All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
2 words... SPRING BREAK (less than 60 days away!!!)
      #38748 - 01/18/04 11:36 PM
bauie25

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Iowa

Yes, yes, it's that time of year again-- a fun vacation with friends to a warm destination... except I'M SCARED! The car ride, eating, my tummy bloated on the beach... hmmm, sounds like a good time, right?? Yeah, I know, it's not a PRESENT thing, but looking into the future makes me feel bad already !?!?

I know there are other college students on these boards, and I know you've probably told me already that you are in college, but it would be great if I could get a show of individuals that are dealing with this at college? I'm 19 and have IBS-C, and getting through the last part of the anger stage in the acceptance process. First I was in denial, then it was sad/angry... I forget what order the stages go in... okay-- rambling... back to the subject.

I was just wondering who else was in college, whether you have IBS-C, D, or A (alternating), and your geographic location...

I was a bit discouraged when I bought Heather's cookbook, NOT THAT IT'S NOT FULL OF ENTICING RECIPES, but it's just not "do-able" for me at school, hence another book to rest upon the shelf in my dorm room. I don't have time to prep those recipes, or the access to ingredients... so, I'm a bit sad. I can't tolerate honey (foods high in fructose) either, which makes most of the recipes impossible, as well as many foods (HONEY IS IN EVERYTHING, I SWEAR!!!!!)

Anyways, I do appreciate all Heather has done-- it's not her fault I can't make the recipes... so please no one take offense! Especially Heather!!!!

Well, I'm out-- good night, sleep tight, dream about all the good things in life... and remember, when in doubt-- DON'T!!

luvins,

bauie25

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2 words... SPRING BREAK (less than 60 days away!!!) new
      #39039 - 01/20/04 12:35 AM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hello ! I haven't been on the board regularly lately because my daughter is doing so much better, but i was checking it out tonight and noticed your post -- My daughter is in college - her 1st year and almost had to come home in oct because of ibs - c problems that became intolerable. My husband found this website and it has been like a miracle. I would love to put you in touch with her - i'll ask her if she has time -- but she gets pretty busy and doesn't have much time for emailing -- she is a music major and you wouldn't believe how much extra time it takes. But, i know alot about her experiences with this and i was the one who researched the website after my husband found it -- and then taught it to her and sent her tons of food and supplements and stuff ! She really didn't have time and was too sick to research it all herself. But she has been so diligent about following the diet at school (and at home) and it has really helped her miraculously. Are you taking the fiber supplements? That was the most amazing thing -- the day she started taking those they instantly cured her C -- it sounds impossible. She is more regular now than she has ever been. She now takes a combination of Fibercon and Heather's acacia. She drinks a ton of water, just naturally , so that helps alot to get the fiber to work. Ask me any college questions you want and i will be glad to try and help you. She also follows Heather's diet diligently, and drops back to the simplest level when she feels off and that always helps her to get back on track.

#39045 - 01/20/04 04:12 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Hello ! I know exactly how you feel. I am also in college, my first year and I have IbS A (Alternating) It is such a hard thing to deal with at school, I feel like no one understands and i am all alone. I live in New York but my college is in Connecticut. I just recently went on a trip to FLorida, and like you, I was terrified. It wasnt that bad though, I just didnt eat much at all. I def could not eat the hotel food; mexican pizza, burger-it made me sick just to sit in the caf! One thing that I do at school that I notices helps is drinking lots and lots of room temp water. And dont give in to people who want you to eat a piece of pizza or whatever- I have stopped caring what others are eating and that I never eat out with them because the suffering is far worse. Maybe someday people will understand. I cant even get my parents to understand, its so frusturating. Well if u ever need anyone to talk to, ill be glad to! Hope u feel better

#39414 - 01/21/04 09:38 AM
rosie_chica

Reged: 08/26/03
Loc: WI

I'm in almost the same boat. I'm 21, IBS-C and in college. I have 2 roommates who are fairly overweight and eat everything in sight! The only potato chips I can handle are the new baked lays, which are expensive. I am also with you on the cooking thing, except that I don't like honey, but could eat it I guess if I wanted to! I just don't have the time, space, knowledge or patience to cook! But don't worry, there are others out there! I'm just glad I graduate in 4 months, but then a new bunch of worries! Hang in there.

#39481 - 01/21/04 12:34 PM
bauie25

I know how you feel when you see other individuals eating ALL the time... It's not the fact that I am hungry when they eat, but I find myself wondering why I can't eat certain foods without worry... Oh well My roommate eats whatever she wants, and I feel it is difficult to have so much "trouble" food sitting around, ya know?!

I have never really been a junk-food addict, but IBS has made me WANT to eat it... lol. It's weird, because I can't have it if I did want to eat it, it makes me just want to eat it to see if this time I'll be fine-- he he.

As for almost being done with college-- that's great! What are you majoring in?

--------------------
"If the sun isn't shining on your path... maybe you're not on the right one" --Me

Moms are the best! new
      #39484 - 01/21/04 12:40 PM
bauie25

That's great that she's getting this under control. I know exactly what she was going through! During my freshmen year (last year), I was going through the same thing, except neither my parents nor I knew what was wrong. It was horrible, especially because I was so far away.

I agree that water and fiber supplements do wonders for the system, but it seems as though the water just runs right through me and I still have "C".

I feel the worst part about having this in college is on top of the stress (which triggers IBS), you hang out with your friends and have to worry about how you are going to feel-- if there will only be "trigger" foods to eat when you go out or hang out together. It's hard for others to understand how you feel when you have this...

If your daughter ever has any questions about anything... I've been there. I even made it safely through spring break last year (granted I lost like 7 lbs!).

Thanks so much for your reply!

--------------------

Here for ya! new
      #39491 - 01/21/04 12:51 PM
bauie25

It's so hard to try to explain why you aren't eating when you are with your friends-- trust me, i've been there... over and over again! Especially the guys-- they're always like, "are you afraid you're going to get fat?" Gimme a break... it's so annoying to have to try to explain when no one really hears what you're saying!

It's probably also hard going to school so far away from home... you don't really have the option of going home for a weekend if you are at "wits end". But, I know what that's like too- hopefully you are sort of a support system at school?

I was in FL over Christmas... let me tell ya, the worst parts: 1) the plane trip: I like planes, but not when my tummy hurts and gurgles the whole time! 2) my dad almost constantly forcing food upon me. He still doens't understand why I don't eat at certain restaurants-- THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING I CAN EAT! Arrrgh! I finally just told him that the worst part about this whole IBS thing is people forcing food on you or not listening to you after you explain things for the thousandth time! lol After that it was all good.

I agree with you on forgetting about what others think and say, if you don't respond, after a while, they stop. THEN, they ask more questions and learn... at least, that's what many of my friends did, then they felt pretty bad (not what I wanted... but they finally understood that I wasn't anerexic or bulimic... and they stopped telling everyone I had a problem... THANK GOD!). It's funny, none of the girls in my sorority completely understood and never said anything about IBS-- most of them had relatives with it... it was my friends from home that didn't take the time to understand (even more frustrating!!).

I've pretty much been through ever scenerio with this! I am also here for you-- I know this will pry sound dumb, but it's kind of fun to have a "pen pal" so to speak. Feel free to email me: sarah__25@hotmail.com

Good luck with FEELING GOOD and your classes this semester!

--Sarah

--------------------

last post correction new
      #39493 - 01/21/04 12:53 PM
bauie25

That's what I get for not reviewing my posts...

I meant to say...

all the girls in my sorority took the time to understand IBS or had relatives with it... but the friends I've had since birth were the ones that made it difficult...

SORRY 'BOUT THAT!

--------------------

#40905 - 01/26/04 10:23 AM
rosie_chica

Reged: 08/26/03
Loc: WI

I'm at UW-Whitewater and the semester just started so i've been pretty busy but I wanted to check up on you. Mine's gotten better in the past couple days, I started taking more fiber, and so far today i'm on my 24th oz of water and have gone pee at least 5 times! Hope school is going well and always remember that we're here for ya!

19 sophmore in college too new
      #40927 - 01/26/04 11:23 AM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

i TOTALLY understand what your going through. i hate it when my roomates go to the dining hall and i have to sit there and watch them eat. last semester i basically lived off rice chex for every meal and it was horrible i lost so much weight and got so sick. without access to a kitchen i know its hard to find foods to eat but before i left for 2nd semester i made tons of pancakes, baked chicken nuggets, turkey meatballs, and poached chicken and froze EVERYTHING. i bought turkey hotdogs and rolls and froze those to. i also bought microwavable noodles, rice, and couscous. now i can eat normal meals in my room without having to starve. it is still annoying when i go the dining hall and have people constantly question why im not eating but i just say i already ate and thats it.
i was also curious about ur sorority. im really interested in joining one but i hear you never get sleep and are constantly busy. how do i explain that i need sleep and cant do the normal things that they expect of you? how did u tell your sorority?

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2038

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review