All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Hello
      #40612 - 01/25/04 10:19 AM
Missdarl

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Florida

There is so much activity here! It's pretty neat to see. I'm recently diagnosed (2 days) after months of pure hell, so the diagnosis came as a welcome relief and I found this site the same day so I'm pretty fortunate. I am so green at this so I just want to say hello, and thank you all for your tidbits. It's good to know there are people to turn to here because IBS is generally not the topic of conversation at work or in my social life.
Good to be here!

Darlene

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi, Darlene! I'm a newbie here, too! (nt) new
      #40615 - 01/25/04 10:32 AM
Pixna

Reged: 01/23/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Re: Hello new
      #40624 - 01/25/04 11:13 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Darlene,
I've been here a week and the people are great! Keep coming back!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#40630 - 01/25/04 11:27 AM
Missdarl

Hi Laura,

You can bet I'll be on this site daily. What a relief! Thank you for the welcome.

Darlene

Re: Hi, Darlene! I'm a newbie here, too! (nt) new
      #40631 - 01/25/04 11:29 AM
Missdarl

Hi Pixna,What does the (nt) mean?

It just means that there is no text inside the message.... new
      #40632 - 01/25/04 11:31 AM
Pixna

Reged: 01/23/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

....so there is no need to click and open it.

Re: Hi Darlene! Welcome to the boards! -nt- new
      #40637 - 01/25/04 11:45 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Re: Hi Darlene! Welcome to the boards! -nt- new
      #40642 - 01/25/04 11:53 AM
Missdarl

Thanks Mags! Good to be here.

Aha! (nt) new
      #40643 - 01/25/04 11:54 AM
Missdarl

#40699 - 01/25/04 02:47 PM
JosephC

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: Kansas City

Yes, Im so happy I came here. Everyone is very helpful. While it not a popular topic in social life to talk about, I make it know(not THAT loud) that I have IBS because only by bringing it the attention it needs will any one do something about it, and its not gonna help if we hid it away. I surely dont say it if I meet someone new(well, maybe here, but thats different)but if it comes up, I say something-like how I cant eat at Mexican restaurants or I have to leave at a certain time, or not able to drink much at parties.
Maybe someday, but for now a helpful hand and kind words of advice are all there is, and I'll gladly take that.

#40740 - 01/25/04 05:42 PM
Missdarl

Yes, as I become more adjusted I may be less uncomfortable to talk about it. I'm still processing it all. I'm so glad I found out I have this because I think I've had it for a long time. I was actually trying to avoid foods that I just felt "did not work for me". I didnt understand why sometimes dairy bothered me and sometimes not. I didnt understand why my diet of raw fruits and vegetables, with a sensible amount of protein that included steak, would sometimes make me bloat and sometimes not. So I started drinking pineapple juice for my "digestion issues". It wasnt until the past month, after Christmas feasting, I decided to go on a diet that eliminated carbohydrates such as potatoes, pasta, bread and rice. (WRONG MOVE!)I'd wake up and start eating fruits and drinking water with lemon in it. I took fruits and raw veggies to work to snack on. The more bloated I'd become, the more intense the pain. So I'd try to relieve it with green tea or lemon water which seemed to make it worse but I could not figure out why.
Anyway, the last few days I've been really watching what I eat, and reading the posts and making the recipes, and its as if I've been literally starving for years. What an overall sense of well being and balance I feel. I'm not lethargic and sluggish as I'd been feeling. (I'd chalk all that up to chronic fatigue syndrome). So I am very grateful for this diagnosis.
By the way, if you dont mind me asking, what general area in florida are you from?

#40747 - 01/25/04 06:53 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

You just hold your head up high an if some one ask you what is wrong you tell them I have IBS.an some times it hurts like hell.an welcome we are all in this together.Gerry.
from one old horse.

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#40749 - 01/25/04 07:09 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

I had a man ask me today what is IBS.I,m not a doctor so I try to explain it the best way I could.I told him I have a machine in me that just doesn,t work right.an I have to be very careful in what I eat.is that to loud.Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

#43822 - 02/09/04 05:15 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

Hi there. I'm the same way, i mean I hate saying the words 'irritable bowel syndrome" though. The way i describe it is sometimes i can eat anything, sometimes it doesn't bother me, but sometimes no matter what i eat it hurts so bad, i just want to curl up and die. Unfortunately, a lot of my relatives and friends are still struggling to understand what i mean exactly and they are trying to help. I just recently moved to canada and money is tight. I just found Heather's site today. I'm sitting here, hungry, still in pain, but am very informed now. I read about the IBS diet guidelines and at least the first half of the site map. I've been drinking lots of water or as much as i can handle. THe pressure is so intense on my abdomen, that anything seems to make it worse. But I know water is good and necessary. Now, I have to just teach myself to enjoy the fake cheeses. I've tried soy milk before and it's not too bad. Half the stuff in my kitchen I can't eat - red meat mostly. I'm supposed to go out to eat tonight with my in-laws and my husband. Should be interesting because i don't know where we'll be going to eat. What types of restaurants are the safest? I am figuring mexican restaurants are a no-no. *SIGH* I have so many changes to make to my diet that are going to be rough mostly on my financial situation. I do admit that changing my diet is better than suffering from IBS attacks on a too-often, and long-term basis. I'm so sick of it! Anyone have any restaurant tips? I've thought of a few myself: I love water with lemon, but i'm probably going to have to ask for water with no ice. I'm just overwhelmed I guess by all this. Anyway, I'm new to this site and never realized what I should have doing all along to prevent or alleviate my symptoms. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#43955 - 02/09/04 04:23 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Welcome! This is a great website for all of your questions, recipes, info and more. It has helped me so much. I love the recipes, makes you feel safe to eat again.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#44250 - 02/11/04 06:14 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

Hi Darlene and Welcome. This place has been a Godsend
for me. The people are wonderful and the information
is something I've never been able to find anywhere else.
I'm so glad you have joined us!

--------------------
A Safe Place

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 838 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2207

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review