All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Could this be SIBO?
      #370263 - 09/22/13 07:59 AM
Alyeska

Reged: 09/15/13

After taking VSL #3 (a very strong probiotic) for a few days my symptoms have gotten MUCH WORSE. Could this be an indication that I have SIBO? I also react badly to anything fermented or containing probiotics (yogurt, kombucha, sauerkraut). I'm just putting the pieces together and wondering if the bacteria is overgrown in my intestines.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Could this be SIBO? new
      #370267 - 09/22/13 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is still questionable whether SIBO is involved in IBS. Bad symptoms from VLS#3 is not related to SIBO.

Yogurt has lactose, kombuch and sauerkraut can contain well known FODMAP IBS triggers. Read the first three links in my signature for more information

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#370270 - 09/22/13 03:13 PM
Alyeska

Hi Syl,
Thank you for your response! I have read a lot about the FODMAP diet and I have been trying to avoid the foods on the list. I have not recently consumed yogurt or sauerkraut because I know them to have triggers, but what would the high-FODMAP be in kombucha? I have also tried Kevita and reacted the same way. Also, why do you think VSL #3 caused a negative reaction for me (if you have ideas on that)?

Thanks!

#370272 - 09/22/13 05:50 PM
Syl

Beside FODMAPs there are common GI triggers that need to be removed/reduced. Kombucha is frequently made with tea - usually black tea which contains caffeine a well-known IBS trigger.

BTW - the FODMAP approach is not a list of trigger foods. It is a process of eliminating all high FODMAP foods for 6-8 weeks and then reintroducing foods from each of the five FODMAP groups one at a time. This helps you figure which and how much of each FODMAP groups you can tolerate.

Many people have problems with effective probiotics for a couple of weeks. Did you take VSL#3 for considerable period of time? I believe on the label they say you might experience bloating and things like that for a couple of weeks.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#370273 - 09/22/13 10:02 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

What is SIBO??

Thanks!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#370274 - 09/23/13 01:39 AM
Syl

Small intestine bacterial overgrowth

--------------------

#370304 - 09/26/13 06:47 PM
Alyeska

I only took the VSL #3 for 5 days. I was taking 1 pill for 4 days, but when I upped the dose to 2 pills I was in terrible discomfort from the pressure and bloating and so I stopped taking it. It's been a few days and my intestines have calmed down, so this evening I tried taking 1 pill again. I'll see how it goes. I'd like to believe that my body will adjust but I'm not sure if I can tolerate weeks of feeling the way I did.
Thanks for explaining the FODMAP approach to me. I guess I need to really commit to a strict elimination plan.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2584

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review