All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Portion size and number of meals
      #372601 - 12/12/15 05:08 AM
susaninflorida

Reged: 11/06/15

I can't find this information so would love some help with this. What has worked for you?

BACKGROUND
I have IBS-C. And by that I mean that I cannot go nearly at all. For well over two years, weeks can go by with no movement and then just a small amount comes out. Finally, about a year ago, I started doing weekly enemas, which really has worked for me. Now, it's twice a week.

Just started with new gastro who confirmed the diagnosis. He put me back on stool softeners, which do nothing, but I am trying to be compliant. And he wanted me on fiber.

I did STRICT FodMaps for eight months with an Australian dietitian, who was great. But it made no difference. I tested positive for methane on the SIBO breath tests, but was unable to get the antibiotics (I am allergic to the methane preferred one anyway). It definitely didn't make any difference in my IBS-C.

So now, I am trying Heather's route. I also have many many food sensitivities, so my food is very limited, way more than even this food plan allows.

I am also a compulsive overeater in recovery, which means I weigh my food at every meal and have done so for over 17 years. So I need to think in terms of food plan.

I keep trying to use the Acacia fiber and have just started again. I am doing 1/2 tsp 2 x/day. In the past, whenever I raised it, the bloating and gas were terrible, but I am determined to make this work this time!

QUESTIONS

1. I am confused about the amounts of insoluble fiber to add. Yesterday, I had 8 oz blueberries. But I think that was too much. I had stopped all fruit for two weeks, which really helped my pain level. But the advice from Heather is to add a little insoluble fiber frequently. I don't know what that means. Would it be 2 oz? 1 oz?

2. Here is my thought for what seems reasonable:

Breakfast
6 oz grain (e.g., rice, buckwheat)
4 oz animal protein
2 oz fruit

Lunch
4 oz animal protein
4 oz veg (pretty much cooked zucchini, baby bok choy, and yellow squash)

Dinner
4 oz animal protein

I have been adding in a snack of 2 oz cream of rice or something else sometimes. But this amount of food seems to tide me over until my next meal, giving my body a chance to digest it.

My weight is normal.

3. But is it better to eat two more snacks or is that too much food?

4. Is it better to keep it to 2 oz veg at lunch and then at dinner?

5. Is that enough insoluble fiber for a day?

I'm just confused about this. In fact, I was using 8 oz grain, but that seemed just too much and 6 oz actually corresponded to a 1 cup serving.

So I just want some guidance from those who have done this for awhile.

Thanks for reading my long post. And for your help.

Edited by susaninflorida (12/12/15 05:09 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Portion size and number of meals new
      #372606 - 12/14/15 10:18 AM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I too have been more on the IBS-C side since I added caltrate (helped urgency) to my diet a couple years ago. I decided to try Heather's fiber to see if that would eliminate the C portion. I started end of Oct and increased slowly. I am now up to 1 tablespoon twice a day. I too had increase in gas, but it has slowly subsided over time. I also am watching my meal sizes. For breakfast I eat a smoothie with half banana, couple frozen strawberries, and 1/2 cup rice milk with the fiber. Around 8ish I start snacking on gluten free cereal. For lunch, I've been eating a hard boiled egg and a piece of meat. For snack, I've been eating gluten free nut-thins. For dinner, I've been eating a protein and a cooked vegetable. After dinner, I add the fiber and take some new supplements I recently added. So far, it's been going better, but still not perfect. The fiber seems to have helped me go.

I did stop the caltrate last week, thinking maybe it was not helping me go. I started VSL3 probiotic last Monday to the mix and that seems to be helping. I started with one a night at bedtime and started two at night this weekend and noticed yesterday and today my frequency in the morning is better. I also added LGlutamine 1000mg twice a day and I think that has helped too. I heard about 4000mg is better, but want to get thru the bottle I bought before buying more, and can't take 8 pills at one time. I heard colostrum helps too, so may give it a try if things don't get stable. My biggest complaint is the urgency, so I am working to get this under control. I read enemas can help with urgency, but I'd rather get it under control thru my diet first. Hope some of my comments help. Good luck.

#372613 - 12/20/15 12:47 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

KatheC,

I am also being helped by the VSL#3. How long have you been taking it?

I am sorry about your urgency issues. Every now and then I have that problem too!

Have you thought about using the IBS Hypnosis CDs?

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#372616 - 12/22/15 01:53 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

I started taking VSL3 on the 4th of Dec, just a few weeks ago. I am taking 2 a night. I did the hypnosis tapes without success. Probably should try them again. I read urgency can also be caused by inflammation down low, and with IBS-A I probably have inflammation, so going to try some PrepH and see if that helps heal my lower end and reduce inflation. I find lately I am getting regular BMs daily, but after about 2 weeks I still seem to have a bad morning with multiple BMs. Kind of like it builds up on me and then all comes out. I am up to 1 1/2 Tablespoons twice a day of the acacia fiber and feel that does help with the IBS-C. Sadly, no urgency fix, but we'll see how the Prep H works. I am buying some tonight.

#372627 - 12/24/15 09:03 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

PRAYING you find relief from your urgency SOON!

What do your doctors say about this issue?

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3741

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review