All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy
      #42209 - 01/30/04 10:02 PM

Unregistered

Hi Guys I am a bit confused. Isn't soy made from a bean and doesn't beans cause gas and bloating for us IBS sufferers? I know beans do it to me. I am wondering whether or not I could drink soy milk or have any soy products? How about hydrogenated soybean oil, which seems to be added to nearly every product? I'm so grateful to find this website and board! Thank you and I hope everyone is feeling ok right now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy new
      #42252 - 01/31/04 08:24 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi and welcome!!

I admit I find it a little confusing too. But what I've gathered from other posts is that you have to start with small amounts til your system gets used to it. I think most people use it as a dairy substitute.

Anyway, I'm sure others will have more to say, so I'll just say, Keep coming back!! It's a great group!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#42301 - 01/31/04 10:27 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yup, LauraSue pretty much summed it up. Start small to get used to it. You can also use Beano while you're getting used to it.

#42465 - 02/01/04 11:41 AM

Unregistered

Hi LauraSue Thank you for the warm welcome, hon. Ohhh...now I understand...we need to start small and work up to an amount that our systems will eventually adjust to. Sounds good to ME.

Right now I am in the grip of a miserable cold and you know how THAT can be as far as food is concerned. Who can even TASTE it?

Yes I can certainly see that this is a wonderful group of people. What a shame that IBS had to be the catalyst for us coming together. But we must think positively! At least now through the efforts of Heather, there's this oh so necessary board for us and I hope to be able to talk with you again soon. Feel good!

#42467 - 02/01/04 11:47 AM

Unregistered

Hi Mags dear and thank you TOO for replying to my note. As soon as I feel like going out to the store I think I'll buy some more Beano when I buy the soymilk. I've tried Lactaid milk PLUS lactaid pills with the milk but believe it or not I STILL had gas and bloat from the dairy!! I must have a really sensitive GI tract. Feel good!

#42482 - 02/01/04 01:09 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That's probably because Lactaid milk still contains casein and whey, other milk proteins that are triggers for IBS.

You know, you can always try rice, almond, or oat milk instead of or along with the soy milk. Well, not mixed together in one drink, but sometimes use rice, sometimes soy, etc.

Hope you get over that cold soon!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3657 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1496

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review