All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather & FODMAPsI've been doing Heather's diet for 12 years, and stable till this past year. So I am checking out FODMAPs.
      #372028 - 04/22/15 05:52 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Is there a place I can access on this website where Heather gives her views on FODMAPs, and how FODMAPS connects with her diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

FODMAP new
      #372031 - 04/23/15 04:07 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Heather has not update her Eating for IBS or her web site to include information on FODMAPs. Kate Scarlata - a dietitian with IBS - has written an excellent overview article on the FODMAP diet.And check the links in my signature. And check out the links in my signature

FODMAP: Road map for IBS

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: FODMAP new
      #372033 - 04/23/15 05:54 AM
LindaLouise

Thanks, Syl, for your links. They are really good ones! I appreciate your help.

I have been gradually educating myself on FODMAPs and doing some beginning experimenting.

My post came out of trying to put the two diets together and bumping up against where that is difficult. For example, Monash University's App tells me fennel tea has FODMAPs. Fennel tea has been something I had relied on. I don't find it as simple as just testing out what now gives me problems and what doesn't, because since my IBS (pretty stable for the 12 years or so I have successfully followed Heather's diet) has become unstable in the past year, it is difficult to tell what is triggering and what isn't.

So I am looking forward to an integration of Heather's approach and the FODMAPs approach.

Till then, I am wondering if you or others would feel comfortable sharing your experiences in trying to integrate the two?

#372036 - 04/24/15 07:36 AM
Syl

I integrated Heather's approach with the FODMAP approach. It was easy. I just removed all high FODMAP foods on Heather's EFI diet during the elimination phase.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#372040 - 04/24/15 06:30 PM
LindaLouise

I am interested to know what the integration looks like for you now? That is, what high-FODMAP foods did you find you could eat after all, and what foods in Heather's EFI diet did you find you couldn't? (Although I recognize that it is different for everyone, still it would help to have yours, and others,' experiences.)

It seems that the FODMAP diet doesn't take into account that high fat and high insoluble fibre are difficult for IBSers. This is confusing for me, since the Monash study seems to say that 75% of their subjects got relief without either of those dietary restraints. I don't know what to make of that. Can you help me out here?

#372041 - 04/25/15 01:28 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

I find this a bit confusing myself - doesnt Heather's diet allow refined carbs ie white bread etc - if Im reading FODMAP correctly - you cant eat any grains - is this correct?

#372042 - 04/25/15 05:07 AM
Syl

Hi LindaLouise

The FODMAP diet does take into consideration common IBS triggers like high fat and insoluble fiber. In the second document linked to in my signature it says

"If adherence was strict, attention may be needed to modify intake of resistant starch and insoluble and soluble fiber. Other dietary triggers such as food chemicals may need to be considered, as should potential factors such as caffeine, fat, meal size and regularity."

And if you buy any of the Monash group's books you will find they discuss common IBS triggers as well as high FODMAP foods.

The FODMAP approach is a process of elimination followed by a re-introduction phase -- it is not just a list. During the 6-8 week elimination phase you remove 100% of all high FODMAP foods including fennel tea. And then you slowly re-introduce foods from each of the 5 FODMAP groups - one group at a time - this allows you to figure which high FODMAP foods you can and cannot handlle

This web site has some good information on the elimination & re-introduction phases along with recipes and a blog

A Little Bit Yummy

--------------------

#372043 - 04/25/15 05:15 AM
Syl

The FODMAP diet is an elimination/re-introduction diet. During the 6-8 elimination phase foods containing wheat, rye and barley which contain a high FODMAP carbohydrate called a fructan are removed. However, grains like rice, oats, quinoa which are low are okay. If you have problem with common triggers like the bran in things like brown rice then they maybe reduced or eliminated. After the elimination phase is complete one then re-introduces foods from each of the five FODMAP food groups one group at a time slowly so you can figure which FODMAP groups you can and cannot tolerate.

Here is a link to a web site containing a good overview of the FODMAP diet, the elimination and re-introduction phases and many low FODMAP recipes

A Little Bit Yummy

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2080 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5869

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review