All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Juicing? How much of the insoluble fibre is removed?
      #369901 - 08/01/13 12:40 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

IBS is not, unfortunately, the only ailment I have and I have been trying so hard to get better with CFS and FM.

I have met people recently who swear by juicing for CFS and FM. My digestion is crap I am low in many nutrients. Now if you juice betroot and citrus etc...because there are no seeds or fibrous material is that going to be ok?

I know that if I was to puree broccoli etc..it would not be great as it is still sulphurous etc...but what if I did juices like betroot and orange? I know that celery even when juiced might be an issue. How much of the insoliuble fibre is left in raw juices when they are pureed to a juice? I know to not have fructose rich fruits and veg...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Juicing? How much of the insoluble fibre is removed? new
      #369902 - 08/01/13 06:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Juicing removes a significant amount of insoluble fiber but not all even from citrus fruits. All fruits and veggies contain insoluble fiber. Most of it is contained in the skin and cell walls. Many juicers have sharp shredding teeth and a sieve which filters out large particles. If the shredder can produces small particles that contain insoluble fiber they can passes through the sieve.

One thing you might do to remove more insoluble fiber is to peel things like carrots before juicing. There is no way to know exactly how much insoluble fiber is removed. You will have to experiment with different fruits and veggies and see which one give you less problems. Perhaps the best way to start is by not making complicated mixtures of fruit and veggies. Try some pure carrot juice, or citrus juice and see how it goes. BTW - beets are fairly high in insoluble fiber. If you are going to juice them it might be best to peel them first.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Juicing? How much of the insoluble fibre is removed? new
      #369904 - 08/01/13 08:58 AM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

Thanks. I will definitely peel them. I heard celery juice is meant to be amazing but they are SO fibrous I woould be scared to try that even if it was pureed.

I will experiment and see how I go.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review