All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
labels
      #38622 - 01/18/04 02:57 PM
masayo

Reged: 01/17/04
Loc: mexico

IŽve been out shopping for foods that I can eat on the diet and its hard to find what I need from the label. First: I am in Mexico now so the language barrier, second: Mexico is not big on nutritional values so some dont even put whats on there, third: some labels dont say soluble or insoluble, only dietary fiber only. I just buy the products that I think will be safe but it gets frustrating I tell you
They dont have alot of health food stores here. There a few but dont carry alot of what Im looking for. Like the suppliments, I cant find any of the name brands listed and they all have psyllium in them, which make me bloated. So on with the search....wish me luck
Masayo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: labels new
      #38627 - 01/18/04 03:01 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Oh, that's awful! Sorry you're having such a hard time.

I hope you figure something out. Do any of the products have websites you could look up the nutritional value or a number to call to ask? Anything? Kind of a pain, but maybe worth it in the end?

Good luck!

#38629 - 01/18/04 03:04 PM
masayo

Thanks, and I will see what I can come up with. Mexico is a different place all around. But weŽll manage.
Masayo

#38741 - 01/18/04 10:37 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Hi! I am originally from Mexico. I do not know where you are, but you need to shop at the fresh food markets. If you attempt to learn a few words and ask for help, these people can be very helpful. Get your corn tortillas fresh as you need them at a tortillaria (tortilla shop). A lot of the packaged foods there are high in fat. The best place to get chicken breast is at a meat shop or a meat market. The street markets are also the best place to get really good fruits and vegatables. DO NOT eat lettuce or strawberries that come from Mexico. Everyone there uses cabbage instead.
The colas and coffees have much more caffiene in them than in the US, so some people get really bad headaches daily from drinking these beverages.
If I knew the area where you live, I could give you a better idea of how and where to shop.
I hope that I have been some help in this regard!
Good luck and enjoy Mexico while you are there!
Leslie

#38779 - 01/19/04 07:57 AM
masayo

Thanks for the reply. I live in Tampico, Tamaulipas. Gulf of mexico. My husband speaks spanish well and he does most of the shopping and talking when I attend with him. There is a Walmart Supercenter there and carry some US products and the HEB is another one that carries more of the US and specialty items. There is a small Vegetarian/health store but doesnt carry everything I need. So there is the start. We travel alot also so that makes it hard. We usually bring a camping stove and rice cooker with us so we dont have to eat the food at the hotels. We go to Costa Elsmeralda, Veracruz, and Martinez de la Torre for his business and we eat two places only. I usually have the caldo de camaron. My husband asks them to always use olive oil when cooking instead of whatever they may use. We go to these because we know and trust the food.
Talk to you soon.
Masayo

Re: Great Seafood area! new
      #39040 - 01/20/04 12:53 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

You are in a great seafood area! Stick with the resaurants that you like and order any of the seafood as long as it is not fried. When you get to know people there you can have them recommend places to eat. Try the fish tacos, you may be pleasantly suprised. Be sure to squeeze on the lime for extra flavor. These tacos are usually served on soft corn tortillas. The shrimp in your area is almost always excellent. Trying to find US food is going to cause you stress. It is sometimes out dated and always over priced. Eat the native quisine, in your area, that will be the safest. Try the "Aquas"(fruit drinks) and the "Paletas"(popcicles) they are made with fresh fruit.
"Pina" is pineapple, "Fresa" is strawberry, "Sandia" is watermelon, "melon" is cantaloupe. Your husband can tell you what the others are when you find a vendor. "Horchata" is a good rice drink with plenty of soluble fiber. When I am there, I always have Papaya with breakfast and some more in the evening. Papaya is a good food for digestive problems and is readily available almost anywhere in Mexico. If you are a IBS-C, you can try the "pina-colada" aquas since coconut is a pretty good diaretic(I can not spell). None of these drinks that I have suggested have anything in them but the fruit and water. In the off seasons some will have sugar.
I wish my husband could get transfered to Mexico for a while, I love it there. Get to know the locals and let them know your dietary needs. You will be suprised at how helpful they can be, Especially the older ladies.
Sorry to have rambled, if you have more specific questions, just let me know.

#39130 - 01/20/04 10:17 AM
masayo

Thanks for the info. We do eat alot of papaya and we love seafood. We have a favorite "pescaderia" that we always stop by and pick up the fresh fish from that day and bring it home. We have a food saver so it helps when we buy bulk. Most of our rest. are down in veracruz that we eat at. At home, Tampico, we cook instead of going out. IŽll tell my husband about the drinks and he can bring some home if he is out. Thanks again for the info. and encourangment.
Michelle..

#39134 - 01/20/04 10:26 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

The aguas are terrific source of vitamins. Try Rice water, watermelon, tamarind, and you probably know about the oatmeal drink you can have it's a deliciuos snack. See my post on chocolate cinnamon flan totally IBS safe. Hey how about atole? It's mostly made of constrach and flavor and you could make it with rice or soy milk. You got to get Heather's book there are so many recipes, for your cultural area. I'm married to a hispanic and before everything was beans, tortillas , red meat, so on. Now we still eat mexican food but IBS safe. The recipe exchange has some great recipes and you can print them off. Good luck with finding things that can work for you. Take care,Sherri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4643 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review