All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ProFibe
      #47273 - 03/01/04 07:37 AM
ChristineT

Reged: 03/01/04

Hi again,

Very new to this, thanks for your understanding. The last time I had problems with IBS was in my 20's Can stress have anything to do with it. Never researched it. Just took a diet a nutritionist gave me, and that was it. Now I want more understaind of this. Just bought your book Heather. Eating for IBS. Wonderful.

I've been reading on the posts to use powder fiber to help constipation. Before I knew of this site, I was using ProFibe from the health store. Then tried psyllium husks. NOT GOOD!! I was up at 3:00 AM with such pain. what is that anyway. Is that pain spasms, or constipation?

Anyway, I also have this ProFibe that is less harsh then psyllium. What am I looking for in a powder?

This has: Protein (non-GMO soy) Guar gum, citus pectin, arabic gum, vanilla.

Thanks again for all your help.

Christine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ProFibe new
      #47298 - 03/01/04 10:51 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Christine! I've never heard of ProFibe, but based on the ingredients it looks like it should be fine. Guar gum is also the main (and actually only) ingredient in Benefiber. I would try it out and see if it works for you... we all seem to get vary on which fiber supplements work best for us. If you want to learn more about them check out Heather's info here. You're definitely smart to stay away from Psyllium. What you felt was probably cramping and intestinal spasms... not something any of us enjoy going through, especially when it's caused by a fiber supplement that's supposed to be helping you!

As for the stress making your IBS worse, OH YES that's possible. As a matter of fact, it's pretty probably. Stress and anxiety are some of the worst triggers for IBS. They don't cause it, but they can make it so much worse. That's my the hypnotherapy program has been so helpful for so many people, because it really reduces anxiety!

I hope that helps. Welcome to the boards, and I'll see you around!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review