All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Suggestion new
      #221546 - 10/27/05 05:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I don'y know any names but I've seen books in the library and bookstore. Basically you really just need to know the GI rating of different foods and switch to the better ones!

Something like the Good Carb Cookbook would probably be good as it says it's got tables of food. Remember that you'd have to vet the recipes for IBS-safe-ness tho.

I use the idea myself, but not seriously - I avoid sugar and try to choose better GI foods, etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Suggestion new
      #221671 - 10/27/05 05:52 PM
budahbelly

Reged: 10/26/05
Loc: Virginia

Yea i just went out and got "Living the GI diet," so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

GOOD!!! new
      #221691 - 10/27/05 08:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

1. Carbs do not make you fat/gain weight. Indeed, studies have shown/proven that carbs keep you lithe and energized and SATIATED. Most people that have sustained weight loss of over 25 lbs. for 2 years, plus, eat TONS OF CARBS.

2. Certain carbs cause people upswings in bloodsugar--those individuals should be gi index aware. Other foods lower foods with a high glycemic index pulse.

3. Foods high in SF are awesome for burning bellyfat. It's that whole "oatmeal" lowers cholesteral way of living.

So...ultimately, excess calories make you gain, not carbs.
If anything carbs keep the metabolic fire burning and energize you for SWEATING, burning, etc. at the gym...on the treadmill...mall-walking, nature-walking, the swimming pool, etc., etc.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Carbs? Good or Bad?? I'm confused!! new
      #245033 - 02/08/06 12:15 PM
tistenleigh

Reged: 10/16/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta .Canada

fad diets are the enemy..
just use common sense when it comes to weight lose..stick to low fat and eat healthy...stay active..
i also recently read that it's super important that you eat every three hours and don't skip breakfast, lunch or dinner... therefore your body doesn't starve and then when you go to eat it stores the fat ..not knowing when it will be getting food again..makes sense.

Re: south beach diet new
      #295613 - 01/08/07 10:51 AM
Dave K

Reged: 01/08/07
Loc: Brooklin, ON

Hi,
I have been following Heather's guidelines for just over a year after finally going to a doctor about the terrible IBS related problems I was having for a few years (progressively getting worse). I got married about 2 1/2 years ago and it seems that my IBS got much worse around that time. I was trying to loose weight for the wedding and I bought the South Beach Books and followed them carefully. I have to agree it was much healthier than Atkin's but it was terrible for IBS patients like me. I did loose 20 pounds on South Beach but put 35 back on when I let carbs back in my diet, not to mention the terrible IBS-D that all the meat and IF was causing.

Long story short... although not feeling 100% all the time on Heather's pep caps, Powder and diet I have lost over 50lbs and have been more stable then ever. I have kept it off for over a year and have only fluctuated =/- 5 or 6 lbs. It's pretty significant cause it equated to 26% of my whole body weight.

I thought carbs were the enemy where in fact they are keeping me healthy (relatively). So be very careful with these low carb diets. High carbs (SF) and low fat worked much better for me.

--------------------
Dave IBS-D

#366615 - 12/28/11 01:02 PM
mnm

Reged: 12/28/11

I actually was doing the SBD when my symptoms got worse and went to Doctor and it looks like I have IBS predom constipation -but Im reading the books from Heather and this website and changing my diet and noticing Im more regular and not having as much gas pain and bloating:)!!! Who knows like you said it may be all the splenda Ive been using over the years. But this is where Im at now-how to loose weight but also control my symptoms for not only this but interstial cystitis that can go hand in hand too Ive read, that I was dx with about a year ago. Ive lost weight in the past restricting my carbs such as bread, rice, potatoes-all the things that help me and eating a lot of salads etc that make it worse:P. I also can already tell the Tummy Fiber is helping that I take before each meal. So far I have gained a few pounds since I got this news and I am trying to get myself at a more healty weight for The Lord willing future pregnancy:) So any tips would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks

#367530 - 05/29/12 11:01 PM
unsinkable777

Reged: 05/14/11

Splenda and Sorbitol are two entirely different products. I can't tolerate Sorbitol at all, but have no problem with Splenda.
karen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29508

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review