All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating out with success (for me)
      #442 - 02/05/03 05:24 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi - "Gas Queen" here...today I had a Ladies Club luncheon to go to which was a special one about pairing chocolate with wines. Boy, was I apprehensive. So, this is what I did. About 1-1/2 hrs before I was to eat lunch, and I didn't know what they were going to serve, I ate about 3/4 cup white rice. When I got there, I had three pieces of sourdough baguette right before they served lunch. They served chicken salad--very light on any mayo--but it had small pieces of apple, nuts, plain arties, lettuce and white raisins with a raspberry vinegrette dressing. And, it was delicious. I chewed everything especially long before I swallowed. Then the wine and chocolate. I drank very little wine, but, boy, did I eat all the chocolate. I usually get gas right away even before getting up from the table and this time, nada, nil, zilch!!! I even ate some of the lettuce, but not until towards the end of lunch.

So, as Heather says, eat soluble fiber before the meal (like the bread and rice) and it really helped me a lot.

Just thought some of you would be interested in my story.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yay, Sharon!! new
      #484 - 02/06/03 06:58 PM
Jane

Reged: 01/29/03

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely remember the rice and bread tips. The way I see it, ANY time I can eat chocolate without an attack is cause to celebrate!

Re: Eating out with success (for me) new
      #488 - 02/06/03 10:42 PM
Will

Reged: 01/25/03
Loc: Seattle, Wa

Hey Sharon, good job! You are starting to sound like my wife. Because she has been following her diet for so long, she is much less sensitive to attacks and doesn't have to follow her diet so rigidly (even sneaking some of my deep fried fish and chips on a rare occasion).

She takes all those same precautions when she wants to treat herself to something a little dangerous and rarely is sorry for it, and I tell you, she loves chocolate.

Re: Yay, Sharon!! new
      #513 - 02/07/03 12:23 PM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

And a second way to go, Sharon! I have been rigidly following the course of eating soluble fiber before a meal. It does help. One of my trigger foods is onions...but when I start w/ the bread or rice first, I don't even know tht I have eaten onions....Now maybe I can start looking at chocolate again.

--------------------
Sue

Re: Eating out with success (for me) new
      #576 - 02/08/03 01:32 PM
SharonMello

Will - thanks. But I crave chocolate all the time. Like today--I have two of those wonderful chocolate truffles in my fridge and I keep seeing them there. I wanted one so bad today--I ate a rice krispie bar instead. How's that for will-power (no pun intended). Much safer too. But nothing tastes like chocolate--especially a wonderful truffle!! When I decide to eat one, I'll cut it into 4 pieces and eat one piece a day and see what happens! Am I adventurous or what?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Yay, Sharon!! new
      #577 - 02/08/03 01:33 PM
SharonMello

Jane - Amen to that!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review