Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4280 - 03/27/03 12:40 PM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi,

I think I know the answer to the age question.
I read somewhere that the older you get, your stomach lining gets kind of thinner so you're more likely to develop gastritis. What your doc probably meant is that it's kind of natural for your stomach lining to be irritated at your age. but of course a proper gastritis needs treating.

As to the term 'gastritis', my sister who's a doc told me that really often an irritation of the stomach lining (it just gets kind of red and sore) is called gastritis though it is not really a proper inflammation which is the actual gastritis. But many people call it gastritis, like the common cold is called 'the flu' by many people.

As to what to eat, that's difficult. I read somewhere that eating more protein helps because your stomach might produce excessive acid because it empties to0 quickly. You need to keep your stomach busy (a bit like your colon) for it to be healthy. You also should try not to get too hungry (also bad for IBS) and avoid sweets (and peppermint tea!!).

Otherwise it's probably best to use medication which can be very effective and has hardly any side effects, like ranitidine or a proton-pump-blocker. Your stomach lining will heal within days in the absence of excess acid!!

I have developed 'an irritated stomach lining' (gastritis is really a far more effective word for it even if inaccurate) several times in the course of bad IBS attacks because I was trying to eat nothing as I was hoping this would calm down my colon. My stomach didn't like that at all and the acid actually made the IBS worse. In both cases I was then treated with acid blockers and both my stomach and my IBS got better (this didn't help the process of diagnosis though...)

These days I suffer from heartburn a lot, almost every night (it runs in the family, too). In the olden pre-IBS days I used to treat it very successfully by eating raw carrots, an apple or chewing hazelnuts. My dad used to find drinking milk helpful! Sadly, none of this agrees with the IBS diet. I notice that when I eat just carbohydrates for supper (i.e. just rice with carrot) it gets quite unbearable, so I make myself eat some cold turkey breast with it to make it a bit 'heavier'. I also drink quite a lot of water in the evening which helps a bit. When it gets too bad, I resort to my little wonder pills (proton-pump-blocker, Omeprazol) which gives me 48 hours of peace....

Hope this is of any use!

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4284 - 03/27/03 12:52 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Well I'm only 30 so I'm not "supposed" to have the colon polyps or the gastritis yet.

And as to what to eat - I'm so confused now!!!!!!!! Follow up with the GI is April 7, maybe knowing the source of the gastritis will help, as for now I have no idea (again) what to eat, drink, or avoid. Grr....

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

P.S. Helicbacter new
      #4285 - 03/27/03 12:55 PM
susaloh

I have been wondering about helicobacter, too. But I've never been tested. And I don't really want to know either - I don't want to imagine what taking three antibiotics would do to my IBS!!!!
My dad did the treatment and his acid reflux returned after a while...

Susaloh

Susaloh: Excellent Post, thanks! n/t new
      #4287 - 03/27/03 01:01 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

#4290 - 03/27/03 01:05 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the post! Very helpful information. Cleared up a few questions I had

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#4300 - 03/27/03 01:45 PM
susaloh

I would be interested to hear from you what causes your gastritis. As far as I know, stress can cause gastritis (like ulcers), if you 'eat up' your anger and frustration. Otherwise of course coffeine and irregular meals, etc, but you're probably avoiding that anyway because of IBS. Then of course medications on an empty stomach are a main ofender.

I think once you're on a stronger medication, you can basically eat 'normally', all the really bad things we're avoiding anyhow with Heather's diet apart, perhaps, from white meals, etc (altogether, if we weren't sufferering from IBS, a whole grain diet and raw veggies would probably be better for our stomachs)

Well, take care, sorry for you to have this, the symptoms are - almost - worse than IBS! But fortunately it's easy to cure!

Susaloh

Re: Birthday?! new
      #4311 - 03/27/03 02:58 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

Yes, have fun today!

Re: Susaloh Perhaps a few answers.... new
      #4312 - 03/27/03 03:12 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Have you heard of Barley Green Mix for GERD. I have a friend who swears by it. She hasn't taken her medication for over a year and has very few flare ups.

Re: Acid Reflux new
      #4365 - 03/28/03 03:52 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I do have acid reflux a bit - feels like there's a golfball trapped in my throat at times, but it's not too often I feel this way. Thanks for the advice. I thought the doc said it was because my stomach looked like I had 'gravel rash' on it like when you fall off a bike. Goodness knows what she actually meant!

Re: Gastritis sufferers? new
      #4366 - 03/28/03 04:26 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

what's gastritis?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2908 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24066

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review