All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zelnorm only short term?
      #40174 - 01/23/04 05:05 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Ok I know there's been millions of posts about Zelnorm, but I just wanted to ask..you're only supposed to be on it for a few months right? If so, what's the point if you're just going to go back to where you were beforehand? I'm just wondering since my current anti-c regime isn't really working anymore, and I need to do something else. I've been having more fiber(Benefiber) but I don't know if that's really going to help enough. So should I even bother to ask my doc. about Zelnorm, cause if it's just short term I don't see the point

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm only short term? new
      #40175 - 01/23/04 05:13 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I've been wondering the same thing! I've been thinking of trying Zelnorm too (my doc gave me a prescription, but I haven't decided if I'm going to fill it yet), but you're right, I don't see the point in starting something you can't continue either. Wouldn't it be so disappointing if it did wonders for us and then we had to give it up?? I don't get it either.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#40183 - 01/23/04 06:00 PM
prtyblueeyz

Reged: 12/19/03
Loc: USA Michigan

Well it's only for people with IBS-C and I was on it, and actually my not so bright doctor had me on it for to long. I went right back to the same way I was and for me it was not worth it! That's just my opinion. It did not stop the crmaping or spasms either.

jenn

#40312 - 01/24/04 12:03 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Kristen,
And all,

From what I understand you CAN be on it long term. There was some sort of agreement with making that a recommendation just to get it on the market, maybe it had something to do with the risk of developing ovarian cysts using it long term. Nonetheless, another thing I'm hearing is that, even though you may have great luck with it at first, it poops out and eventially stops working. I personally object to the bombardment of all the recent TV ads for it. It makes every young woman who has ever been bloated for any reason, believe she has IBS and needs this stuff!!

Just my 2 cents worth...

--------------------

#40390 - 01/24/04 11:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kandee, thanks once again for your help! You're such a great source of info. That's so interesting about it being able to be used long term. Obviously my doctor hasn't heard about that... which doesn't surprise me since she had to look it up in a little book. Sigh. Anyway... good to know just in case.

Good point about the media bombardment. I've seen just about enough of those bellies! They don't know what bloating is... lol.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#40858 - 01/26/04 09:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It is FDA approved for short term only but my DR said it could be taken as long as needed. I was SO excited when I first heard about it, I thought, finally something to help. It worked OK for about 2-3 weeks than nothing! I was more constipated than ever! I really didn't notice much improvement in the cramps or bloating at all. I had to go back to the miralax. I still have some Zelnorm on hand and if I get backed up I will take one twice a day for a day or two and that usually gets things moving, but it isn't the miracle drug for IBS C the TV ads promote!

I have heard of one or two people it has helped so you may want to consider trying it, what have you got to lose?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#40952 - 01/26/04 12:11 PM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

I've been on Zelnorm for a year now. I am much better, but I can't say for a fact that it's the Zelnorm, since I have been on Heather's diet for 9 months. It says in the literature on it that it does not help every woman with IBS-C. And, I asked my Dr. specifically about being on it indefinitely and he said it was perfectly safe. Now,maybe that is because I've had a total hysterectomy and don't have ovaries to worry about! I don't know. But, as long as I'm getting along fine I guess I'm not willing to drop it for fear that it'll upset the old IBS applecart! Just my experience with it--thought I'd share. Oh, and it never helped my bloating....never, ever.

#41574 - 01/28/04 02:51 PM
Rozy

Reged: 01/28/04
Loc: Kansas

HI all! Its good to know that I am not alone with this condition!
I just started Zelnorm today, after a horrible 10 day bout of IBS with major constipation, back pain, spasms, and now lingering back pain.
The insert says it has not been tested for longer than a 12 week span, so that's why its not recommended for longer than that.
I figure after using my month's supply I'm going back on my colon cleanse "Experience", indefinitely. It worked great before, so i recommend reading about it and trying it too! It comes with a tape explaining why colon cleansing is important for this condition.
(I havent been taking it, so that's why this condition reoccurred with a vengeance!)

Good luck to All!
Rozy
ps.. it took several days to get the Zelnorm as it had to be pre-authorized by my Dr for my insurance provider.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4019

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review