All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anxiety producing upcoming event
      #4216 - 03/27/03 05:35 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

I need some advice. I've been having some real bad episodes with my stomach this past week. I've been following Heather's recommendations regarding a bland diet until I can get myself straightened out. Anyways, I teach fourth grade and have 30 students in my class. We have a field trip scheduled for Tuesday (like that isn't enough to make me anxious!). The part I'm most anxious about is that the destination is 1 hour and a half away from our school by bus. We are getting charter busses so bathrooms are available (of course, any one of you knows how horrible those are - imagine an episode in a bus bathroom!!!!!!!). I'm almost considering just getting out of it and asking for a substitute to go in my place. I know my class would be disappointed but I really need to think about me. Does anyone have any advice to help me get over the anxiety?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety producing upcoming event new
      #4217 - 03/27/03 06:22 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I am in the same boat. My son is going on a class trip and he wants me to come. I would love to go , but worry as well about the distance and the whole washroom thing. I guess we both have to just stick to the diet as best possible, take the fiber suppliments and relax!!!!!

#4220 - 03/27/03 07:31 AM
pinky

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Indiana

wac,

First of all, don't feel bad if cancelling is what you need to do - only you know how bad your symptoms have been lately. Take care of yourself. If going on the trip is really important to you, consider a normal day - Are you able to stay in your classroom for 1 and 1/2 hours or longer without needing a break? If so, you can use this fact to reduce your anxiety. Also the fact that there is a bathroom available if absolutely necessary should be of some comfort. Perhaps if you just ate the blandest of the bland foods the day before and don't eat before getting on the bus or during the trip (if you can handle that). Or take along some very bland safe snacks. Everyone's different, but that would be my game plan. Don't forget soluble fiber supplements before leaving home. You could take some capsules on the trip too and take them about midway through to help keep things stable. What about Immodium? I don't like to take it, but in situations where I feel particularily anxious, I usually take 1/2 or 1 beforehand. These tactics have gotten me through some very anxiety provoking events. I'm usually way tired and crash after the event, but overall feel good that I was able to "conquer" it. It raises my confidence level about handling future situations as well.

It sucks that we have to think of all these things before embarking on a trip, when other people can just get out of bed and leave home without a second thought. You are not alone. Let us know what happens.

pinky

#4223 - 03/27/03 08:01 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

My advice is one word IMMODIUM. Take some before you leave, even if you're not having any problems. I do that when I know I'll be in a situation where I won't have access to a bathroom, or when I don't want to be a pain in the butt to those I'm with! Carry some extras with you also.

#4264 - 03/27/03 11:47 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

HELLO! I taught too - I know where you're coming from. Seriously, I have IBS-D and Imodium worked perfectly for these occasions. Have a bowl of rice or something really bland for breakfast, and as others suggested, pack lots of safe snacks. Ie. low fat rice krispy squares. Whatever your decision is, accept it and move on. If it will take the pressure off you to have a sub go instead, fine. BUt if you want to go, GO. Enjoy.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 653 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review