All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vitamin D
      #370619 - 11/16/13 06:55 AM
Paula

Reged: 02/15/03
Loc: Massachusetts

I haven't been here in a while, but felt compelled to let you know that within the last 2 weeks I have started taking a Vitamin D supplement, 1000 IU (D3 as cholecalciferol from Lanolin) and have seen immediate and significant relief from IBS symptoms unlike anything else I have ever tried. I started taking this for other reasons and found to my surprise how much better I felt. I am predominately IBS-D but sometimes am a combo of IBS D and C.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vitamin D new
      #370620 - 11/16/13 08:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have been taking 2000 IU for years with no effect on my IBS symptoms. There is no clinical evidence to suggest that vitamin D plays a significant role in managing IBS symptoms. However, most people who live in the north part of the Northern hemisphere are deficient in vitamin D, particularly in the summer. The recommended daily intake of vitamin D has been increased from 400 IU per day to 1000-2000 IU per day.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370624 - 11/17/13 06:58 AM
Paula

I posted this to let people know what is working for me. I think its important that you let people know that it doesn't work for you. All I know is if someone comes upon something that may be helpful, I'd want to know about it.

#370625 - 11/17/13 09:04 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

WOWSERS, Paula!! A huge congrats!!

Can you please tell us what brand of Vit D supplement you are taking??

Thanks Much!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370626 - 11/17/13 09:05 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

MEEE too Paula, thanks for bringing this info!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370631 - 11/18/13 08:12 AM
CynthiaS

Reged: 09/26/13

I agree. It is a huge benefit to know products that work or don't work. Thanks So much Paula for the info. I too, would like to know the brand name.
Cheerio
CynthiaS

IBS-D,Gas,gluten allergy and flour sensitive. So far the only grain I am able to eat is rice.

#370929 - 02/22/14 12:35 PM
Paula

Hey ladies, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have not been on the boards lately. If you are still interested, here's the info. Nutrigold Vitamin D3 Gold. 1,000 IU. According to package contains D3 as cholecalciferol from Lanolin. I REALLY like them. Let me know if you find any relief using them. Best of Luck.

#370930 - 02/22/14 01:11 PM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

Hi,

I've been taking vit d3 (5,000 IU) for a few years now and I haven't noticed an improvement in my IBS.

Having said that, there is enough anecdotal evidence to persuade the university of Sheffield, UK, to investigate it further.

The university has recruited volunteers with IBS to participate in a trial to test if vit d and/or probiotics help relieve IBS symptons.

It'll be interesting to hear the results.

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4093

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review