All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pain in stomach
      #370468 - 10/16/13 08:24 AM
CynthiaS

Reged: 09/26/13

Hi,
I have been on Heather's program for 4 weeks taking acacia fiber and faithfully following the diet.
I am incredibly grateful because the D has stopped but I still have a lot of gas and a very bad pain in my stomach. O also am 4 days into a probiotic treatment.
Tomorrow I am going to the doctor to see if I have an ulcer.
I have 2 questions:
1- Does IBS ,IBS gas or probiotics also cause pain in the stomach
2- If I do have an ulcer is there a preferred medication that will not
trigger IBSD

Cheerio
CynthiaS

Very Underweight, 5'4'' 110 lbs)and trying to gain weight.\
. IBS-D,Gas,GERD,nausea,gluten allergy and sensitive to most flours. So far the only grain I am able to eat is rice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pain in stomach new
      #370469 - 10/16/13 08:29 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Cynthia,

It sounds like you may have a lot of trapped gas in your stomach and probably the colon as well.

Have you been eating foods that cause gas? The combination of Heather's fiber (which I have been on for almost 2 months) and the probiotic could be contributing to this issue as well.

I think you are very wise to get this checked out by a doctor very soon.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how you are doing, OK?

BIG Hug,

Candy

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370471 - 10/16/13 03:37 PM
CynthiaS

Hi Candy,
Thanks for you reply.
I think you are right. It probably is trapped gas. I have had so much gas ever since I went onto the fibre. It seems like everything I eat causes the gas. Mostly I eat chicken, rice, sweet potatos, potatoes, squash and pumpkin with rice or almond milk. It is hard to introduce new foods because it seems everything triggers the gas.
How long were you on the fibre before the gas subsided?
I have so few things right now that I can eat. I think the gas inflames the colon and stomach when it is so constant.
I drink the fennel tea, but I have to be careful because it is a stimulant and also excellent for losing weight since it revs up the metabolism. I am quite underweight so I don't want to be overstimulated and burn off any weight.
Even with the gas I am still so grateful for Heather's books, diet plan and the fibre because it has stopped the D.
Cheerio
CynthiaS

#370472 - 10/16/13 05:32 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Just as an experiment trying removing sweet potato, squash and pumpkin from your diet for 3-4 days and then introduce them back one at a time noting the effect.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370473 - 10/17/13 12:00 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

I also have gas and it can hurt very bad now and then.
What I Always do is trying to get relief by taking a hot shower or going into bath. Also there are some yoga-positions to get some relief. (see the yoga-part in this site). Sometimes it helps me to go on the bike and ride for a while.. In the beginning that hurts but sometimes after a few minutes (15 or something) the gas will come out.

How much fiber do you take? And did you slowly increase? 1 table spoon is not a kitchen table spoon, but a measured tablespoon. (I think you know that already)

For me the best thing to do is moving, walking/biking/yoga.

But it is hard to make sure you get not so much gas anymore. For me it really depends on what I eat but also.. how much did I drink? If I don't drink enough I also will get some problems. Sometimes gas, sometimes C.

So, keep on drinking, keep on moving and keep on trying!
(Do you sleep better now?)
Good luck!

#370474 - 10/17/13 05:54 AM
CynthiaS

Hi Syl,
Why would that help?
If I remove them I will have nothing else to eat.
cheerio
CynthiaS

Very Underweight, 5'4'' 110 lbs)and trying to gain weight.\
. IBS-D,Gas,GERD,nausea,gluten allergy and sensitive to most flours. So far the only grain I am able to eat is rice

#370476 - 10/17/13 01:47 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Squash (butternut in particular) and pumpkin are high FODMAP food as they contain the sugar alcohol mannitol which is a sugar alcohol. It is some times used as a artificial sweetener. Heather talk about sugar alcohol Are artificial sweeteners safe for IBS? . Unfortunately she does not talk about their natural occurrence in food like squash, pumpkin and green peppers. Some people can tolerate them - I cannot

There is confusing information on the Internet about these foods as it depends where they were produced and/or processed.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370479 - 10/17/13 10:48 PM
Sassie

Did you read my message about the moving? It really helps. I also have to sit a lot for work behind a pc. Sometimes it's too busy to walk now and then and I can feel that sometimes also in my stomach. I read somewhere that you sit a lot. So, keep on moving. Even if it is 5 or 10 minutes every hour.

#370481 - 10/18/13 06:17 AM
CynthiaS

Hi Sassie,
Thanks for the info on moving. I am definitely trying to be more active especially after I eat. I believe you are right that it helps.
The doctor wants to do tests because of the weight loss.
I went for an ultra sound yesterday. He is also going to do the test for the H. pylori bacteria because I may have an ulcer.
This morning I believe I've had a breakthrough. Usually after I eat in the morning I have that awful stomach pain. This morning I ate some almond yogurt. It seemed to instantly soothe my stomach and take a lot of the pain away. I am hoping this will help.
Also, I am taking the fibre a bit different than before. I think I must have been taking almost 6 tbl of fibre a day. I was taking 1/2 tbl before eating but I am eating almost every 2 hours night and day so it added up very quickly..
Now, I make up 4, 2 cup bottles of water and add 1 tbl of fibre to each bottle. I drink some of it before I eat throughout the day and night. I not getting the huge doses of the fibre at one time. This way I always have some of the fibre in my stomach before I eat but it does not seem to cause the gas. It is especially helpful in the night when I wake up so much. Hopefully this method will still control the D.
Thanks so much Sassie for all of your help.
Stay well.
Cheerio
CynthiaS

#370487 - 10/20/13 08:19 AM
Sassie

I hope you are doing better by now.

Best regards,
Sas

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3984

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review