All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Casein in Soy Cheese!
      #39366 - 01/21/04 06:54 AM
cymoon

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Texas, Houston

I just discovered a brand of soy cheese that contains casein. Ingred: "Casein (A dried skim milk protein)". The brand is "Veggie". My mother bought me two varieties each of sliced and crumbles. They all have it. The slogin reads "Nature's Alternative to Cheese". I guess I should look for something more specific like "Nature's Alternative to Dairy".

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Casein in Soy Cheese! new
      #39367 - 01/21/04 07:05 AM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

OH MAN!! I love that stuff. Does anyone know if there is a safe brand? Some of their other cheeses they can keep but I do like that style.

#39368 - 01/21/04 07:17 AM
cymoon

I just did a search on casein and found a post by Heather that there are trace amounts of it soy cheeses. Suggestion was to try different brands and it is trial and error to see if you can tolerate it. I think I will leave it alone until I am stable then try it and see how it works for me.

--------------------
"I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work." Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

#39369 - 01/21/04 07:19 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Cymoon, try doing a board search on casein. There have been tons of posts on it! Most IBSers cab tolerate it fine, but it's something individual and you'll never know unless you try. Personally, it's never bothered me at all. And I love Veggie soy cheeses! Their shreds are the best.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Vegan Cheese new
      #39378 - 01/21/04 08:14 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

You will have to search for a "VEGAN" cheese. I finally found one a few months ago, but have used it since and can't remember the brand. Just make sure it states vegan and you will be assured it has no dairy in it.

#39624 - 01/21/04 06:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Casein is often in soy cheese. It's there for a reason. Without it, it tastes horrib le. Yes, casein is a trigger, but better to have the soy cheese than dairy cheese. I know they say "veggie" and then throw in milk - SO annoying!Chances are, you should be fine sprinkling a bit of soy cheese on your foods. Most of us do.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#39625 - 01/21/04 06:33 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Nope even then you can't be sure, I used to get a cheese that said "Dairy Free" yet it had casien in it!! Tell me, how is that dairy free? I think it's sooo annoying that they do that. Tofuttie cheese is casien-free if you can find it.

--------------------
IBS-C

#39673 - 01/22/04 06:24 AM
cymoon

I did try some of the sliced cheese last night and it did not seem to bother me. I would have easily noticed because for the first time in months I was pain free yesterday!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 932

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review