All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help--Chinese Food
      #41793 - 01/29/04 11:22 AM
zf

Reged: 01/05/04

Hi. I have a work lunch tomorrow (I have to go) and we are holding it at a Chinese restaurant. I am in a state of terror and panic. I know Chinese food makes me so, so sick. Now please don't tell me to bring my own lunch and eat it at the restaurant, I just don't have the guts and I would feel way too awkward as these people are my co-workers (and boss). I called the restaurant and asked about MSG, they said the dishes do not contain it, phew! I found out they have a grilled chicken that is made on the grill, no oil, and I can have it with no sauce and white rice. What do you think about that? I am still terrified and I am stressed out that I have to worry about things like this, and I feel a little down that I can't just be normal like everyone else! People in the office already know I'm ''Sensitive'' (the IBS is not their business) because they see me eat a lot of bland food, but I don't want to be a freak at lunch tomorrow. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help--Chinese Food new
      #41794 - 01/29/04 11:24 AM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

whenever i go to a chinese restaraunt i always get steamed pieces of chicken and shrimp with black bean sauce on the side. its so good and doesnt really bother me, just eat lotsa white rice with it.

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

#41795 - 01/29/04 11:24 AM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My friends all love chinese so they want to go there alot. I'm usually pretty safe with a pint of Chicken Fried Rice. Otherwise I would think that the chicken with the white rice would be good. I know i'm hungry for it now!

#41799 - 01/29/04 11:51 AM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

white rice and chicken broth should be fine. ANd if grilled chicken doesnt usually bother you...go for that. Always keep this in mind: in large groups like that most people wont notice what you are or are not eating. I have worried about the same thing, but it is mostly my friends or family who keep tabs on my diet...others take no notice.

#41889 - 01/29/04 04:17 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

Sounds like you did your homework and should be OK, but if you're still worried, eat before you go! I've started doing it all the time, so I can still go out. I eat before going to the restaurant (I'll even fill up on rice crackers if that's all I can sneak in) first then order something really small, so even if it's not safe it doesn't totally wreck me! Sounds devious, I know, but it makes me worry less which helps prevent an attack in the first place.

#41900 - 01/29/04 04:48 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I think it is the anxiety of knowing that you HAVE to go, that you HAVE to eat with other people, and possibly having to drive back and forth with them. I would always get a panic attack before my office would go out for a luncheon. I felt like I was setting myself up for disaster. I'm much better now. Knowing what is safe to eat really does help. You already checked out the food situation, by calling. No MSG is key with Chinese. Just make it very clear to the waiter, no msg, very little oil, no red meat..... Just eat slow, take your tea with you (I find that helps), you can always sit and drink that. Eat slow, and take the leftovers back with you and if you feel more comfortable eating later, then you will enjoy it more. Somehow we all live through it.........

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#41940 - 01/29/04 06:58 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think you did fabulous research with great results! That's a perfect choice. Take your fiber supplement before you go or before you eat (pills work great in this case), bring some tea (in case they don't have herbal), try to relax and have a good time.

Let us know how you make out!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review