All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
DO we ever feel "normal" again?
      #42712 - 02/02/04 05:11 PM
Missdarl

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Florida

It's going on two weeks since I've been diagnosed, and I'm eating the right foods, I'm pretty sure, because I havent had any major episodes, however, I still dont feel normal. My belly feels like its bruised all the time, and I'm so constipated yet I;ve always only had to go once a day and I'm still going once a day. I notice that several of you have also relied on laxatives. How often should I take them? I feel like I want to take them every night but I dont want to do something that's going to make it worse. I'm eating a soluble fiber just before each meal, cutting out most fats. No red meats. No dairy. I have not had any in between meal snacking just yet, no desserts, yet I feel like I'm gaining weight. I'm having a little pity party right now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DO we ever feel "normal" again? new
      #42714 - 02/02/04 05:34 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

It took me MONTHS to feel better. The gurgling, the bloating, etc.....months. Just stick to the diet and you shall be rewarded!

#42715 - 02/02/04 05:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

The answer is yes, but be patient. If you are suffering from constipation, that can take over 2 weeks to settle. Also, skipping snacks isn't necessarily a good thing. I would decrease what you eat at your "meals" and add a couple small snacks throughout the day. Large meals can cause problems.
For feeling bloated and "fat", well, fennel tea helps, and here's a link explaining why it isn't likely that you'll gain weight on this diet : web page
If you scroll up, there's lots of info on breaking the cycle of attacks, and how to get feeling better.
Hang in there.
As for laxatives, I would say a HUGE NO. They can irritate an already upset colon and cause more problems than they're worth. Take your soluble fiber supplements, drink tons of water, try to walk or exercise as much as possible, and you should start to feel better.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#42716 - 02/02/04 05:44 PM
Missdarl

Thanks Hans and Karin. I just want to sit and cry. But I'll take your advice and take it one step at a time. I printed that web page out. I guess its just overwhelming at first.

#42717 - 02/02/04 06:02 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

It took me over a year to feel completely (well, as close as possible) normal. Just give it some time. Don't give up on something b/c it doesn't return results immediately. I have a more constipation prevalent IBS and what seems to work pretty good for me is pasta. I try to incorporate pasta into almost every meal I eat besides breakfast, which is when I try to get some bread. Heather's french toast recipes are great for that.
I found that Better Homes & Gardens Dieter's Edition cookbooks have quite a bit of pasta recipes as well as chicken recipes that don't need any variation at all to be IBS safe. I suggest trying some of those. The key is to eat quite a few times during the day, but in small quantities.
I wish you luck over the next year or so.
If you need anything just ask. We're all here to help.

--------------------
Natalie

#42751 - 02/03/04 03:11 AM
Missdarl

Thanks Nat. I do well with pasta too. I think I was just overwhelmed last night and feeling sorry for myself because there is so much to learn and I thought if I just started eating right, I'd return instantly to normal. But I have another question for you. When you eat, do you have to eat just plain pasta (or any soluble fiber) alone first or can it be with other foods? Like if I take a pasta salad to work, do I need to eat the pasta first and then combine other things into it? I havent gotten any cookbooks yet but plan to this week. I want to get Heathers book on the First Years too.

Re:Yes, it is overwhelming at first... new
      #42752 - 02/03/04 03:27 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

.. we've all been exactly where you are and can understand just how you're feeling.

I agree with everything Han said especially the laxative advice. They're just not a good solution and only make things worse.

Try to take just one day at a time at the moment and be sure to know we're all here to help anytime you're down or have questions.

Best of luck,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#42850 - 02/03/04 01:57 PM
NatHosp

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say pasta salad. Most of the time "pasta salad" has mayonnaise in it which is not a good thing unless it is fat free.
I eat spaghetti with prego traditional sauce. Do not use butter or oil when cooking the noodles. Below are a couple of really good recipes that both me and my husband really like. You really don't need anything with them except for maybe a couple of plain white dinner rolls.(Make sure they are not made with whole wheat flour)
I hope you enjoy!! I definitely do!!

Chicken - Mushroom Pasta

2 2/3 cups dried penne pasta
12 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size strips
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil (I just used canola oil)
3 large cloves garlic, minced (I just used 2 ½ teaspoons minced garlic)
3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
½ cup chicken broth
¼ cup dry white wine (I just used another ¼ cup of chicken broth)
1 cup cut-up roma tomatoes
¼ cup fresh shredded basil leaves (I used 4 teaspoons basil)
3 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano (I used 3 teaspoons oregano)
¼ cup soy parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1. Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water according to package directions. Drain and return to saucepan; keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and garlic; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove from skillet; keep warm.

3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Cook mushrooms and onion in hot oil just until tender, stirring occasionally. Carefully add broth and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 2 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove skillet from heat.

4. Add cooked pasta, chicken, tomatoes, basil, and oregano to mushroom mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve immediately.

Sweet `N Sour Chicken

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
6 oz tomato paste
1 teaspoon ginger
½ cup onion, finely chopped
2 cups pineapple chunks in juice, undrained
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

Brown chicken chunks in oil until brown on all sides. Drain any excess oil. In mixing bowl, thoroughly combine broth, soy sauce, cider vinegar, tomato paste, ginger, and onion. Pour over chicken, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add pineapple and continue to cook, covered, for 15 more minutes or until chicken is done.

Mix together the cornstarch and water stirring until smooth. Add to the chicken mixture; cook an additional 1 to 3 minutes, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Serve over hot, cooked rice. (I use brown rice, because it is safer for IBS and also more nutritious)

Also, do a search on the IBS Recipe board for "Spicy Chicken Pasta" I posted it a few weeks ago.

--------------------
Natalie

#42866 - 02/03/04 02:28 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say pasta salad. Most of the time "pasta salad" has mayonnaise in it which is not a good thing unless it is fat free.

Actually I think even low fat mayo is fine for most of us!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#42885 - 02/03/04 04:32 PM
NatHosp

For some of us

--------------------
Natalie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review