All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is there any hope?
      #372182 - 06/18/15 06:53 AM
RhiannonsMom

Reged: 10/15/13

My 22 year old daughter (diagnosed with IBS at 15) is in the middle of a horrible IBS flare up: 3 ER room visits and a hospital stay to get her pain under control (a stomach virus triggered the hospital stay but led to a 2 week IBS flare that we can't seem to stop). Nothng we do at home seems to help.

Her pain is a 9-10 on a 10 point scale and our trips to the ER end up with morphine finally knocking down the pain so we can take her home. And then here we go again. If feels like it will never end and her depression and anxiety around this is incredible.

My daughter is talking about hurting herself (and frankly, I'm ready to jump off the bridge with her. There's nothing like watching your child suffer and be unable to help). She says its like God is punishing her for something, but she doesn't know what. When she's in the bathroom for hours in pain, all she can do is cry and say "I'm sorry" as if she says it enough, maybe some Higher Power will hear and take pity on her.

Is there somene else out there who has seen this kind of pain from IBS and managed to turn it around? Right now it seems like our best hope is a handful of prescription meds and hope for reincarnation into a life with a better deal.

Any words of hope out there?
Rhiannon's Mom

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is there any hope? new
      #372183 - 06/18/15 08:23 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

Yes, there is always hope. Never forget that.

I don't suffer the kind of pain your daughter does, but I do know about anxiety and depression.

First, has she tried the hypnosis CDs for IBS? They're worth every cent. I've used them several times, when I have flare-ups (IBS-D), and they always turn things around for me.

Since you said this is a flare-up, that leads me to believe that she has periods where she's not suffering. If that's the case, then "this too shall pass." Remember that.

Pain of any kind is made worse with muscle tension. So, if she can come to accept that this is what is happening in the moment, and that things will turn around, that might help. Any kind of muscle relaxation exercise, or visualization, or meditation (even five minutes will help change the brain from firing off those neurons that cause anxious feelings) and heating pads also help.

Reach for a better-feeling thought. This helps turn my mood around. If she's telling herself "This will never end," that's a clear sign of what she doesn't want (to be in pain). So, to take a step up the emotional ladder, she needs to think something that directs her toward what she does want. Such as, "My body knows what to do to feel better," or, "I've felt better before, and I know I will again," or, "I look forward to feeling better." Actually, if you say those things to her, it might help you both relax around the issue.

Some books I recommend for anxiety:

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson (how to change the brain patterns we get stuck in)
Ask and It Is Given by Esther Hicks
Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weeks

Hope this helps!

Re: is there any hope?/Are "YOU" ok Mom? new
      #372187 - 06/18/15 02:22 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Quote:

My 22 year old daughter (diagnosed with IBS at 15) is in the middle of a horrible IBS flare up: 3 ER room visits and a hospital stay to get her pain under control (a stomach virus triggered the hospital stay but led to a 2 week IBS flare that we can't seem to stop). Nothng we do at home seems to help.

Her pain is a 9-10 on a 10 point scale and our trips to the ER end up with morphine finally knocking down the pain so we can take her home. And then here we go again. If feels like it will never end and her depression and anxiety around this is incredible.

My daughter is talking about hurting herself (and frankly, I'm ready to jump off the bridge with her. There's nothing like watching your child suffer and be unable to help). She says its like God is punishing her for something, but she doesn't know what. When she's in the bathroom for hours in pain, all she can do is cry and say "I'm sorry" as if she says it enough, maybe some Higher Power will hear and take pity on her.

Is there somene else out there who has seen this kind of pain from IBS and managed to turn it around? Right now it seems like our best hope is a handful of prescription meds and hope for reincarnation into a life with a better deal.

Any words of hope out there?
Rhiannon's Mom

"Right now it seems like (OUR? best hope is a "handful" of prescription meds)
and hope for reincarnation into a life with a better deal."

Re: is there any hope?/Edited reply new
      #372188 - 06/18/15 02:38 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Yes, it is horrible, but I am still here and MUCH better. I went from occasional ibs to leading into Crohns, then back tracking to ibs that was more constant, but with bad upper GI pain all while raising my two elementary children and found the ibs diet. My soluble fiber is spread throughout the day though before ANYTHING I eat and with the fennel tea and peppermint caps 3x/day. What type doctors have you been to and what tests were done? Rome Criteria? which includes checking gall bladder, don't know if it includes gluten test. IOW, is it truly IBS? Did you read The First Year: IBS by Heather? If it is, my GI prescribed a low dose tricyclic anti-depressant Elavil/amitriptyline which can slow down the anxiety/worrying which can cause attacks;But I just now years later decided to take it (worried about taking an anti-depressant too much);Prescribed through a general practitioner, so didn't have to see a G.I. There are other anti-depressants that don't have a mild constipating side effect, unless that's desired. Before that I was taking Bentyl/Dicyclomine anti-spasmotic for a few years that could give control even if IBS-A I've heard. Is it more diarrhea or constipation side? It can sometimes just be a motility problem mainly, which is yes VERY painful, but stress makes it worse.

Edited by sgcray (06/18/15 03:55 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2919

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review