All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Karin and Leanne new
      #4191 - 03/26/03 05:51 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Gastritis can be very painful until treated. I don't think soda is a good idea - too much acid for the stomach. Stick to your bland foods until it heals. Like i wrote earlier it took a good six months for me to heal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#4202 - 03/26/03 08:11 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Thank you for the reply. Stupid question, but is your navel the belly button? Actually I'm still trying to figure out what mine is. I think its either GERD or indigestion, I really don't think its an ulcer because it doesn't bore thru the back. I have a little burning in my throat every now and then and in the middle of my stomach, a little above the belly button, its like a burning pain, but its not too bad. It might be gastritis but I don't know. Like I said, I'm taking Ranitidine.

Edited by Leanne01 (03/26/03 08:15 PM)

#4204 - 03/26/03 11:25 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Is gastritis also 'd'? Anyway, when I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy done, they said I had ibs and a little inflammation of the stomach? dunno where. They also said I had acid reflux and gave me some losec tablets to take but they have run out and didn't help. What is acid reflux and what does it do?

Gastritus new
      #4205 - 03/26/03 11:26 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Please read my above post - and also I can't have panadol as it makes me very naseaus.

Re: Acid Reflux new
      #4218 - 03/27/03 06:55 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hi - Gastritis is not 'd'. It is inflammation of the stomach lining.

Acid reflux is also called GERD which stands for Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. Stomach acid "backs up" and refluxes into the esophagus causing heartburn.

The esophageal sphincter opens to let food into the stomach. When this sphincter does not work properly, it becomes "lazy" and opens up and lets acid flow back up into the esophagus causing pain. If the lining of your stomach is inflammed, this may be causing your esophageal spinchter to become lazy and open up. If you get persistent pain in the chest (heartburn) go to your doctor and tell him/her that losec didn't work and you need to try something else. I am on Pantoloc and it works well for me. Nexium is another option.

Good Luck!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4219 - 03/27/03 07:20 AM
Leanne01

Last night I drank some water with baking soda, my stepfather told me to do this because it helps with acid reflux/burning and this morning it was fine. I have a feeling this is going to be a problem thats going to keep coming back.

#4226 - 03/27/03 08:16 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have never heard of the water and baking soda idea, but I'm glad to hear it helped you!

If you keep having problems, you might also want to try Gaviscon (feels absolutely wonderful on the esophagus when it goes down!) or Maalox (apparently Maalox helps with gas too). If these do nothing for persistent chest pain, see your doctor!

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Gastritis sufferers? new
      #4235 - 03/27/03 09:33 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Karin - plain aspirin is known to be a stomach irritant. The coated aspirins are probably better because they dissolve further down the GI tract and not in the stomach.

I take 1/2 plain aspirin per day for my heart (my Dad had a few heart attacks starting in his 40's) and the doc said because of past family history of heart probs, this would be a good idea. I don't think it bothers me any, but then again, I don't have IBS as bad as some of you do.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#4236 - 03/27/03 09:36 AM
Leanne01

Yeah Maalox liquid is another wonder drug and I might go to Wal Mart today and get some Gaviscon and Zantac, altho I'm taking the generic kind right now. Its my birthday today and we are going to go out to eat so I will definitely be needing the Ranitidine!

#4237 - 03/27/03 09:38 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Leanne01 - Happy Birthday!!! Don't be too foolish with eating out tonight--you know what'll happen...

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2529 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review