All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FODMAP diet
      #370962 - 03/08/14 10:59 AM
ebv

Reged: 03/08/14

I was given the FODMAP diet by a gastroenterologist last year and have followed it religiously, along w/ Heather's fiber and peppermint; there are some striking differences between this (e.g. no gluten) and Heather's IBS diet, and was wondering why FODMAP foods and the theory behind it aren't discussed here?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAP diet new
      #370963 - 03/08/14 12:01 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi ebv

I have been using the FODMAP approach and Heather diet for about 5 years with good results. The FODMAP diet and its theory have been discussed on the boards many times. The links to resources on the FODMAP diet in my signature have been there for a few years.

The FODMAP diet is not a gluten free diet. It is a low FODMAP diet which is quite different. The developers of the do recommend that during the 6-8 week elimination phase one eat gluten free because 'generally' speaking they are low FODMAP ... but not always as they sometimes contain high FODMAP ingredients like onions, garlic, apple juice.

The primary reason for recommending gluten free is because these foods don't contain wheat. Wheat, rye and barley all contain one of the five FODMAP groups called fructans.

Recently, individuals with IBS who claimed they had sensitivity to gluten or self-reported non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS) where first put on a low FODMAP diet and then 100% pure gluten was introduced. No effects of gluten were found. All improved on the low FODMAP diet. The write-up gives an overview of this study

Is Gluten the Culprit in Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity?

Have you started the re-introduction phase of the FODMAP approach yet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370966 - 03/08/14 08:46 PM
ebv

Reged: 03/08/14

Syl, thanks for your response; I have not systematically re-introduced any FODMAP foods, I just `go off' the diet about once/week. I'm still confused that Heather's recipes contain foods that are "forbidden" on the FODMAP, such as onions, garlic, soy, and that the FODMAP diet never mentions anything about fats, red meat, raw veggies, fruits w/ thick skins or soluble fiber...I will experiment w/ Heather's approach, but I couldn't bring myself to eat onions or soy!

#370967 - 03/09/14 04:42 AM
Syl

Heather developed her diet long before the FODMAP approach came was developed. She has not updated her information to remove high FODMAP foods. A few months ago she indicated she was considering updating her information to include FODMAP information. I sure hope she does as the FODMAP diet it moving quickly around the world give many people considerable relief from IBS symptoms. However, they would get more relief if they also removed common IBS trigger foods too such as those discussed by Heather

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#371029 - 03/29/14 08:43 AM
summaries

Reged: 05/01/13

Quote:

However, they would get more relief if they also removed common IBS trigger foods too such as those discussed by Heather

I would also like to see Heather update her book and develop a new chart
which address both fodmaps and heathers safe food and trigger foods ,
soluble and insoluble fibers etc.

#371030 - 03/29/14 09:07 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I would very much like to see this as well!

Quote:

Quote:

However, they would get more relief if they also removed common IBS trigger foods too such as those discussed by Heather

I would also like to see Heather update her book and develop a new chart
which address both fodmaps and heathers safe food and trigger foods ,
soluble and insoluble fibers etc.

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Many of us would like to see that too -nt- new
      #371032 - 03/30/14 04:40 AM
Syl

--------------------

Re: Many of us would like to see that too -nt- new
      #371119 - 04/17/14 03:11 PM
pain247

Reged: 02/04/14

That should be interesting because many of the safe foods Heather recommends aren't low fodmap. And many of her safe foods would cause me to have an attack. Anything wheat gives me an attack and causes tons of pain for me. When I was following the diet. I spent months in the "can't eat anything" part of it not realizing I was just putting myself in a vicious cycle. I didn't realize the foods that Heather recommends to calm attacks actually were feeding mine.

Re: Many of us would like to see that too -nt- new
      #371123 - 04/18/14 08:56 AM
March

Reged: 11/10/12

It's a funny thing, IBS is such an individual thing. I make my own bread, follow the Eating for IBS guidelines and do pretty well. I have tried many diets, but this is the only thing that works for me. I love Heather's recipes especially the breads.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4833

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review