All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Active Athlete with IBS-C
      #387 - 02/04/03 02:17 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

I am new to the board and I have a question for those of you that suffer the IBS-C. I work out cardio/weight training around 5 times a week, I am fitness buff. I am following Heather's diet and adding the Citraceland Ultra Colon Clenz which are wonderful for this condition, although I still have bad days. I have noticed that protein is a culprit bc it is hard to digest and slows down an already slow process for those of us with this type of IBS. Can anyone recommend something to replace the protein with, I don't do well with meats or protein bars at all.

Thanks RLU

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Active Athlete with IBS-C new
      #389 - 02/04/03 02:21 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Can you tolerate peanutbutter? Just a thought.

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#390 - 02/04/03 02:33 PM
RLU

Yes, I can tolerate that ok, along with nuts.

--------------------

#392 - 02/04/03 02:55 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Okay. TVP (texturized vegetable protein) in 1/2 cup has 23 grams of protein. Health food stores as well as some groceries might stock it. Use it in place of meats.

I also did a Google search on "food protein" and came up with a few sites you should check out. Go to www.ihealthtree.com/greenfoodpro1.html for a green food protein powder. Go to http://cgi.cnn.com/HEALTH/indepth.food/explainers/protein.facts.html for a list of most foods with protein. Go to www.newsilkfood.com for Silpro, Inc. Silk Food Protein.

I don't know what your system can tolerate. You know better than I do, but make the necessary adjustments; i.e. use nuts in dishes but grind them up first and incorporate in sauces. I hear TVP is a really good meat substitute. I think that's what's in Boca Burgers, if I'm not mistaken. If I am someone will probably let me know!

Anyway, good luck!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#423 - 02/05/03 07:23 AM
RLU

Thanks!!! I had never heard of that, and I will definitely check out the web sites!!!

--------------------

Active athlete. I need some urgent advice! new
      #1865 - 03/04/03 12:02 AM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I'm also reasonably active - have been for most of my life. I am doing a charity event in 5 weeks which is a 100km walk in 48 hrs over some pretty mountainous terrain.

I have IBS-C and I've found that after training recently, I have terrible constipation & bloating. It's been happening more recently as our regime has gotten tougher.

I'm getting quite worried that I'm going to get quite sick doing this event, but I've trained so hard for it, I don't want to give up now.

Any suggestions?

Ta

#1868 - 03/04/03 06:50 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I am also very active and have trouble digesting protein without complications. I have been trying Soy Protein Shakes instead of Whey Powder. Not only is soy is a good source of soluble fiber, it is also very important for women's health!

--------------------
Lorna

Re: Active athlete. I need some urgent advice! new
      #3446 - 03/20/03 11:10 AM
RLU

Jo-

I wish I knew what to tell you, I train hard-core everyday with an hour of aerobics and weightraining about 1 & 1/2 - 2 hours a day, and somedays I have the same problem.

--------------------

#3455 - 03/20/03 12:07 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

My workout is similar to yours (5 days/wk,1 to 1 1/2 hrs a day)...cardio and weight training. At first I thought the workouts were regulating my bowels because not only did I not have IBS attacks but I didnt have any bowel problems!

Then in the morning I began having some mild constipation, alternating with mild loose bowels. Not IBS though.

Curiously, as long as I ate a Powerbar Harvest NON-dipped chocolate bar for breakfast prior to workout, I was fine. But once I ate a DIPPED one, I had problems. Weird!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#3462 - 03/20/03 01:34 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

You probably already know this, but drink lots of water (during your exercise, not just after) all day long and mimimize salt use. That may help with the constipation and exercise link.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2280

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review