All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
protein
      #370879 - 02/14/14 02:34 PM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Are proteins from fish,seafood and chicken/turkey difficult to digest? That is, are they okay to eat everyday?

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: protein new
      #370882 - 02/15/14 03:01 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They are very easy to digest and can be eaten everyday or even twice a day

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370883 - 02/15/14 03:42 AM
mradams1

Great, thanks Syl. I was doing some reading and a respected 'clinic' in Europe advocates only eating animal proteins every other day as they're difficult to digest. They suggest instead that you get the majority of your protein from non-animal sources: beans, legumes, nuts and seeds. This would be difficult for people with IBS as beans and legumes contain FODMAPs and nuts and seeds are high in IF and therefore more difficult to digest I would've thought.

--------------------

#370884 - 02/15/14 02:57 PM
Syl

Do they mean red meat when they speak of animal protein? I rarely eat red meat - perhaps once every 10 days. I have been experimenting with a pressure cooker on red meats to breakdown the connective tissue. It works quite well. Chicken, shrimp, scallops and a variety of lean fish are my primary sources of protein. I can handle a couple of tablespoons a day of Sabre red pepper humus even though it has a tiny amount of garlic. All other beans are off my diet. And the high insoluble fiber in nuts even when ground I cannot handle. Natural peanut butter with too much of the husk seem to be okay too.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370890 - 02/17/14 08:17 AM
mradams1

As I understand it they were referring to any animal based proteins (including fish and seafood). I don't eat red meat, beans, pulses, legumes, nuts or seeds (except tofu and smooth peanut butter). Therefore fish and seafood are also my primary sources of protein.

I'm concerned that I'm not eating enough fruit and vegetables. Due to their high IF content I have difficulties with many of them. How do you do with fruit and veg?

--------------------

#370891 - 02/17/14 08:33 AM
Syl

Fruits and veggies are a problem for me too. I have to stick to peeled boiled carrots, peeled lightly fried zucchini and roasted/peel red peppers. That is about it.

The fruit problem I solved by juicing thawed frozen berries. I pass the pulp through the juicer 3 times. I usually juice a 1 kg bag and store the juice in 300 ml containers in the freezer. I put 3-4 tablespoons on my oatmeal each morning and I add a couple of tablespoons to drinking water. It is a concentrated way to get some fruits. Once in a while I will juice a cantelope or other safe melon for a treat.

--------------------

#370892 - 02/17/14 08:45 AM
mradams1

I can usually handle: bananas, parsnips, peeled and seeded aubergine, carrot, courgette, and roasted red pepper. Passatta/peeled plum tomatoes are fine too.

I used to do the same with my berries and other fruits but by stripping the fruits of their fibre it concentrated the sugars too much.

--------------------

#370896 - 02/18/14 03:04 AM
Syl

Removing the pulp and using 2-3 tablespoons likely contains no more sugar that 1/2 cup of berries with pulp.

--------------------

#370897 - 02/18/14 03:16 AM
mradams1

Yes, I guess by reducing the serving size that'd work. Good idea.

How do you do with carbs? The only wholegrains I have managed to introdue into my diet have been oats and well cooked polenta. Otherwise its white rice/spelt flour/rice flour noodles and cornflour pasta.

I also have to be careful with foods high in fat. Do you have a cut-off point for the fat content of foods per 100g? The NHS define foods low in fat as containing <3g/100g and foods high in fat as containing >17.5g/100g.

--------------------

#370911 - 02/19/14 03:19 AM
Syl

The only whole grain I can handle is regular long cook oatmeal because of the amount of resistant starch that is created when it cooked, Polenta I cannot do. Rice, white flour products and pasta is fine.

I seem to be able to handle a reasonable amount of fat but I cannot over do it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review