All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Strongly considering acupuncture!
      #370740 - 12/25/13 04:01 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello,

Can I get some feedback from folks on this board who used acupuncture for their IBS?

I have now been suffering from a dang stomach virus for TWO WHOLE WEEKS now and am getting VERY frustrated!!

I am calling my gastro doctor first thing in the morning and I will also contact a Chinese acupuncturist who treats a lot of the Green Bay Packers. He also treats my oncologist I have for my Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with acupuncture!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strongly considering acupuncture! new
      #370741 - 12/26/13 03:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have tried it twice with no results. The clinically trials suggest that is has little value for IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370742 - 12/26/13 07:22 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I would encourage you to try it. I went through a period where I had weekly sessions and while it certainly doesn't "cure" IBS, it relaxed my body, my stomach included. My doctor had told me that when I am stressed, all my muscles tense up, including my stomach/digestive track. Acupuncture really relaxed everything and I did feel better.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#370743 - 12/26/13 10:53 AM
Candy07

Oh great!

Were you able to eat more foods that you had been avoiding since you were diagnosed with IBS?

THAT is really my goal! Thanks for your post!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370744 - 12/26/13 10:54 AM
Candy07

So sorry to hear this Syl! I hope you weren't out too much money then!

--------------------

#370745 - 12/26/13 01:14 PM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

I believe in the placebo effect of acupuncture. If you go in believing it will work, it may work. If you go in being apprehensive, probably won't work. I tried it twice per week for many months and did not help.

#370746 - 12/27/13 05:49 AM
Syl

It was covered by our medical coverage. It felt nice but it did absolutely nothing for IBS symptoms.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370750 - 12/27/13 12:56 PM
Candy07

Wow! Good for you! I think it's still uncommon for this to be covered by insurance!

--------------------

#370834 - 01/30/14 03:43 AM
Clifton

Reged: 12/11/08

Quote:

Oh great!

Were you able to eat more foods that you had been avoiding since you were diagnosed with IBS?

THAT is really my goal! Thanks for your post!

With PediaSure Complete I have been eating a bit carefree. I have gained 3 kgs in one month. Worthwhile trying out

- Clifton
55+, IBS-D

#370835 - 01/30/14 09:57 AM
Candy07

WOW!! How did this product help you so much??!

--------------------

#370836 - 01/30/14 12:38 PM
Clifton

See my PediaSure post in the message boards.

Actually, a GI doc recommended it to me. I have practically ruled out any other disease having done endoscopy, ultra-sound, CT scan and even MRI of the abdomen!! He also suggested Rifaximin which, after reading Syl's link, I am thinking if I ought to have. Even without Rifaximin, I am feeling better with 6 spoons PediaSure in-between meals. PediaSure works better than Ensure for IBS-D. Do read up the nutrients that compose it and you will find it has prebiotics & probiotics (i.e synbiotics). Even though the number of BMs I have are almost the same, it is no longer that loose. Also, I seem to have energy which is the ultimate goal.

I am sticking to the EFI & FODMAP diets but with a little less care. I can eat some dark chocolates and vanilla Loacker biscuits without much of a problem. I can also eat bran bread and have curds sometimes, though my diet consists of mainly veggies,fruits and eggs.

I was also surprised when it started working for me. Give it a try.

- Clifton
55+, IBS-D

#370837 - 01/30/14 01:47 PM
Syl

Some people on the FODMAP diet may not be able to handle PediaSure as it contains "Short-Chain Fructooligosaccharides" - FOS a high FODMAP.

--------------------

FODMAP or Food Combining? new
      #370841 - 02/01/14 12:16 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Has anyone tried either one of these food plans. If so how well did they work for you? I have IBS-D and am just trying to add more of a variety of foods but want to know which way is best to go. My gastro said a lot of people have had success with FODMAP.

Re: FODMAP or Food Combining? new
      #370843 - 02/02/14 03:35 AM
Clifton

1. Identified and avoided trigger foods 2. Used FODMAP guidelines to a certain extent 3. Always combined soluble with insoluble fibres 4. Tried fructose items after a meal 5. Had smaller, regular meals. This had been my general rule. When things didn't work out then variety was difficult to maintain. Had to resort to immodium / Duspatilin-R. With PediaSure I have the confidence to combine a variety of foods since the motions are tighter. (I tried PediaSure because I had lost lot of weight.) However, once bitten twice shy, makes me think before trying new combos. I'm still unsure if Rifaximin 400 (just 5 doses) helped or not.

Clifton
55+, IBS-D

#370987 - 03/15/14 09:49 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Candy - I have gone for acupuncture for 3 years now. I started going for issues other than IBS but a proper dr. of traditional Chinese medicine treats the whole patient and not just one issue.
My DTCM can tell by my pulses what is going on with my digestion. Just before a recent holiday I complained that my symptoms were all acting up and my hiatle hernia was out of control. With some needling, some massage and a little rest I was FINE for my entire cruise. I had one episode on the cruise, but I think there was artificial sweetener in something I ate.

I highly recommend acupuncture and Chinese medicine. But you have to be willing to try it for at least 6 to 8 visits to see if you are actually receiving marked improvement.

Any questions, please email me directly at
cmkossila at shaw.ca

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#370988 - 03/16/14 08:30 AM
Candy07

Thanks for your message Cassandra!

I DID have some very good results from acupuncture treatments for IBS back in the spring and summer of 2008. My IBS was almost inactive until AFTER I had to drink TWO oral contrasts for a CT scan in July of 2013. Then it all seemed to have COME BACK, unfortunately.

My oncologist who treated my Hodgkin's Lymphoma is Chinese and so is the acupuncturist he referred me too. I will see him soon! Supposedly he is VERY good and treats many of the Green Bay Packers for pain issues after they are injured on the football field.

Thanks a lot too for your private email. I will be emailing you soon.

I have been absolutely DYING to take a cruise or at least a nice trip for quite some time now!!! I am SO glad that at least you were able to go on one!

Have a great day and thanks again!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1041 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8517

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review