All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Cheese
      #370593 - 11/08/13 11:17 PM
CamilleH

Reged: 05/24/10
Loc: Colorado

Hello fellow IBSers. I haven't been to this forum in forever and I feel super rude just popping back in to ask a question. I'm pretty successful with my IBS these days. Rarely have diarrhea anymore unless I get stressed out.

And also if I eat certain cheese. The thing is I can't figure out what in the heck is the deal with which cheeses.

Swiss cheese? totally fine.

Cheddar cheese? I blow up like a freaking balloon. My stomach gets all hard and I look pregnant. (it amuses my children)

Do you wonderfully knowledgeable people know anything about what's up with the various cheeses. I need to figure out what cheese I can eat and what I can't. I'd really love swiss cheese but I don't want it to be my only cheese! lol

Thanks for any help!
Camille

--------------------
IBS-D, Diabetes Type 2, Corn Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, Dairy "Issues"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cheese new
      #370595 - 11/09/13 09:52 AM
reindeer

Reged: 08/22/11

When it comes to cheese knowledge, that's a very broad question that someone could write a thesis on. If you go to a cheese party, around 30 different cheeses will be presented, explaining where it came from and how it was made. Or you could go to place with a cheese counter and those people should be very knowledgeable about what they sell. If you're just looking for something different than the swiss, there are literally hundreds of cheeses out there to try. Trial and error. Eat the ones you can and stay away from the ones that bother you.

#370596 - 11/09/13 10:44 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

VERY interesting!! How long have you had IBS?? What treatments have you tried for it?

I am DYING for a piece of ANY real cheese!! The substitute ones just don't taste as good.

Maybe Swiss cheese has less of dairy proteins in it??

GOOD FOR YOU!! Maybe I will try a little Swiss cheese too, but I am SO petrified of a bad reaction!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370598 - 11/09/13 01:22 PM
reindeer

I think the substitute cheese takes like crap too.

Both swiss and cheddar use cow's milk. It gets the holes in it during aging process caused by discharge of carbon monoxide. Cheddar has a different aging process and that even varies between the cheddar themselves. Overall, the swiss is healthier...less fat, less sodium, more protein and more calcium.

My favorites are Edam and Havarti.

Edited by reindeer (11/09/13 01:24 PM)

#370599 - 11/09/13 01:52 PM
Candy07

With having IBS I am SO grateful you can even EAT cheese at all, and I KNOW YOU are too!!

Thanks for the info.

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370600 - 11/09/13 01:56 PM
reindeer

I am, but I don't have a lactose intolerance, so no problem with dairy.

#370601 - 11/09/13 02:59 PM
Candy07

But I thought us IBSers had issues with milk PROTEIN??

--------------------

#370602 - 11/09/13 03:24 PM
reindeer

Everyone is different. There have been studies done with yogurt having certain strains (can't remember which in particular) that are very beneficial to IBS. There is a lot of crap yogurt on the market today all touting how beneficial they are. It's all marketing...not true. But there are some good ones out there. Stoneyfield Farms PLAIN one of the best. I've read stories of people with IBS who started adding a good yogurt daily and it really helped their IBS woes. Back to all trial and error.

Re: Cheese "Daiya-no casein milk protein" new
      #371459 - 09/14/14 01:10 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

http://us.daiyafoods.com/products/dairy-free-cheese-shreds/cheddar-style-shreds 6g fat/2g are sat. Inactive yeast makes it taste very cheesy, so don't need alot of it. Shredded has better ingredients. More stores have started carrying it. Sprout's, Safeway even.

#371479 - 09/22/14 07:36 PM
pain247

Reged: 02/04/14

I don't have an issue with either Swiss or Cheddar cheese. I'm one of the "lucky" ibsers who can eat the "hard" cheeses I guess.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8636

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review