All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
soluble fiber that is low carb?
      #371407 - 08/26/14 02:44 PM
LadyLori

Reged: 08/26/14

Hi There,
I'm new to the diet and I've been noticing that all the suggested foods only have 1 or 2 grams of soluble fiber while being very high in carbs. I was wondering which foods would be lower in carb yet higer in soluble fiber.
Thanks, Lori

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soluble fiber that is low carb? new
      #371408 - 08/27/14 04:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

By definition soluble fiber are indigestible carbs

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#371411 - 08/27/14 08:08 AM
LadyLori

Reged: 08/26/14

but rice is not entirely composed of soluble fiber. So, while eating rice I get 1-2 grams of soluble fiber and 40 carbs...

I was asking if anyone had ideas for food that was lower in carbs yet still a good source of soluble fiber.

#371412 - 08/27/14 09:49 AM
Syl

Most foods with soluble fiber will contain a considerable amount of other carbs Perhaps look for foods with a low glycemic index

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#371413 - 08/27/14 01:17 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Well how about some of the foods that are recommened on this diet that are more in the produce catagory (making sure you prepare them according to ibs diet guidlines, and still including in the same meal your base of soluble fiber food a starch like white bread, white rice "etc." eaten 1st. This is a low residue diet i.e. yes white rice is not high in fiber, which is great for flare ups yet giving you needed calories during that time. Try taking the acacia soluble fiber (that fills you up a little too) before each meal, and snack. After you've been on the diet for a while you'll hopefully find out the same for yourself what Heather said about her weight being fine in so many words. Just look at her in her videos on this website, she looks great P. S. It all takes practice..You'll build your confidence in the diet.

Edited by sgcray (08/27/14 01:22 PM)

#371414 - 08/27/14 02:25 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Would it be OK for someone with IBS to eat a brown rice pilaf? That would seem to be OK?

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371415 - 08/27/14 07:11 PM
sgcray

You'd have to eat a majority of white v.s. brown rice first, I would think;"OR", for sure, I would at least take the Heather's Tummy Care soluble acacia fiber before eating it;Therefore at least getting the more soluble fiber without the extra carbs if they're not needed. "BEST" to overall start the diet utilizing acacia and build up slowly to only what you need to resolve the IBS (prevents hypoglycemia too) and starting the diet with the white rice and white bread and the other suggested foods to tone down flare ups for sure. "UNLESS You already have." The First Year IBS book shows 2 versions of 3 day menu examples. One for cooking at home and the other for eating out mainly. You can mix those 2 menus for a 6 dayer worth of menus.

Edited by sgcray (08/28/14 07:55 PM)

Re: soluble fiber that is low carb? LadyLori new
      #371422 - 08/28/14 08:01 PM
sgcray

Also: You can utilize the acacia soluble fiber for that effect before eating or mixed into recipes.

Edited by sgcray (08/29/14 06:16 PM)

Heat and puréeing does not change insoluble to soluble fiber new
      #371423 - 08/29/14 04:26 AM
Syl

This statement is incorrect

"when you puree or cook, you increase the soluble fiber and decrease the insoluble fiber of foods"

There is no way one can change insoluble to soluble fiber. They are chemically different compounds and heating and pureeing will not change one to the other. It would take a chemical or enzymatic process to convert insoluble which absorbs water into a soluble fiber that dissolves in water.

--------------------

Re: Quoting Website on pureeing and cooking..better worded *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #371428 - 08/29/14 04:20 PM
sgcray

Post deleted by sgcray

Edited by sgcray (08/29/14 04:24 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review