All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about Wheat- very confused
      #372282 - 07/31/15 11:51 AM
aaliya

Reged: 07/03/15

I have IBS-C, but was tested negative for Celiac.

According to the low fodmap diet, Fructans (protein found in wheat) could be the problem, rather than the gluten.

Heather says that white bread is safe, BUT doesn't white bread still contain fructans??

So I am just super confused. Should I eliminate fructans completely and eat gluten free bread? Or should I ignore the fructan issue and stick to white bread?

I am just very confused after reading all the posts on this forum because people who do not have celiac still eat gluten free even though Heather says white wheat is fine.

Thank you!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Wheat- very confused new
      #372285 - 07/31/15 01:17 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Quote:

I have IBS-C, but was tested negative for Celiac.

According to the low fodmap diet, Fructans (protein found in wheat) could be the problem, rather than the gluten.
>The protein in wheat is GLUTEN, fructans is the natural sugar in wheat.

Heather says that white bread is safe, BUT doesn't white bread still contain fructans??
>YES, but people who stay on this diet have found out that its the insoluble fiber in the whole wheat that bothers them. What were you eating with the white wheat? Try the "For Those Who Hate To Cook" menu, AFTER your colon has calmed down with the white rice. You weren't still drinking the coffee substitute that has chicory/inulin in it were you?;Highly fermentable.

So I am just super confused. Should I eliminate fructans completely and eat gluten free bread? Or should I ignore the fructan issue and stick to white bread?
>I would, and following "For Those Who Hate To Cook," 3-day menu after colon is for sure calmed down with just using the white rice grain if flaring.

I am just very confused after reading all the posts on this forum because people who do not have celiac still eat gluten free even though Heather says white wheat is fine.
>For me, it all depends if I'm flaring, where I'll go to the white rice only for a few days until calms down.

>"ALWAYS" drink enough water that it requires to help move/weight through your food, especially if IBS-C.

Thank you!!

>VERY WELCOME

This EFI diet deals with sticking with soluble white wheat part of the fiber, incorporating SOME whole wheat grain in carefully according to the book, the FODMAP diet deals mainly with some problematic natural sugars in some foods being re-introduced using a dietician/nutritionist. ALWAYS

Edited by sgcray (07/31/15 01:34 PM)

Re: Question about Wheat- very confused new
      #372286 - 07/31/15 01:32 PM
sgcray

What ibs supplements are you using possibly?

Wheat bread of any kind ... new
      #372304 - 08/02/15 08:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

including any white bread contains fructans - a potential IBS trigger. However, one slice of white wheat bread is low FODMAP while two slices are high FODMAP. FODMAP content is dependent on serving size

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Wheat bread of any kind ...- Syl new
      #372307 - 08/02/15 10:20 AM
aaliya

Reged: 07/03/15

Hi Syl, understand! I think it might be safer to eat GF bread to avoid wheat completely..I found this GF bread, but it contains egg (which Heather lists as a trigger, but according to the low fodmap diet, eggs are okay) Does this look safe to you?

Canyon Bakehouse GF Bread
The macronutrients are: 70calories: 1.5F/15C(2F)/1P

Ingredients: Water, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Agave Syrup, Tapioca Flour, Whole Grain Sorghum Flour, Xanthan Gum, Cultured Brown Rice Flour, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Eggs, Whole Grain Amaranth, Sea Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes

#372309 - 08/02/15 01:22 PM
sgcray

Quote:

Hi Syl, understand! I think it might be safer to eat GF bread to avoid wheat completely..I found this GF bread, but it contains egg (which Heather lists as a trigger, but according to the low fodmap diet, eggs are okay) Does this look safe to you?

Canyon Bakehouse GF Bread
The macronutrients are: 70calories: 1.5F/15C(2F)/1P

Ingredients: Water, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Agave Syrup, Tapioca Flour, Whole Grain Sorghum Flour, Xanthan Gum, Cultured Brown Rice Flour, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Eggs, Whole Grain Amaranth, Sea Salt, Yeast, Natural Enzymes

Irregardless;There is hardly any soluble fiber in this. Why don't you try the artisan sourdough white wheat? Was the white wheat you tried before just the flour, (maybe even barley malt which is ok), salt and yeast maybe for sure? If the sourdough white wheat gives too much gas, go to the artisan white spelt and if that's not ok, go to an artisan sourdough white spelt. But, the last two are not available at the stores with the basic ingredients and probably mainly from Australia..How's that for a plan;And don't worry too much about the calories, just slice thinner. Remember, there's less, but enough for health good fats mainly with this diet. In the meantime you're building a soluble fiber supplement hopefully that might take longer when ibs-c, so in the meantime, you are wanting to make sure there's just enough from your foods to make your colon happy.

#372316 - 08/03/15 02:18 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Organic Agave Syrup has as much excess fructose as high fructose corn syrup -a high FODMAP. And the whole grains means it has a lot of insoluble fiber which I cannot handle at all

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5048

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review