All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS and Depression
      #371804 - 01/10/15 07:55 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Is it common for sufferers of IBS to have depression? I know it's stated and understood that IBS does result in a lower quality of life but for me it's a bit of what came first, the chicken or the egg? Is my depression from my IBS or the other way around? I ask this because I just heard a very interesting segment on the Radio. In a nutshell, the medical researcher is studying if depression might actually be an infectious disease (caused for one example by parasites). If so, could this mean that IBS is a symptom of depression?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Depression new
      #371806 - 01/10/15 10:47 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

PMartin,

I believe that IBS and depression are closely intertwined!

It is certainly NORMAL to be depressed when your quality of life suffers so much and you can't even EAT or DRINK what you want! Life is HARD enough, without all of this, huh?

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371807 - 01/10/15 10:48 AM
Candy07

What really ANGERS me is that it seems that the entire medical and pharmaceutical industries are TOTALLY indifferent to our suffering!!

Maybe is some of THEM got this condition, that would CHANGE?!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371808 - 01/10/15 12:49 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

I was NEVER told by medical establishment about soluble fiber and higher ratio soluble fiber foods, peppermint caps, the teas, probiotics or dicyclomine (makes concentration crummy though and very drying), OR even referred to at least a nutritionist for my IBS; Except for the dicyclomine/Bentyl, the previous could not be covered by my insurance through the years. Let alone, just VERILY got imitrex after 30 yrs for migraines that started at the beginning of my more mild IBS time;In the meantime got my helpful woman GP to up my progesterone to hopefully help the migraines even more and see if it will also help somewhat with the IBS tendencies;Even though IBS is a daily challange for me, the hormone fluctuations throw a monkey wrench into it. Yes, through all the years, some depression/anxiety, due to IBS, came and went thankfully.

#372004 - 04/06/15 06:43 AM
dooori

Reged: 04/06/15

hey
nice post i really like

Edited by Heather (04/06/15 02:23 PM)

#372054 - 04/30/15 12:32 PM
Candy07

I truly believe I am FINALLY getting some welcome and DESERVED relief from my IBS issues since starting 50 mg of Zoloft in February 2015.

I can tolerate regular potato chips, wine and high fat chocolates with dairy ingredients with NO problems!

Perhaps more members of this forum should try an antidepressant as well!

GREAT health and HAPPINESS to ALL!!

--------------------

#372057 - 04/30/15 02:56 PM
sgcray

Less anxiety=less ibs for me;);It would be interesting to see on Webmd's site if Zoloft has helped others with ibs. A long time ago a GI had prescribed a low dose Elavil/amitriptyline trycyclic antidepressant for my ibs-d that I never filled because I was worried about side effects. My herb book says St. John's Wort can be used in place of it, for low to moderate depression, or for IBS. So, trying the SJW tincture that has helped form better stools. Webmd's reviews indicated that people do best on lower doses of the amitriptyline, otherwise too groggy. Sounds like doctors are prescribing too high of doses, instead of building up slowly. Since I also have migraines with the ibs-d that happen mainly around pms time, I tried to stop my periods with a GP's help, but only made things worse;So, I might consider the amitriptyline, since webmd reviews on that for both my maladies shows favorably. It might also be helpful for my muscle pain increasing as I'm aging. My insurance could cover that . Trick is finding the right balance of serotonin with drugs, otherwise trouble.

Edited by sgcray (04/30/15 03:38 PM)

#372065 - 05/01/15 02:33 PM
Candy07

Thanks SO much for your feedback sgcray!

--------------------

#372066 - 05/01/15 03:20 PM
sgcray

I'm glad you are finding relief Candy:) I'd bet your serotonin went down due to stress from your treatments.
I might have already referenced this, but I went back and read the reviews on the meds for ibs on this site http://www.ibstales.com/ibs-medications.htm
Wish sometimes I could see reviews for meds used for IBS-D and IBS-C listed separately. Since you referenced IBS-C and side effects for Zoloft list "C",....yet it doesn't cause you a problem? So am I gonna be missin you now if you're cured? Maybe you'll be able to slowly go off Zoloft after serotonin builds back up? Made appt. with GP to get referred for or prescribed the low dose of the tricyclic Amitriptyline which is Elavil that past GI wanted to put me on. Bentyl isn't so great that my previous GP prescribed;Do NOT wish to be referred to a non-helpful GI just because some insurance company deems it.. We'll see. Let us know if the Zoloft sticks long term with helping your ibs:)

Edited by sgcray (05/02/15 10:08 AM)

#372071 - 05/02/15 09:45 AM
Candy07

sgcray,

I am NOT going anywhere just YET!! I would miss you guys WAAAYYYY too much!!

Thanks for the link and all the support you have given me! I pray YOUR IBS gets a LOT better as well, as I want the same thing for ALL of us!!

Life is HARD enough ALREADY without NOT even being able to EAT or DRINK what you WANT!!

We have all SUFFERED ENOUGH and DESERVE complete RELIEF right NOW!!

--------------------

#372072 - 05/02/15 10:00 AM
sgcray

Yay, and I double ditto that, Yaaaah!

Edited by sgcray (05/02/15 10:03 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review