All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Oatmeal
      #370936 - 02/25/14 01:46 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Is it possible that despite a favourable SF/IF ratio, when cooked, that oatmeal is too high in fibre for some individuals with IBS? Many guidance documents, on following a low fibre diet for IBS, remove all oat products. For example, the Mayo clinic suggests eating no more than 1g of fibre per serving. A typical 40g serving of oatmeal contains approximately 3g of fibre.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal new
      #370937 - 02/25/14 05:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is possible - I guess.

The oatmeal I have contains 2 grams soluble and 2 gram insoluble fiber per 40 gram serving. And when cooked oatmeal produces resistant starch that acts like a soluble fiber - about another 2 grams. I have a serving every morning with 1/2 semi ripe banana which adds more soluble fiber.

At 1 gram per serving it seems like it would be rather difficult to get 20-25 grams of fiber per day unless one made up the rest with a soluble fiber supplement.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370938 - 02/25/14 07:17 AM
mradams1

Yes, the Mayo clinic recommendations recognise this, stating;

"Because a low-fiber diet restricts what you can eat, it can be difficult to meet your nutritional needs. Therefore you should use a low-fiber diet only as long as directed by your doctor."

They also don't seem to distinguish between SF/IF. However, I've seem advice that does distinguish between the two, that also recommends removing oats from your diet for a trial period of 2-4 weeks.

I probably don't get enough fibre in my diet, and I've had no luck with SF supplements, so oatmeal forms an important part of my diet-I sometimes have it twice a day.

--------------------

#370939 - 02/26/14 05:49 AM
Syl

If you look at the list of disallowed foods you can see that they are high soluble fiber foods while the list of allowed foods are soluble fiber foods that contain less insoluble fiber. It is a low residue fiber diet which essential means low insoluble fiber. Here is a link to a discussion about Fiber and Low Residue Diets for IBS. Note the comment "Fiber, especially soluble fiber, should not be avoided and normal amounts are acceptable if tolerated."

Do you have a medical reason for going on a low residue diet?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370940 - 02/26/14 07:13 AM
mradams1

Thanks for the the link to the article. Although it's actually for IBD, not IBS. The article I have from the NHS, I've posted it on here before, is a low fibre diet for IBS. It recommends removing all high fibre foods regardless if they're high in SF/IF. I assume it is possible that too much fibre, even SF, could aggravate IBS symptoms.

I don't have a medical reason for going on a low residue diet, other than as a trial to see if it improves my IBS symptoms.

--------------------

#370941 - 02/26/14 08:13 AM
Syl

Some how one has to get 20-25 grams of fiber a day as the fermentation of fiber, particulary SF, produces important gut nutrients such as short chained fatty acids. I sure won't go on a low SF/IF diet that reduced fiber intake below the daily requirements without medical guidance - IMHO.

--------------------

#370942 - 02/26/14 09:58 AM
mradams1

Yes, but like much 'healthy' dietary advice, (for example; eat wholegrains, leafy vegetables, pulses/legumes, seeds, dairy products etc.) perhaps that figure of 20-25 grams of fibre is too much for some people with IBS to tolerate.

Thanks for the advice and opinion. I am in discussions with my GP, GI and dietitian to explore food intolerance (via an elimination diet)and the role that food plays in my IBS symptoms.

The next month is going to be tough.

--------------------

#370949 - 02/28/14 11:44 AM
michelle868

Reged: 07/18/11
Loc: uk

Oatmeal always effects my ibs. I tried gluten free oatmeal but that effects it too.

--------------------
I've had Ibs all my life and still trying to figure out what to eat??!!

#370950 - 03/01/14 05:05 AM
mradams1

Yes, it may be too high in fibre. As this article from 2010 states;

'Professor Whorwell believes that tens of thousands of people with IBS are sensitive to soluble fibre, too. 'So far we haven't done any studies on this,' he says.
'But there is anecdotal evidence of people having their lives wrecked by the symptoms caused by eating fruit and vegetables.'

--------------------

#370951 - 03/01/14 09:13 AM
Syl

Bran and irritable bowel syndrome: time for reappraisal

Porridge (oatmeal in the UK) - seems to be quite well tolerated compared to bran and other sources of insoluble fiber.

Table : Symptomatic response to fibre
Fibre source - Porridge

Better - 0
Worse - 9 (12%)
Unchanged - 66 (88%)

Whorwell may have been thinking about soluble fibers like inulin and FOS which have found to be IBS triggers since that story in Mail Online was written

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review