All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rice flour
      #37761 - 01/15/04 03:37 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

I bought some white rice flour and wondered if anyone has any experience with it in terms of how the baked product turns out and if it is an equal exchange to white wheat flour?
Thanks,
Joan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: rice flour new
      #37762 - 01/15/04 03:41 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Can't do it. It has to be mixed with other flours, usually 2 others. You can use it soley though for thickening and such, just not baking. Here's the ratio:
2 cups white rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca flour
2/3 cup potato starch flour
(not plain potato flour)

#37773 - 01/15/04 04:21 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You are right. This is the combo I use for baking, plus adding 1 teaspoon Xantham Gum to 2 cups of the mix whenever baking. I like to add guar gum as well...both are stabilizers.

There are wheat free, gluten free mixes out there for baking that often use bean flour but I haven't tried them yet. I'm told they are wonderful.

My favorite GF/WF brownie mix in the whole world is the one by Gluten Free pantry...."chocolate truffle brownie mix" (or something like that)....I use egg whites and b/f prunes instead of the whole eggs and oils. Yummm....

Betty Hagman has a bunch of good recipe books as well. I only own one right now.

Kandee

--------------------

#37779 - 01/15/04 04:57 PM
Karin

Watch out for the Guar gum, it has a laxative effect on many (me included). I can't tolerate it in anything, I use Xanthan Gum soley. If you try using the bean flour, only purchases a small amount. I hated the taste of it, even with all the sugar and such you can still taste it. I have one of Hagman's books, and Carol Fenster's, also my friend is writing a great one now that I mostly use.

#37786 - 01/15/04 05:43 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

check the recipe board I posted a recipe for rice pancakes today and it uses white rice flour.

#37789 - 01/15/04 06:02 PM
joanmarie

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Sounds like this is a complicated flour so I probably won't use it much, but I am going to try those pancakes!

#37790 - 01/15/04 06:05 PM
Kandee

Ha, Karin, about guar gum, I need all the laxative foods I (personally) can get!!!!!

But you are sooooo soooo right, thanks for bringing that out since at least half of us here are "D". Guar Gum is in Benefiber, in fact it IS Benefiber. Heather talked about it, and the cooking version of guar gum but I can't find the link now.

Well, I certainly wondered about bean flour, and it certainly didn't SOUND appealing...so from your advise I think I'll pass on it.

Oh my, keep me posted as to when your friend does her book. One of my newest best friends is the hubby of a Celiac and a fantastic cook. She's VERY active in the Celiac society...national and regional. She is bringing me some of her famous zuccinni bread this weekend. I can't wait!!!Everyone, that includes non-Celiacs rave about it. She's another one, that has been ASKED to do a cookbook. Heck, I just want her to bake FOR ME. I still can't get the hang of making a good, (or even passable) homemade sandwich bread that doesn't turn out like a brick!!!

BTW, she just told me that Celiacs should NOT use guar gum or stevia but can't remember why now.

Ever use any sorgum flour?

Kandee

--------------------

Re: rice flour (Muffins ok???) new
      #37791 - 01/15/04 06:08 PM
Kandee

Wait a minute....I just remembered a rice flour only recipe here in the archives for rice flour muffins. They are suppose to be fantastic. Do a search and then try them out....If I can find the link I'll come back atcha with it.

Kandee

--------------------

Here it is. new
      #37793 - 01/15/04 06:10 PM
Kandee

Rice flour muffin recipe

--------------------

Re: Here it is. new
      #37799 - 01/15/04 06:20 PM
joanmarie

Kandee,
Thanks so much for finding the recipe. How thoughtful! Barbara thanks for posting the recipe. I will try it this weekend.

#37805 - 01/15/04 06:30 PM
joanmarie

The zucchini bread sounds good. Does she give out the recipe?

#37808 - 01/15/04 06:36 PM
Karin

I used Sorghum last night in my friend's bread recipe. I don't mind that at all. The problem is that most gluten free baked goods are high in fat as the wheat imparts so much flavor they have to compensate with fat. I'm trying to help my friend make hers more IBS friendly and she's going to offer two variations on most of the recipes, low fat and fat full. I sure wish she'd hurry up! I even made a trip up to Boise to cook during my vacation last year, we came up with some good recipes then.

#37809 - 01/15/04 06:41 PM
Karin

I just made some blueberry muffins from Carol Fenster's book, Special Diet Celebrations. They were quite good, most of the items that I've made from her book are high quality (better than Hagman's I believe). Even my husband likes her stuff!

#37811 - 01/15/04 07:06 PM
joanmarie

I would be interested in seeing some of your favorite recipes if you have a chance to put them on the board.

#37838 - 01/15/04 09:54 PM
Kandee

I'm going to get it, so hold your hat. I'll post it or email it to you. If it's not made with some fancy mix (that we can't easily get) we're in business.

Kandee

--------------------

#37840 - 01/15/04 10:06 PM
Kandee

Oh Karin, Thanks for that book recommendation. I'll go in and put it on my Amazon.com wish list, HOWEVER, when today in Costco (love their book prices) I said I need to tone it down with buying books this year (a New Year's resolution if you will?) since I just had a book shelf colapse from all the massive amounts of books piled high..........the shelf is not going back up so now I have to find a new spot. I'm NOT book challanged, I'm a d* in home library!!!

Soooo, if you have an absolute favorite recipe, PLEASE pass on to those of us who can't do wheat. (I've been allergic for 23 years and have cheated, I admit. But I do it for 3 days in a row and OH how I regret it!! Now that I can no longer take the allergy medicine I have to be super careful!)

About the blueberry muffins you made....think they would be almost as good without the blueberries?

Thanks again,

Kandee

--------------------

#37875 - 01/16/04 07:14 AM
joanmarie

Thanks Kandee. I'll look forward to trying it.

#37895 - 01/16/04 08:07 AM
annkent

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Mississippi

to eyebser2.. why are you cooking gluten free and wheat free... are you a Celiac.. or just for IBS reasons?

#37917 - 01/16/04 09:00 AM
Karin

Kandee: I hear you about the book situation. I tell myself that I will NOT purchase any more cookbooks, but then I find something that catches my stomach and I buy it. I didn't have any blueberries last night so I made them with Craisins. So they were good with a substitute, I did use whites only instead of whole eggs (she usually includes the sub info).

#37922 - 01/16/04 09:12 AM
Kandee

Neither.....I cook wheat free because I've been (strongly) allergic to wheat now for nearly 23 years. It has nothing to do with my IBS, because believe me, IF I could, I'd be chowing down on all the wheat products that are IBS safe in this diet.

As for others here going GF/WF I can't speak for them. You'd have to ask them.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4760 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review