All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need Help
      #371542 - 10/19/14 10:15 AM
rebekahsmom

Reged: 10/19/14
Loc: Washington

Seeking help for my 12 yr old daughter - after months of lab testing and dr visits, she's been diagnosed with IBS-A and on daily stool softner and probiotics. She's lost 20 pounds this year and looks anorexic and very sickly. We need her to gain those 20lbs back! I'm new and have no idea where to start. I've read several pages on this site but don't know what to do first. I just need her to gain weight and have regular BMs. Any help appreciated - thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Help new
      #371543 - 10/19/14 10:25 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

SO sorry to hear about your daughter! She is AWFULLY young to have to be dealing with IBS!!

Did you mean to type that she is IBS-C?

How long has she been having symptoms? Did she have any food poisoning or other bowel issues that started all this?

What does her pediatrician say? What foods and beverages can she tolerate safely?

You can find a lot of helpful info on this site and I hope that Heather chimes in too.

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371544 - 10/19/14 01:51 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Sad to read about your daughter. Perhaps the fibre on this website can help her to start to have more regular BM. It will take some time, you need to start slow. Furthermore, Heather has some tips about what to eat when you can't handle anything.

What does she eat/drink now? What did you try? If she has cramps you might try herb teas like mint and fennel tea.

Hope your daughter can get some help.
Good luck.
Saskia
-----------------

Edited by Sassie (10/19/14 02:06 PM)

#371545 - 10/19/14 02:01 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

@Candy, Ibs A is sometimes C and sometimes D. I've got the same.

#371548 - 10/20/14 01:58 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I had never heard of this and thanks!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371563 - 10/24/14 10:35 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

If she has alternating, I don't understand the softener doc prescribed. This sites acacia fiber is recommended for diarriah or constipation regulation. It has the bifido factor aspect, a "prebiotic," and did not create additional gas with me. Made my stools smell sweet with good bacteria being fed. Plus, regulates blood sugar for me. White rice for helping stabilize weight is great (rhymes too). Both white basmati and white jasmine are aromatic and help increase appetite. White jasmine has a microwave option, which worked with my white basmati just as well. Both are soft enough for me using the micro method. Quoting from this sites page for the peppermint + caps: "Clinical studies have shown that peppermint oil is exceptionally beneficial for IBS abdominal pain and spasms, diarrhea, and urgency (and it will NOT worsen constipation). Fennel helps relax the gut, regulates contractions of the small intestine, and aids bloating and gas. Plus, it's known to have a calming effect on the bowel. Ginger contains powerful digestive enzymes and has historically been a remedy for nausea."

#371565 - 10/25/14 11:06 AM
rebekahsmom

Thank you for the reply! She has a pattern of constipation and then loose stools with waves of severe nausea. She has had symptoms for 10 months now. The pediatrician thinks that this was brought on by a stomach virus that she got last December (2013). We can't find specific foods that trigger her problems - it seems to be random.

#371566 - 10/25/14 11:09 AM
rebekahsmom

Thank you for your reply! Because of her severe and rapid weight loss (about 20 pounds this year) we currently allow her to eat anything she wants. She eats a wide variety of foods and we keep things on the healthy side. I'm about to start her on the "cheat sheet" diet that I downloaded from this site, but am so worried that she'll lose even more weight. She currently weighs 84 pounds and is 5'1". She should weigh about 100 pounds.

#371567 - 10/25/14 11:11 AM
rebekahsmom

Thank you for the response sgcray! I guess the pediatrician wants her on the daily softner to try to regulate her BMs. I am about to purchase the acacia fiber from this site, and I will go find peppermint at our local health store. Good thing my daughter loves white rice! I'm baffled at the thought that white rice, bread, and pasta will help when all my life I've heard that those foods are constipating.

#371568 - 10/26/14 02:12 PM
sgcray

Hey there GOOD JOB MOM: "If" she has heartburn with the nausea..The peppermint caps that include the fennel and ginger oils are what you'd want and are for prevention, available at CVS pharmacy with acacia too (Heather's Tummy Tamers and Tummy Fiber). The Peppermint "tea" CAN irritate an already bothered esophagus;For the tea forms, the fennel and ginger teas. You definately have to take the peppermint caps on an empty tummy at least an hour (if heartburn) before eating and only with enough water just to get um down or they'll prematurely/strongly "mint" up on you. They use to uncomfortably burp up until I got the spasming down, but not anymore Probably won't need any stool softener if she uses the acacia..nice stuff. It's pretty popular. See how I take it in my signature paragraph. Start slowly/build up until stable following those important instructions on that label for sure. I had mild IBS 30 years ago..went into what they thought was crohns, then converted to a severe IBS which was managed on this site's IBS diet. Read: The First Year IBS book from this site to understand fully..Answer's questions ahead of time, less confusing with the horse before the cart. That way she can have the book in her hands to keep. It's a good small investment for a long term challenge."Later" after stablizing, you eat a smaller amount of well cooked brown rice, but ONLY after one eats the soluble acacia fiber, then the white rice on an empty stomach first, then the rest of the meal. Works best. The book explains all. I started as IBS-A, then it went to only IBS-D. Now, it's never watery, just med. stools with the fiber. I use a sublingual spray multi-vitamin and calcium carbonate 2 parts to 1 part magnesium glycinate in 2 separate pills. Too many calmag combos had magnesium oxide or magnesium citrate that loosens stools alot. If I'm really stressed to the max. I take my prescription before sleeping..It makes me too drowzy during daytime..peppermint (+) caps i.e. (Heather's Tummy Tamers) are during the day for me. I use to be able to eat anything I wanted up until 40 pretty much, but guess I'm post infection IBS case to this day even though building up probiotics for more than 10 years..My colon just got flacid and easily traps the gas if wait too long to eat or eat too much in one sitting. So eating frequently small meals slowly, 5'6 and 130 lbs for years now. Best to You and your daughter sweet Mom.

#371569 - 10/26/14 07:41 PM
rebekahsmom

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input.

We have the peppermint caps now, I ordered Heather's book (used we are dirt poor and I just spent a month's grocery budget on the supplements and dairy-free stuff -sheesh).

She took dicyclomine as an anti-spasmotic and it really helped, and probiotics helped greatly for one month, and that's it. We had one good month where she gained 5 pounds and felt good - we were so excited! But despite daily probiotics, she's lost 6 pounds now.

I read other sites that say for IBS go gluten-free and sugar-free, which this site does not suggest. So confusing on who is "right"! I'm hoping dairy-free will help greatly, as I just bought soy everything (yogurt, cheese, cream cheese, and milk).

How much time should I wait til we see relief from using the acacia powder, peppermint caps, and a change in diet? Two weeks-ish?

Thanks again for the encouragement. This is heart breaking. She barely drinks any water too, no matter how much we plead.

#371573 - 10/28/14 02:04 PM
sgcray

Quote:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input.

We have the peppermint caps now, I ordered Heather's book (used we are dirt poor and I just spent a month's grocery budget on the supplements and dairy-free stuff -sheesh).

She took dicyclomine as an anti-spasmotic and it really helped, and probiotics helped greatly for one month, and that's it. We had one good month where she gained 5 pounds and felt good - we were so excited! But despite daily probiotics, she's lost 6 pounds now.

I read other sites that say for IBS go gluten-free and sugar-free, which this site does not suggest. So confusing on who is "right"! I'm hoping dairy-free will help greatly, as I just bought soy everything (yogurt, cheese, cream cheese, and milk).

How much time should I wait til we see relief from using the acacia powder, peppermint caps, and a change in diet? Two weeks-ish?

Thanks again for the encouragement. This is heart breaking. She barely drinks any water too, no matter how much we plead.

Groovy work!
I luckily found my used book. Special foods are so dang $, when you'd think they shouldn't be, for people likely getting less $ with illnesses going on. The book, the acacia, the caps, & foods are a great start! The acacia and caps tend to be less $ at my local store. Try checking out CVS pharmacy if you have one in WA. Maybe Rebecca could meet Heather or see her sample video on this site as inspiration..since Heather has had IBS since age 9 I think;It's in her book I believe. I would keep taking the probiotics, as they are transient I've read. Kefir probios are less transient..setting up shop in you. Could have been too much for her track from a certain food, too much at once, not eating enough soluble fiber first, ratio of fat (or even too much saturated kind or not until end of meal for me) or..too much liquids at once or stress;I encourage the supplements to buffer the unknowns. Takes a while to master the important "HOW" to eat. Hence, the book is soooo important. Having that good stretch of time says somethin worked, yeah!:o The soy milks vary greatly in the fiber amounts;Lowest reasonable amount I could get is in Westsoy's lowfat vanilla that my family likes. It does have sugar. The company says their site is not updated that's still saying it has malt sweetener, dumb site. Try the sourdoughed white wheat that has "no" added yeast in ingredients meaning it is truly let to sourdough longer to help digestion. Been tested for celiac by a G.I.?;but even then, more and more it's showing people are having trouble with the carb part as with success on the FODMAP diet. Which, is why sourdoughing (true sourdoughing) can help that to break down better. I've found Trader Joe's has a few brands like that. I'm presently testing white spelt without being sourdoughed lately. Time consuming to make and just not available on the market sourdoughed. Stevia sweetener can be tried in some things, but not easily in the recipes. The acacia has to be built up per instructions 1/2 teas. at a time, the caps hopefully sooner, the foods and how you eat takes practice, varying with individuals. Adults drink 8C/day, try looking up how to figure a 12 yr. old on the web for sure on that part. Probiotics need a purified or distilled water with some trace minerals added back in..not chlorine or herbs that are antibiotic in nature taken close to probios..If I don't drink water (carried in a bottle) steadily throughout the day to keep things movin..I get too much gas, even if taking pepp. + caps etc. I take my fiber spread throughout the day before meals, that's thinly if just starting to take. ARGGGG;..life DOES get better. Twelve yrs is tough, let alone 9 with no diet available. Do you think hormones aggravate some of this? PMS looses bowels. Women have it more than men. Best to you and Rebecca and the rest of your family. Gotta make my grocery list and go shopping today..Long post.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6727

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review