All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Gastritis sufferers?
      #4117 - 03/26/03 05:50 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Some of you have said that you had/have gastritis too. What things did you find were good to eat/drink with this? I'm basically on bread, oatmeal, pasta, very well cooked veggies - basically Heather's diet but bland. The Dr isn't prescribing me anything until the biopsies are back and he knows what's causing it. The nurse said to try pepto or something to coat my stomach before eating, that might stop the pain I feel after eating. So far it's not doing a whole lot that I can tell. Thanks for any advice!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gastritis sufferers? new
      #4119 - 03/26/03 06:28 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have gastritis and I am now on medication, but before the benefits of medication, I relied on Gaviscon, Maalox, etc. This helped me very much. Do you have GERD? When you have gastritis (which is inflammation of the lining of the stomach) you also get acid reflux because of it. If you do have GERD (which is most likely causing the pain) Gaviscon and Maalox really helped even though it felt like I was sometimes guzzling the stuff like water! I don't think there are any side-effects of using them. You can take them with or without food and at anytime of the day. My doctor said I can still take them on bad days even with my medication so I always keep a bottle handy under the bathroom counter!

I hope this helps and you're feeling better soon!

God Bless,

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4122 - 03/26/03 06:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is gastritis? Can you have gastritis without GERD and vise versa? Thanks for the info!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4130 - 03/26/03 07:11 AM
Lorna

Gastritis literally means inflammation of the stomach lining. This is my understanding: (please - anyone - correct me if I'm wrong) You can have gastritis with or without GERD and vice versa. However, they often go hand in hand because gastritis can be caused by chronic reflux (as well as infection or other trauma) and GERD can be caused by gastritis (the stomach lining is inflammed - the esophageal sphincter gets "lazy" and opens because of the inflammed lining and acid reflux occurs).

I was having such horrible chest pain and abdominal pain at the same time, my doctor put me on medication for upper GI, then lower GI, nothing seemed to work and on and on and on...I got very frustrated and turned to the internet (which is where I found this website) and I learned a lot on the way! From all the reading I did on the internet about gastrointestinal disorders, this is my understanding of gastritis.

Hope this helps.

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4131 - 03/26/03 07:14 AM
ecmmbm

I'm new to this too but this sounds correct. I don't really have Gerd or any of the heartburn type stuff, probably because the GI told Eric the inflamed area is nearer to the bottom of my stomach. It just gets really painful in there about a half hour to an hour after I eat and makes me sort of nauseaous, both of which contribute to the lack of appetite. Looks like I'll be drinking maalox until these results come back and he can do something more for me!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

#4136 - 03/26/03 07:29 AM
Lorna

You're probably right about not having GERD because the inflammation is at the bottom of the stomach. Mine is probably at the top near the esophageal sphincter which lets acid "escape" more easily.

As for the nausea, I had horrible nausea and couldn't sleep without taking gravol for two weeks. It was terrible. Hopefully the Maalox helps you.

Good Luck with the results!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4148 - 03/26/03 09:48 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Sounds like you have a handle on things - more than you probaly realize.
Keep eating what you're eating and rest, which is hard with three young kids. It may take awhile for your tummy to heal. I found the only fruit I could eat for awhile was bananas.

#4172 - 03/26/03 03:59 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

What are the signs and symptoms of Gastritis? Yesterday I was having bad indigestion and no matter what I took, nothing was helping. I ate stuff over the weekend I shouldn't have, and I also drank a couple sodas and I think thats what it. I didn't have a BM yesterday at all, plus I was taking a bunch of Pepcid, chewable and non-chewable. Finally I decided to call my doctor and she called me in some Ranitidine, which is basically Zantac, and its helped so far. I usually take 2 Citracel tablets a day but today I have taken 4 and have had a couple BM's and I think thats helped too. I'm going out of town this weekend so I will be very dependent on my medicine.

#4185 - 03/26/03 04:39 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Michelle: when you had your endoscopy, did he tell you or your husband to not have you take any asprin or anything like that? My stomach was slightly inflamed, the dr. said not to take anything. When I had my follow-up, he said that a slight inflammation is normal in someone my age (51). I have no idea why it should make a difference but I guess it does.

Re: Karin and Leanne new
      #4190 - 03/26/03 05:47 PM
ecmmbm

Karin - Yes, they told him that I should not take aspirin, thanks. I'm not taking any pain relievers, just Pepcid, it's helping a little.

Leanne - The symptoms for me have been a gnawing pain just above my navel that was unlike my usual IBS symptoms. It is always worse slightly after eating, so I thought it had to do with eating the wrong things. But it's gotten persistenly worse no matter what I've done. It has not given me indigestion or gerd or anything like that, persay, because apparently it is in the lower part of my stomach, but for some people it does if its in the upper part. I've also been very tired, sometimes very nauseous, not wanted to eat much thus lost a good bit of weight in a short time, and have passed some blood but that could have been from the polyps in my colon. Long answer to a short question, sorry!

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review