All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm so confused !
      #42072 - 01/30/04 11:52 AM
gailkarenbrown

Reged: 01/28/04

the more i learn, the more confused i get.
firstly, i'm the mom - my daughter has ibs (we think) and she has become so depressed - she's 22 now but hasn't felt well for several years. she had a colonoscopy this week - waiting for biopsies but doctor suspects she has an anal-rectum function problem. he wants her to have an analrectal manometry, but we have to wait a long time (that's canada's medical system - it sucks!) - have been thinking about taking her to the U.S. but don't know where - maybe Mayo clinic. Does anyone know where is good for this kind of thing? Does anyone know what the treatment options are for this if it is confirmed? Is this problem considered to be a part of IBS or something totally different? the doctor still has her taking lactulose and metamucil but I think it makes her more bloated and even more uncomfortable without any reward of a BM so i don't see the point. she's also been using suppositories, and they seem to help (although she sometimes needs 2 at a time). Are suppositories safer than oral laxatives for prolonged use? Is milk of magnesia more effective than lactulose - need to try something else. could really use some help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm so confused ! new
      #42151 - 01/30/04 05:08 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Gail, sorry to hear about your daughters problems, hopefully she will find some relief soon! Have you gotten the results from the colonoscopy? I have never heard of an anal-rectum function problem, Did the doctor explain this??

Metamucil does cause bloating, I found, if you take alot of it or too much too quick. Suppositories are better than laxatives. If constipation is her problem, do a search on the boards for "constipation", you will find lots of suggestions, and I found out by trial and error which works best for me, as everyone seems to be different. Perhaps she can get some relief through her diet (eg. drinking more water, eating soluble fibre foods like rice, pasta, before other foods and keeping the fat content low). Check out the Recipe message board. Other than that, if she hasn't been diagnosed, you don't know what is really wrong and what will work for her.

Hopefully she gets the results soon. She will find support here, otherwise, which may help with her depression as there are many others out there with similar "bowel" problems. She is NOT alone!

Hope this helps a little

#42161 - 01/30/04 05:50 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hello fellow Canadian. I'm so sorry that your daughter isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar with analrectal stuff so I can't really give any advice there.
It sounds like a good fiber supplement is something to consider. The best kind we find around here is Acacia and Heather sells it here on her website. Metamucil is FAMOUS for causing more bloating than it's worth.
Here is a link on how to stop the cycle of constipation and IBS related attacks: web page
It's a long run but drug and suppository free way of easing the discomfort of constipation. It may take up to 2 weeks to really take effect, but she should feel better within days (if IBS is her problem).
For bloating, I would recommend she drink TONS of fennel tea. Just cut or crush up a teaspoon of it in a tea strainer and brew in a mug of boiling water. IT tastes like licorice (which I don't like but it REALLY works for gas and bloating). Fennel can be found in your spice section of your grocery store or here on this website.
Anything else you want to know, just ask. Also hit the search button for previously discussed topics.
We're here to help each other. Hang in there!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#42170 - 01/30/04 06:17 PM
gailkarenbrown

thanks for your help, fellow Canadian. My daughter is trying the fennel tea - we have the kit from Heather . She's going off the lactulose and metamucil at least for now. And we're still considering going to the Mayo clinic for anal-rectal manometry - the doctor thinks that the colon may be working okay but everything stops at the rectum - she feels no impulse to go. This may be part of IBS for a lot of sufferers with constipation. Anyways, thanks again.

#42328 - 01/31/04 02:40 PM
gailkarenbrown

thanks for your help. looking into it.

#42331 - 01/31/04 03:17 PM
mksb1309

Reged: 01/07/04

I suffer from IBS with constipation and I can relate to your daughter's situation, I am 25 and have had it for a few years. I suffered from depression related to it and was prescribed Paxil, which helps, however, is a very hard drug to get off of. Citrucel works much better for me than Metamucil because it doesn't give me the bloated feeling. The caplets are great because you can take them wherever you go. I also find that exercise and plenty of water have been great for me as well as following the proper eating habits described by Heather and others. One of the best things that you can do is be supportive, and it sounds like you have been right there for her, that is the best feeling in the world!! Good luck and let her know that she is not alone, but that there are many others out there who understand, women and men of all ages!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review