All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Colitis - UPDATE after your posts new
      #5245 - 04/06/03 01:34 PM
KaybeeC

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Ohio

You're welcome, Heather - I look forward to the IBD board when it's up and running.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colitis - just diagnosed after colonoscopy & biopsy - starting new med - anyone else with colitis? new
      #5315 - 04/07/03 11:56 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a year ago, and remember feeling exactly the way you do. I was so sick and weak and scared to death that I wouldn't be able to work. Adding to the problem was that my first doctor gave me the impression that I would completely recover and this would all be in the past. Luckily with the help of a new doctor, I learned to accept that this was something I would have to adjust to for the rest of my life, but that I would eventually feel better. I remember lying in bed and not even being able to keep water down, but eventually with the right medication and gradually introducing safe food into my diet, I was able to eat again. Heather recommended the fish oil supplements, and I have read this also. I never used it, but for some reason the one food my body always seemed to accept when I was sick was tuna. I think in some way my body knew what it needed. I hope you are starting to feel better by the time you get this post, but if not trust me it will get better.

Re: Colitis - just diagnosed after colonoscopy & biopsy - starting new med - anyone else with colitis? new
      #5581 - 04/09/03 04:48 PM
KaybeeC

Thank you SO much for your reply! I really need the encouragement - the IBS / colitis double-whammy is not too much fun. I'm taking Asacol for the colits and dicyclomine for the IBS / spasms. I'm still eating a very limited diet - and have been craving tuna! I really love tuna patties (better than veggie burgers) but I've been afraid to try any type of tuna. I'm going to be brave and try them this weekend - modifying the recipe, of course. I'm training for a call-center job right now, at FedEx, and it's very stressful - but I would love to be hired permanently there. The people are very nice, but I just pack my cooler and eat in my car - besides the limited diet, I need the extra rest in the middle of the day. Mornings are my worst time, typically, and it's hard to adjust to the new, early hours. Again, thank you so much for your reply - and it was actually a "gift" - today's my 51st birthday! YAY!

#5603 - 04/09/03 07:45 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I know this is totally off topic...but do you have a stiff screening process for Fedex because I have never
met an ugly FEDEX guy! We have the best FEDEX delivery man! Ooooolala!

Every week we ship a package to the US and he always comes in! I am beginning to love Thursdays LOL.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Happy Birthday Kaybee C! new
      #5639 - 04/10/03 07:58 AM
annmarie

I'm taking Colazal for my Crohn's and Librax for the IBS. I've started to decrease the Librax and my doctor says I should be able to stop it eventually and only use it when needed. Make sure you take your Pentasa as directed everyday. I made the mistake in the beginning of my Crohn's diagnosis of not always taking my meds and I paid for it. I have the most trouble in the mornings too, and I read somewhere that it's because we've been inactive while we sleep. I find that if I push my self to do a little physical activity, like walking or even just straightening up the house, I start to feel better. Stress is also a huge factor for me. I moved about 6 months after being diagnosed and when I needed to get a new job, actually decided to take something that was less pressure. I'm also a big control freak and I had to accept that I can't control everything, and need to make adjustments and change accordingly. My husband just had a kidney transplant about a month ago, and I actually got through the surgery, hospital stay and his recovery without any major problems. I've accepted that my house may not always look perfect and I may not be the star employee at work, but after feeling as sick as I was a year ago I realize that those things are not really that important.
I read the book that Heather suggested on your first year w/ IBD. It's very informative and covers a lot of topics I hadn't even thought about.
Hope the tuna works out for you, and I hope you had a great birthday!

Re: Happy Birthday Kaybee C! new
      #5705 - 04/10/03 05:44 PM
KaybeeC

Thanks so much for the reply! My birthday was great - flowers from nieces & nephews, along with a lot of cards!

About the meds - Is Pentasa the same as Asacol? Also, I asked my doctor (primary care - not GI) about Librax, because I had been given that about 25 years ago, when they called it "spastic colon". She wouldn't prescribe it. I think I'll look into it and ask the GI doctor when I see her in a couple of months. Regarding jobs and stress: the first week of training at FedEx is almost over, and each day has been a little worse - more bloating, and today, near the end of class, I felt warm and faint - and tonight I had to take Imodium after dinner because I recognized the gurgling, mild cramping & soft BM as a warning sign that tomorrow might not be so great! And, I absolutely have to show up every day during training - which will be another 3 weeks, then on-the-floor coaching for 60 days! It's definitely not a low-stress job, but the pay is better than average and so are the benefits. Right now, that's a huge consideration for me! The job market is so tight here. Getting physical activity is a definite challenge now, too - seem to need more rest! However, FedEx has a tiny fitness room with a treadmill and recumbent bike which I can use. Maybe I could use it a few minutes before work - that might help in the morning.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your info and for the birthday hello!

#5708 - 04/10/03 06:02 PM
KaybeeC

Gee, I haven't noticed "good-looking" as a requirement! All the couriers I've met so far are women! But it reminds me of something funny: one day, I was volunteering to sit at the reception desk at church, on a Monday, and I didn't know the new secretary well at all. A UPS driver came into the office, with a bouquet of roses! He said he had a delivery for "Joanie" - well, she came out of her cubicle and walked up and took the roses - and then she wrapped her arms around him and gave him a long kiss! I didn't know what to think! When they turned around and saw me, they burst out laughing - that's when I found out they had just gotten engaged over the weekend! They said "if you could have seen your face!" - I was sure I was on Candid Camera! I'll keep my eyes peeled for the good-looking FedEx guys now that you've brought this to my attention! At my "advancing" age, not sure I'm too interested - but always nice to see a "good face" as my little niece calls it!

#5743 - 04/11/03 06:43 AM
annmarie

I'm not sure, but I think that Pentasa, Colazal and Asacol are all in the same classification of drugs. I used to take Pentasa but then my doctor switched me to Colazal. I think it might have something to do with where your inflamation is located. I also took Entocort for awhile which is a steroid, but does not have all the side effects of prednisone. The Librax has helped me some, but I'm trying to get off of it because it makes me sleepy. I know the meds are important for the IBD, but I find the diet is more important for the IBS.

#5746 - 04/11/03 07:05 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Kaybee C! Happy birthday to you (and many more)!!!!!

*hugs*
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5795 - 04/11/03 03:08 PM
KaybeeC

Thank you so much! What a nice board this is! As for the "many more" - I hope time goes a little more slowly for the 2nd half!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review