All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help! Newby who feels lost, confused, and afraid!
      #44506 - 02/12/04 06:44 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

HI. I was diagnosed with ibs 3 years ago, at age 46.
Until 2 weeks ago, I was ibs-d; but for now I'm ibs-C.
I don't know what caused the big change.
I went to the Dr., and she gave me Flagyl and Zelnorm. (She didn't do any tests, just an exam).
She also told me to eat fiber. I had a bowl of bran, shredded wheat; but only one.
It wreaked even more havoc than I was already in!
After 5 more days of no relief from the pain, bloating, and absolute discomfort; I found this site. I didn't have many of the recommended foods on hand, but I had rice.
So, yesterday, that's what I ate throughout the day. I couldn't believe that not only did I not get worse, but I got through the whole day without any pain at all. I finally felt like me again!
Now, I'm just living on a nightmare edge; waiting and hoping that I don't go back to the dark side!
Does anyone know what might have made me go from ibs-d to c so quickly? I never had that kind of intense, prolonged pain with the d side of it.
Now, I'm waiting for my eat for ibs book to arrive, and I'm so afraid to eat.
I'm new and know nothing about any of this. Even though I've had ibs for awhile; I had no treatment of any kind. I just lived with it as best I could.
I feel confused, and would like to know; what is the most important thing a newby can eat or do, while waiting for more help to arrive!
Thanks in advance,
Terri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! Lemme post you this link new
      #44513 - 02/12/04 07:13 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

A good starting list and safe foods

I don't have much help to offer. Just read through the website, read the books, read labels on all food you buy, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

I'm still new to this and confused, too. I'm learning with you. Others on here will have much more help for you because they've been on this diet longer. I also haven't been able to experiment with much of the recommended stuff because i don't have much money. Sorry i can't offer more help. I can offer my support and my empathy though. I know what you're going through. I have IBS-C. I'm still dealing with the last episode I had, but it's more under control with this information from heather's website than ever before. Good luck and take care!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: Welcome! Lemme post you this link new
      #44515 - 02/12/04 07:16 AM
MissS

Thank you Sommer. It really does help knowing that I'm not alone in this kind of suffering and everything else that goes along with ibs.

Re: Help! Newby who feels lost, confused, and afraid! new
      #44516 - 02/12/04 07:17 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Hi TeeCee,

Don't be afraid to eat! Its all about what you choose to eat! Did you look around on this site, besides the message boards? There is TONS of great information that would help you and get you moving in the right direction!

Eat fresh sourdough or french bread. Find a white bread at your local bread shop. I like Great Hearvest. Just be sure to check ingredients. NO dairy. You will get the hang of it in no time. Drink peppermint, fennel, and chaomomile tea. You can find that at a health food store or your local grocerie store. Rice and pasta are good choices too. Applesause unsweetened all natural is fine to eat.

Do some looking around on this site and you'll find lots of good info. Including a list of safe food and food to stay away from.

How is Zelnorm working for you? I'm trying to decide if I want to give it a try! Let me know how its going for you!

Good luck!

--------------------

Sommer, thanks new
      #44517 - 02/12/04 07:18 AM
MissS

by the way, I'm on an extremely limited income, too. So, I also have that in common with you!

#44518 - 02/12/04 07:22 AM
MissS

Hi StephS.
The Zelnorm has been of some help to me. I'm able to have bowel movements in the mornings; even though they're not normal looking yet. I haven't had any side effects, either. (I was almost hoping to have the diarrhea side effect, but that didn't happen). Sorry for all the gross detail.

#44520 - 02/12/04 07:28 AM
MissS

By the way, StephS, thanks for your reply. I forgot to answer the other stuff. Yes, I've looked around this web site. I guess I just feel so overwhelmed, and I'm just trying to get over this fear. I feel so irrational!
Thanks for the help.

#44528 - 02/12/04 07:58 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Terri:

I've had IBS probably since birth. However, I only really found out that I had it last year -- at age 45.

Up until my early 30s I had IBS-C. Then, suddenly, I began to experience IBS-D. Nowadays I am predominantly IBS-D and only occasionally IBS-C (if I don't eat my veggies).

I guess it's possible an IBS person can go through various stages with IBS in the course of his or her life. At one point, in the early 1990s, I was able to eat just about anything, with almost no IBS ill effects at all. Go figure! Now, for years though, I am on a very restricted diet to control my IBS.

I don't know if enough research has been done into IBS to know whether there are stages that an IBS person can go through, and/or why someone who is predominantly IBS-C or IBS-D could suddenly switch to have predominantly the opposite ill effect. But I bet you and I are not the only ones on this message board to experience this.

Please don't be afraid to eat! The diet information in Heather's books is also on this website so you don't have to wait to receive her books to learn about the diet.

I think of Heather as an incredibly sweet and caring person -- perhaps the sweetest and most caring in the world! -- because she posts her diet information for free on this website as opposed to someone who would seek to profit by solely making the diet information available in a book that has to be purchased.

Please feel better soon!

Belinda

#44538 - 02/12/04 08:18 AM
MissS

Belinda,
Well, once again, it does help when you know of others who have experienced the same thing! I agree with you, that this is a Wonderful Site. I've been all over the web, and I'm so happy to have found Heather's site. I'm looking at this as a chance for a new beginning and new hope! AND, a place where I can meet people like me; and be free to talk about it!!!

#44600 - 02/12/04 11:23 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome! You will feel better and you will understand how to manage this. Go through the dietary guidelines at the beginning of the message boards (right below where you click for IBS Diet board). It should answer a lot of your questions.
Hop over to the friendly recipe board for some ideas how to cook for IBS (It's not difficult! I promise!)
If you don't know what caused the C, we won't either. I would forget it and focus on the now. If it happens again, you know how to handle it. D and C are like 2 sides of the same IBS coin. C often happens when the colon is so stimulated from the D that it just shuts down.
Also, go back to your Doc and INSIST that you have the tests done, and be sure to ask for a celiac test as well. You must have a proper diagnosis.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

np TeeCee :) nt new
      #44693 - 02/12/04 05:06 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#44751 - 02/13/04 06:24 AM
MissS

Thanks for the advice. It's VERY helpful. I want to go back to the Dr. asap; and of course, I'd like to have the tests, too! We don't have insurance and it's extremely hard to get good care without it. When I did have insurance, I didn't know I should have tests done. I believed my doctor. So, now I'm learning all these things I never knew. I've applied for insurance, and have to wait to be approved. My husband became disabled 1 1/2 years ago, so money of course, has been tight. In the meantime, I just try to take one day at a time and get through it. Probably like a lot of other people!

#44754 - 02/13/04 07:02 AM
MissS

Well, I can't insist on having tests done. (I tried that day!) I don't have insurance right now, and the dr. said that without it or an ability to pay, they won't do the tests. I'm trying to get insurance, but have to wait to be approved! Thanks for the advice, though, and asap, I will definitely have the tests, including celiac.

Re: soluble fiber foods and fiber! new
      #44759 - 02/13/04 07:14 AM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Hi Teecee,
I'm on a tight budjet like you and have found that sticking to soluble fiber foods REALLY helped, and it's cheap! And so did the fiber supplements (I take psyllium), but make sure you start slow and increase gradually. Good luck!
Laura

Re: soluble fiber foods and fiber! new
      #44761 - 02/13/04 07:20 AM
MissS

Well, it's nice to meet another financially challenged ibs-er! How slow would you suggest on the fiber? I bought some yesterday, but haven't tried it yet. I'm trying hard to stick to soluble foods. Do you mean just the stuff on the what you can eat, when you can't eat anything else list?

#44766 - 02/13/04 07:27 AM
Heather Fraser

Reged: 01/08/04
Loc: Ohio

I'm new too. I've had IBS-D most of my life (I'm 65). With diet and meds. it's been more or less under control but the last few years it has become severe. I'm looking forward to getting my book too and starting the diet - wish I'd found it earlier in life. My hopes for success are high and I think yours should be too. Everything I have read so far on this IBS site makes a lot of sense. I'm glad the rice helped you.

--------------------
Heather

#44985 - 02/14/04 11:24 AM
MissS

Well, Thanks, Heather, for the positive boost. We all need that, don't we? I did well for that one whole day, but then the next couple of days were back to bloating, gas, and pain. Yuk! But, at least now, we have hope!!!

#44986 - 02/14/04 11:27 AM
MissS

HanSolo,
Thanks for the advice. Asap, I will be sure to ask for the proper tests. Heck, Just any test would beat what I've had so far! Still waiting to hear about insurance; and then I'll be set to go!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2505

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review