All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ate some empanadas - STUPID!!
      #370488 - 10/20/13 08:22 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Hello All,

I came to visit my siblings last Thursday and was doing just fine before I decided to eat two chicken barbeque empanadas. It is Bolivian cuisine, I think.

Anyhoo, I DID pick out all of the onions and just ate the chicken and the pastry shell.

A few hours later at our dinner, I was suffering horribly! Frequent bathroom trips but thank God NO diarrhea! I had some cramps and did have a couple of bowel movements.

Later at night I had some burning in my stomach, but that could have been from the acid reflux.

I am still having frequent bathroom visits this morning and am PRAYING I will soon feel much better!!

A friend and his wife are taking me out to lunch and you can BET I will have only SAFE foods, since I have a 6 hour bus trip back home tomorrow!!

I was doing SO well and thought as long as the empanadas didn't have any dairy I would be OK. WRONG!!

Thanks as always for listening and caring!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ate some empanadas - STUPID!! new
      #370489 - 10/20/13 08:27 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I just asked how you are doing in your other topic. It's not nice to feel this way for you, but it is not stupid to try now and then other foods. You just have to keep on trying. Good luck, I hope you'll have a nice lunch and a good bus trip home. Saskia

#370492 - 10/20/13 09:54 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The fructans in onions are water soluble so even picking them out will not likely help as some of the fructans will have dissolved in the juices. Was there a sauce too?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370494 - 10/20/13 03:00 PM
Candy07

Yes, there was. It was a green sauce with a lot of pesto, I think, but I ate VERY little of it.

Guess I really blew it, huh??

However, I DID have a very safe lunch and I think I should be OK to travel tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370495 - 10/20/13 03:01 PM
Candy07

Thanks for the post Sassie! What other topic are you referring to??

--------------------

#370506 - 10/22/13 03:36 AM
Sassie

Ow, sorry, I see it was the topic of someone else.

I hope you had a good bustrip home and hope you are feeling better.

Saskia

#370513 - 10/22/13 02:32 PM
Candy07

Sassie,

Yes, I had a good bus trip home, NO bowel issues whatsoever!!

Even though I suffered a few hours, I am still GLAD I tried the empanadas!! You just gotta LIVE!!

Today, I tried half of a chocolate chip cookie (made with real butter) that my sister gave me to take home and I am FINE (so far, anyway)!

I just love the support I receive on this board!!

--------------------

#370519 - 10/23/13 05:07 AM
Sassie

That is great news. No problems in the bus.
I guess you've got to be more careful about what you eat and when, but now and then making a 'mistake' is human.

When I have a few good days I notice I get lazy about the food.. but when I notice I start to feel less well, I will take care right away again. To be honest.. it's getting easier to start with the good food every time.

Perhaps in a couple of months it's easier to eat only the good food because you just know how to make it.

Take care!

Saskia

#370521 - 10/23/13 10:36 AM
Candy07

Yes, Sassie, but I STILL feel that with all of the cancer treatments I have had, why can't I just CATCH A BREAK for ONCE, and at least be able to EAT or drink what I want??!!

Still trying to deal with the anger over the unfairness of it all!!! I have so FEW pleasures in life and I feel two of the biggies have just been TAKEN AWAY!!!

One day I am going to rent a room in a hotel and eat and drink WHATEVER the heck I want and if I am SICK, and up all night, too damned BAD!!!!!

--------------------

#370522 - 10/23/13 11:34 AM
Sassie

I understand it feels double frustrated. Can you talk with people about this frustration? And did you try the hypnoses cd's? For me that helped a lot. Not the first week, but after a month orso it started to work.

I also did something stupid. I had a cup of hot chocolate. Cramps within the hour.. but it went away within the next hour after that. So only 1hour really problems.

Sometimes it just doesn't feels fair. I am now 38 and have problems since childhood. Sometimes with better months but I had weeks I couldn't go out. It's not nice, but we have to make the best out of it. The food of efi helps me a lot.

Good luck.
Saskia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1868 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7020

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review