All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating for IBS and cancer
      #373650 - 01/21/18 01:28 PM
lamplight2

Reged: 10/02/17

I have IBS, mostly with constipation but also sometimes diarrhea (seldom). I am also a breast cancer survivor (3 times!!) and see my oncologist several times a year. Because of the latter issue, it is important that I focus on getting enough foods that are high in anti-oxidants. This is very challenging because almost everything that is high in anti-oxidants is bad for IBS. This includes the cruciferous vegetables (i.e., broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts,etc), and dark colored foods like Spinach, blueberries, kale, collard greens, etc are also very good. Unfortunately, they all lead to a lot of gas and work against my IBS. Besides making sure I have soluble fiber first, are there ways I can prepare the foods that will make it easier to eat these them?

Also, recently I tried Chlorella, dark green supplement tablets from Japan that are extremely high in anti-oxidants. But they, too, are causing problems. How do I resolve this issue? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by lamplight2 (01/21/18 04:14 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating for IBS and cancer new
      #373672 - 02/26/18 06:26 AM
oatcake

Reged: 09/02/15
Loc: London

I would take a more gentle approach than cruciferous veggies and chlorophyl supplements.

Focus on the more fresh and nutritious side of the diet you can eat.

I would aim for most of my calorific intake to be from beets, apples, carrots, bananas, potatoes, oats, rye bread etc rather than white bread, rice, pasta, angel food cake etc which have less nutrition and less antioxidants.

you can still get as many antioxidants as possible but without the side effects.

its not ideal but thats IBS I guess.

IV vitamin drips have become quite popular with celebrities and clinics are starting to offer them in the UK.

they have special antioxidant blends so you could research that.

they aren't cheap but not super expensive either if you have one every few months for a boost.

but I don't know much about cancer so make sure its safe first!

--------------------
oatcakes don't actually agree with me?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review