #4851 - 04/01/03 06:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4878 - 04/02/03 02:21 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thanks Ruchie,
its makes me feel so good to have people i can relate to. As for the colonoscopy, I havnt had one eathier, but i do want one. Im just scared about the prep. As for my mom, whenever my stomach hurts, she tells me to take a tyenlol the worst part about that is that tyenlol makes my stomach hurt worse! In times like that, i pretend to the medicine. hehehehe. I know what you mean about laxaives. When I first started out with IBS, i was actually IBS-C, and i was afraid to take a laxative too. I'm now Ibs-d though, and i wouldnt touch with a laxative with a 10 foot pole
thanks again!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4903 - 04/02/03 08:09 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I have taken both Zelnorm and Mirilax. Zelnorm worked for a while, but stopped. Mirilax didn't really work for me either. I started taking it on a Tuesday and I did not have a bm until the following Wednesday. My doctor suggested I take it twice a day, but I have not started doing that. I'm just not too keen on taking that much of a laxitive. Let me know how if works for you.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#4904 - 04/02/03 08:21 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

I've pretty much decided not to take it, it's not a long term solution so why start? I've heard more bad than good. I'm gradually working the insol fiber in with all the sol fiber and it is starting to do the trick, gradually.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#4922 - 04/02/03 11:42 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I wouldn't advise staying on a laxative for two long, you might get some bad side effects. To be sure ask your doctor.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review