All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Am I just crazy?
      #39706 - 01/22/04 08:43 AM
j doe

Reged: 01/07/04
Loc: Ohio

Is it just me? It seems more and more to me that marital stress is causing my episodes, even more than particular foods? I can drink milk (skim), and don't seem to have trouble with other dairy, unless it's fatty, like cheese. Only other triggers seem to be raw veggies and fat. Perhaps I don't have IBS, but need some psychological help?
Does anyone else's bowel get "set off" by an argument with your spouse?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am I just crazy? new
      #39712 - 01/22/04 08:50 AM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

No, you are not crazy. Do a search with these keywords, using "all forums" and "all posts" -

Re: UVM Researchers Identify Molecular Changes in IBS Patients
11/21/03 09:44 AM

It talks a lot about the anatomy of fear and how emotions can cause physical reactions in your body. I showed it to my husband, a molecular biologist, and he was fascinated by it. Hope it helps.

#39718 - 01/22/04 09:00 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

No, you're not crazy. It happens to me too. I definitely have had attacks triggered by a fight with my husband. His name is Andy so I refer to it as "A-stress!" Most of the time he's a sweetie, but every once in a while I think his evil twin takes over! I guess that happens in all marriages.

Although IBS is NOT all in our heads, counseling and stress management courses and other similar tools can definitely help. I would encourage you to explore your options there. I'm definitely getting along much better with my sweetie than I was 5 years ago.

And your symptoms sound like IBS to me, but I'm not a doctor so don't hesitate to make an appointment with yours and ask him/her.

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

(((((((BIG HUG))))))))

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#39728 - 01/22/04 09:59 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

You're not crazy at all!

It seems like just about any kind of stress can set my tummy off. I've noticed that my symptoms seem to get worse in the winter, when the bad weather (and driving in it) can set my stress level off the charts.

Hang in there.
Kristine

#39733 - 01/22/04 10:14 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I think there are different degrees of IBS too. I've had it for years, and for most of that time I was able to get away with eating most of the things that I now avoid like the plague! But then my IBS changed for the worse, and I had to start eating much more carefully. To make a long story short, everyone is different. And as for your being set off by emotional episodes, I don't think you need psychological help at all! I think all of us are worse off when we're stressed or upset, it's totally natural and comes with the territory! That's why hypnosis, yoga, and meditation can be so helpful in dealing with our symptoms!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thank you new
      #39771 - 01/22/04 12:25 PM
j doe

Reged: 01/07/04
Loc: Ohio

Thank you for your kind responses. It is nice to know that I'm not alone. I did look in to the seritonin connection and it makes sense. Now I need to look in to meditation and de-stressing.
I really appreciate this board, if only to read what others are going through and what they are trying and what works for them. I'm using the fennel tea, pro-biotics, and generic fiber-con (second ingredient is acacia). When not stressed, I'm doing pretty good. Keep up the good work, ladies and gentlemen!
God bless!
j doe

Re: Thank you new
      #39782 - 01/22/04 01:08 PM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

Same to you; hope you get some relief soon!

#39845 - 01/22/04 04:27 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Any stress seems to set me off....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1339

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review