All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Han it sure is a very small world
      #477 - 02/06/03 03:33 PM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Hi Han,thank you for your help,you also hail from the land of the youth,thats the Irish for you, if you can understand the lingo.I have mailed Heather,just wanted you to know.
I'v been trying on and off all day to send post,this time it wasn't me the page was frozen,i could read and browse but not reply or send,whatever the reason was i don't know anyway it is ok at the moment.Now for a little info,anyone have tips or experience regarding ibs and Weight Watchers
(2)I always drink hot water before a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, weight watchers say some lemon juice in the water is very good for you but i'm not sure if this would upset my ibs,i am ibs (c)
(3)Since starting soluable food some weeks before Christmas every thing is just great,i take fibergel but i think i was doing a very stupid thing with this,over here i have been told to drink water warm or at room temp,so when mixing fibergel i used the water warm and suddenly after weeks of my (c) under control greatly i was (c) over the last two days,now maybe this has nothing to do with the warm water with fibergel but just an odd bout of (c)anyone here have an idea on this.It was great to see rice crispies for breakfast as i am a bit fed up with oatmeal,i have tried soy milk,didn't like it but will have a go,do you have Alpro in your countries? I miss chopped fresh fruit salad
soooooo much,before i knew it was ibs like everyone i'm sure
i eat everything so was not aware this could be a problem.
I think that is it for now,thank's again.
Tina.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Han it sure is a very small world new
      #478 - 02/06/03 03:47 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sharon Mello on the recipe exchange board is awesome with weight watchers. I know nothing about the soluble fiber tablets you're taking. Sorry! I miss fresh fruit, too. Can you get instant biscuit mix in Ireland? If you can, I'll send you a yummy dessert recipe that's great with berries or peaches. If you can tolerate it, you could very finely chop a very small amount of fresh fruit and add it to your rice crispies. You could try the soy milk in your cereal first - it may be easier than drinking it straight. And Thank God potatoes are safe. I get teased mercilessly over the amount of taters I eat. I have the Irish temper to go with them. (Courtesy of Dad, of course!) As an interesting point - I have had complete strangers come up to me and say "You're Irish.". It always makes me smile.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#481 - 02/06/03 05:12 PM
shannon114

Thank you for your reply han,i will send in post to sharron.
The fibergel i take is powder,you mix it with water.
Your Father probably has a little Irish accent left?
It's one thing that is difficult to leave behind,i would think.What part of Ireland does he come from,i come from Wexford,it's called the Sunny South East i still can't figure out why as the sun is like ourselves come day go day
and if you can figure that one out you have to be Irish.
All the best Han.
Tina.

#499 - 02/07/03 07:46 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I don't want to crash the Irish party (my name is Shannon but no Irish blood), but I have to recommend rice milk if you don't like the soy. Plain Rice Dream tastes just great on cereal and I use vanilla flavored to make hot cocoa. Plus, it's white instead of tan so it seems more like regular milk.

#524 - 02/07/03 01:21 PM
shannon114

Hi sek,thank you for the info,i have seen rice dream and was thinking of trying it,i will do so now.By the way our little Collie dog is called Shannon and we love her to bits,i just love that name,hope you don't mind.We did have a pure Labrador,we called her Broná but sadly she got very sick and had to be put to sleep,broke our hearts,Shannon is a rescue we got her at the shelter just in time she was only seven weeks old,i'm getting carried away now,back to ibs thank's for the info.
Tina.

#575 - 02/08/03 01:27 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

Tini, Hi - Sharon Mello here re your questions on Wt Watchers. I've been following their regimen for almost 2 years and have lost almost 44 lbs--a former shadow of myself! Eating all that insoluble fiber is what got me into trouble, diarrhea/constipation-wise. Finally found Heather's site and books and it's been much better. I've had to make a lot of changes in WW recipes and changes in Heather's recipes to keep myself stable. Anyway, I think the lemon in the water is a personal preference--personally I don't like lemon in my drinks, but I love it in food, especially fish. The warm/hot water to drink--I haven['t heard of that. Fruits give me problems too so I make smoothies, either with the WW Smoothies or just my own recipe. I use fresh or frozen fruit and by the time the blender does its thing to it, it shouldn't hurt, but everyone's different. For instance, I use 1 cup of FF or lo fat vanilla soy or rice milk, 1 cup of Dole Paradise Blend juice, 2-3 packets of Equal or regular sugar, a snack-pak container of fruit cocktail in its own juice, about 4 ice cubes and let 'er rip! You get 2 med size servings--I share mine with my husband. That way, I cut down on the points and fill up on the smoothie.

Breakfast cereals are best with vanilla soy or rice or almond milks. I try to buy the lite or FFree. Try other rice cereals like Rice Chex, Rice Krispies, etc. I alternate them with Quaker flavored instant oatmeals. I don't like the fruit and cream ones, tho. I prefer the cinnamon, etc. and use water to make them. That also cuts down on the points by about 1-2.

I'm not an expert when it comes to WW, but I can try to find answers for you.

I take the fiber pills, generic at Wal-Mart are the cheapest and they have the same ingredients as the Citrical. Do they have Wal-Marts in Ireland?

If there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to post. Good Luck!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#585 - 02/08/03 02:14 PM
shannon114

Thank you Sharon for your reply,i have just read your post.I have some things to ask you about but will have to post you tomorrow as here in Ireland it is 10:15,we are just going out with friends,will post you tomorrow and thanks again.
Tina.

#598 - 02/09/03 06:31 AM
shannon114

Hi Sharon,first thank's so much for your informative reply and congradulations on the weight loss.Some of the items you mentioned we don't have them here but i will study and substitute.I use Fibogel and i would think it is simular to what you use.I have not started to blend fruit yet,is it safe to use any kind of fruit in the blender?We have all the soy products and rice milk but i know it will take time to get used to this,i was never a milk drinker anyway.
The info you sent me is a great help,by the way i have joined WW again,must have a share at this stage.Many thanks again and i will let you know how i'm doing.
Tina.

#610 - 02/09/03 07:12 PM
SharonMello

Tina - re the fruit in blender. I guess it depends on what your triggers are. You could experiment. But I wouldn't put the skins in--only if you can tolerate them. Grapes I love, especially the red seedless, but they wreak havoc on me so I've been putting about 10 in the blender with the other stuff I mentioned and they get ground up so well they don't seem to bother me when I drink the smoothie. Of course, they're hard to peel and my husband won't do it for me! Looking forward to your next post.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#626 - 02/10/03 11:19 AM
shannon114

Hi Sharon,thanks again,have you ever put all kinds of fresh fruit in a juicer? and is it wise not to drink liquid with your meal,i only have water,i thought someone wrote in that it says in Heather's book not to.I have loads of things to ask about but will do so little by little,i'v enjoyed your posts since i joined,i'v learned a lot in my short time here
and am very grateful,thanks a mill.
Tina.

#662 - 02/11/03 09:20 AM
SharonMello

Tina - I don't have a juicer. I use the blender to make the drinks. I know the juicer takes out all the pulp and may make the fruits better for your system. Let me know if you use the juicer and how things come out (no pun intended)!

About drinking water w/meals, I do because...well, I don't know why! Guess I should brush up on reading Heather's books again, huh?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#665 - 02/11/03 10:24 AM
shannon114

Hi Sharon,i'm going to try the fruit in the juicer and keep my fingers crossed,i shall let you know how i do.Thanks for the reply again.
Tina.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1012 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5840

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review