Reged: 12/17/03

Post deleted by rick401

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? new
      #45236 - 02/16/04 03:54 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Hi Chris.sorry you are feeling so down.I,m a lets say older person.just found out I had IBS last year.I eat Rice,Chicken
fish,bake potato,rice cereal.my hubby an I have been marry for 51 1/2 years.thank god for him.he has been by my side from day one.I,m also on Acacia have been takeing it since Oct.up an down.but now I,m takeing 2 tbs 1 in the morning an 1 before supper.I still bloat real bad but today was the first day I have had diarrhea in a long time.an I ate some chicken stew so that may have been the bad boy.please take care of yourself.an wish I could help you out more.Gerry
it is all so confusing.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Re: water ? new
      #45240 - 02/16/04 04:11 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Chris,
I know what it's like to have low funds- I'm on a super tight budget too. I tried filtering our water with a Brita filter, but it didn't help. If you go to the drugstore you should be able to find some kind of RO or distilled water- if you buy it in a larger container (1 gallong or 5 gallon) it's cheaper. Just try it for a couple of weeks, and see if it helps???? I get mine delivered- it costs me about $30 a month altogether- but worth every single penny. It's alot cheaper if you have a car and can pick it up. I'm also looking into getting a home filtration system- Nimbus makes a small faucet mounted Reverse Osmosis unit (about $90 american, more cdn) and I've been looking at small countertop distillers (anyone reading this post tried either of these???) These options would be much cheaper over the long term.
As for yoga, I've never done it from a book but I'm sure almost any book would work. Maybe ask on the yoga board? I really encourage you to try it, as I said it really, really helps my anxiety.
Good luck, hope things get better soon!
Laura

#45255 - 02/16/04 06:02 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Hi, Chris. (I hope I'm not posting this twice: something odd just happened with the computer, so I'm trying this again!) You were asking about how CBT is adapted to IBS. In fact, it isn't, or wasn't when I worked with it. It just tries to get at what the thoughts/behaviours/beliefs are that cause anxiety. We worked with the popular and very good book, Mind Over Mood. It's a self-help book, but I really recommend working with a therapist who is experienced in CBT, which many are these days.
By the way I misspelt the name of the psychologist whose study is in Heather's archives: it's Shelagh Emmot.
Good luck with whatever methods you decide to go with,
Linda

Immodium & NHS new
      #45285 - 02/17/04 01:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get Immodium on the NHS as Loperamide (the drug's name). Thinking about our lovely health system, have you thought of getting a pre-paid prescription certificate? These cost £32 for four months, but then you can get as many prescriptions as you like. Makes IBS a lot cheaper for me.

Good luck with the stress! I had a lovely hot bath last night, but ruined the rlaxing effect by reading a magazine depsite having a headache, which it made worse. Doh! Got out feeling very stupid.

#45298 - 02/17/04 06:30 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Chris,

I really feel for you. I suffered for months with no relief with anything. What probiotics are you taking and how many? I'm using Primal Defense. They are quite expensive (more so up here in Canada) but they have made an incredible difference in my life. And it's only really expensive for the first few months. I have also found them to be very helpful in answering my questions about their products. I usually get a response in a few hours.

I also used the hypnotherapy which was nice and sure helped. Have you looked into lactose-intolerance? That's what really helped me. I cut out all lactose (and that's not always easy to do!) and it's helped also. Now I just need to get my stress under control.

You didn't say whether you were a Christian or not. I am a strong believer in the healing power of our Lord and have found that prayer and reading the Bible help me immensely. There are a few threads on this and some suggested readings if you are interested. I am using prayer as my relaxation time as well as pilates and am going to try in add yoga back in to my day. I also get some aerobic exercise so I'm running the whole gamut.

You mentioned in another post about your coffee. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but that could be a source of trouble too. I found for me (and I had horrible D) that coffee or indeed any caffeine really did me in. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days when I can't get enough sleep due to my son being quite ill and I'm not a saint where Heather's diet is concerned but knowing that it has helped makes it a lot easier to deal with the restrictions on food. I most especially miss carbonated drinks. But I haven't had one in almost a year and there are nice substitutes out there! Lemonade sure is nice! And slurpees will at least let me feel like one of the gang sometimes! I will pray for you for relief.

Corinne

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

#45346 - 02/17/04 09:29 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

What a blessing to have a supportive spouse!!! That is nice to know.

I sure hope you can find answers soon for you sanity and health. What is the health care system like in your country? You mentioned you don't have health insurance - is there a way to get the tests you nedd without the insurance?

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? *DELETED* new
      #45351 - 02/17/04 09:59 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

Re: Heather, what would you do in my shoes? *DELETED* new
      #45352 - 02/17/04 10:05 AM
Desert Phoenix

Post deleted by rick401

Glad to hear you have a sense of humor still! - NT new
      #45357 - 02/17/04 10:14 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7817

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review