All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My prgoress so far and a question - sorry this is long!
      #44488 - 02/12/04 04:16 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Just to clarify so i'm not misusing any terms I've seen here, C = constipation and D = diarrhea right? If that's the case, then I'm IBS=C. I have very little diarrhea anymore except with just the regular run of the mill indigestion i might get.

Thanks everyone for letting me share and/or rant. Take care! *big hugs to everyone*

Wow, omg, I am the coolest ever! Okay, maybe not, but for someone like me who is not the world's greatest cook, i did okay for myself. :P I just baked a couple chicken breasts. I had to go find a baked chicken breast recipe and guess on the time/temperature because I was just baking these plain. I don't have anything to put on them other than some salt, pepper, and some ginger. So i tried that and woo they were juicy and i timed them just perfectly.

Anyway, that wasn't my original reason for posting. i wanted to share with all of you my progress so far. It's very slow and frustrating. I'm on a no-string budget so right now, i'm on a very irregular eating schedule. I've always eaten small meals several times a day, sometimes even a few large meals in there, too, so it's not a huge change for me. Unfortunately, what i am eating isn't very filling or doesn't last long. I've thus far tried fennel tea, oregano tea, and peppermint tea. The fennel and oregano are just from the herbs and spices aisle of the store, the peppermint tea i bought at a drugstore while looking for fiber supplements.

Bad news too for now. The drugstore i went to had no fiber supplements. Not only that, but the aisle that held dietary supplements, vitamins, etc., has a specific person who takes care of the aisle and its contents and any customer who needs stuff from that aisle. That aisle also closes at 5 pm and i was there at 7 pm. The aisle is gated off otherwise and unless you know EXACTLY what you're looking for, exactly where it is in that aisle, the employees aren't supposed to let you go in there after it's closed. WHATEVER. I wanted to curse at someone and throw something. Anyway, i accidentally picked up a box of peppermint and a box of regular tea. It's called Green leaf Superb "D"'s Peppermint. The regular was Superb "D"'s REgular, same brand. I haven't touched the regular tea, but am going to try to see if i can return it since i have the receipt. I know, it's not like a shirt at a department store, but the worst they can say is no. The peppermint wasn't terrible, wasn't phenomenal, but as i remember, peppermint bloats me a lot. It was good peppermint tea though. I figure i'll keep the teabags for my emergency pack in my purse. I also bought something called Solaray Dietary Supplement organic excipient-free Ginger Root 100 vegetarian capsules. Directions: As a dietary supplement, take two capsules with meals or a glass of water. I took two the other night with water because i had already eaten, but it didn't seem to do me any worse. I took another two just now, but i also just finished eating. The only ingredients are organic ginger and then that's encased in a vegetable cellulose capsule. I also bought some powerdered oregano since it was cheaper for more. I dunno if it'll work okay for tea, but if not, i guess i can cook with it at least.

At the grocery store, I bought some saltines, a loaf of french bread, a couple of chicken breasts, some Mott's Fruitsations Banana applesauce, Honeycomb cereal, a small container of ground ginger to try to make tea from, but ground might not work as well. My selection was very, very limited. I saw soy swiss cheese, but i couldn't afford it.

Anyway, i've been living off french bread, different types of noodles (no egg though) with Hunt's herb and garlic sauce (with sugar to lessen acidity), honeycomb, pretzels (i'm getting sick of pretzels and i usually love them), fennel tea, oregano tea, peppermint tea, white rice, my friend's homeade chicken soup. The soup is gone now and now i have two chicken breasts. I'm obviously severely missing out on nutrients because of this diet so far. My culprits are lack of money and lack of selection here.

So far, I had one BM in the last week, which was last night. It felt like D but ended up being fairly normal (yay). My stomach is bloated constantly, but it's minor to moderate bloating. I had regular indigestion last night when i had the BM. Mostly I've been constipated though, irritable, frustrated, mad, etc. I've been drinking lots of water, of course. I also seem fine with a couple of twizzler's cherry nibs after a meal.

Oh yeah, my hubby and in-laws went to the olive garden for dinner that one night. OLIVE GARDEN!! That is sooo unfair..all those creamy sauces, the beef broth and beans in my favorite soup! I might have been able to eat the bread that night, but maybe not.

So, I'm still not out of this episode yet, but it's been lingering for so long, it's almost like i'm being punished for something. :P

I think i'm going to go crazy!! No, wait, crazier!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My prgoress so far and a question - sorry this is long! new
      #44494 - 02/12/04 04:48 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Yep, your definitions for C and D are correct. I am also IBS-C...but it takes a while to get that under control after a long bout of it. I have myself into a routine now, I get up and have my glass of fibre, then breakfast (either cereal with bran buds mixed in, cream of wheat with apple and brown sugar-yum, or oatmeal).

Ooooh, Olive Garden! Don't think about it (I loved the olive garden....lots on non-IBS safe stuff there!)

Sorry to hear about the $ problems, certainly alot of fresh and healthy food is not cheap. However, Have you been to the farmers market yet in Edmonton? I was there in March lastyear, and they have lots of goodies to eat there, perhaps in the summer they may have cheaper veggies (I cannot remember if there was much there when I was there, lots of crafts too)...Let me think what road it is on, it is right downtown...It's close to Saskatchewan Drive. They only have it every Saturday morning...

Is there another drug store near you OR a health food store where you can find fibre?

#44498 - 02/12/04 05:19 AM
Sommer

Hey there! My best bet is a safeway i think. The safeways in the U.S. carry fiber supplements. I have no clue what was up with this drugstore though. Ugh. Mmm, farmer's market... I've been here since late octorber of 03 so still trying to figure out where everything is and what there is. The safeway is kind of far and i can't drive and my hubby doesn't have a car. We use the bus a lot or walk. There is an IGA and that drugstore i mentioned, can't remember the name of it offhand walking distance from our apartment. My guess is safeway will have a much better selection if/when i can take a trip there. Thanks for the reply!

--------------------

#44522 - 02/12/04 07:42 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi Sommer; is there a Walmart where you are. they have quite a bit of stuff, like Fiber supplements, teas, and food at low prices. Take care Sue

#44672 - 02/12/04 03:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Sommer!

Make sure you get some insoluble fiber in. You have lots of great soluble, but since you are C, you especially need to make sure you get some insoluble so your C doesn't get worse. Just make sure you always have your insoluble with a soluble. Can you make Heather's Zucchini Bread? I knew you were low on pans. Wasn't sure if you had a bread pan. Or, try making veggie soup & pureeing, then serving over rice. Or pureeing veggies into a pasta sauce. Check out the Recipe Exchange for more ideas. Didn't you say you missed Hamburger Helper? (That was you, wasn't it? ) Try Dinner in a Bag. It reminds me of Hamburger Helper. Also, try pureeing fruits into smoothies.

Thanks Mags, I want to do all that... new
      #44702 - 02/12/04 05:43 PM
Sommer

...but i have no loaf pan, no baking pan, and no way to puree anything. See, when i moved here, i left all my stuff behind, including kitchen gadgets and kitchen pans, utensils, etc. My dear wonderful hubby decided NOT to buy any of this stuff before i showed up. Needless to say, we don't have the money now either to stock up on such necessary items, which he felt wasn't so necessary. I can't convey to you how mad this made me. How mad it still makes me. Yes, i actually already read that dinner in a bag recipe a couple days ago. It sounds great, but i can't make it. Same with the bread, i don't have a grater or a loaf pan. Ugh, I'm so MAD! Anyway, thanks for letting me know. I know i need more insoluable. I can feel it, literally. My body is running on very little right now and that's not good. I'll just keep wishing that the kitchen fairy will show up with what i need one day. Hah! Meantime, i guess i'll eat what i can eat and do as much as i can with what i have. No other choice. Yeah, that was me who missed hamburger helper. Most of the recipes i've found in the recipe exchange or on this board or in heather's newsletter sound absolutely wonderful. But except for an oven with a rangetop and a microwave oven and running water, i might as was well be living in the stone age when it comes to being able to prepare anything. I love smoothies too. *sigh* I miss MY kitchen. Sorry to dump this on everyone. I'm just so mad and i can't get over it because the situation doesn't change. All this dieting remindsd me how much i need more stuff. Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

#44708 - 02/12/04 06:10 PM
Sommer

Hi Sue, thanks, yes there is a wal-mart somewhere near where i live. Dunno where, lol. But, as soon as i have some funds, i'm headed to safeway and to wal-mart. Thank you for reminding me of wal-mart. I had completely forgotten that place. When i lived in arizona, wal-mart was like THE store i went to, ya know? Hehe.

--------------------

Former Edmontonian new
      #44733 - 02/12/04 09:17 PM
Tootsie

Reged: 12/03/03
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Sommer. I lived in Edmonton for 25 years (I am now in Vancouver). Let me know if you need directions to anywhere. I know the place well. Where abouts are you?

Garage Sales new
      #44765 - 02/13/04 07:26 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Why don't you go to garage sales to find baking supplies - like pans and mixers, etc? A lot of times people put out their old baking wear that still works, but may look really used. If the surface doesn't look clean enough to bake on, you can always use aluminum foil to cover it.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Garage Sales new
      #44790 - 02/13/04 09:40 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Quote:

Why don't you go to garage sales to find baking supplies - like pans and mixers, etc? A lot of times people put out their old baking wear that still works, but may look really used. If the surface doesn't look clean enough to bake on, you can always use aluminum foil to cover it.

I was thinkig the same thing! Either that or do they have dollar stores up there? Sometimes you can find pans there. As a matter of fact, when I'd first moved into my apartment, I bought 2 loaf pans at the dollar store. I totally forgot about that till now! lol Plus, a friend of mine had bought me a whole set of dishes at a garage sale.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1926

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review