All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Looking for a good enzyme supplement
      #369832 - 07/21/13 08:07 PM
Spiral

Reged: 07/21/13

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and new to IBS :/ It's been really helpful reading about what to/not to eat, and I've made the dietary changes to increase soluble fiber and decrease fats. I'd also like to try a digestive enzyme that could address dairy, protein, fat, legumes, complex carbohydrates and sugar. I'm wondering if I should also try to find one that is enteric coated so that it's not all absorbed by my stomach. Additional info: I have acid reflux and often bloating in my stomach as well as intestine. Hoping to find a vegetarian enzyme. Can anyone recommend a good one? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for a good enzyme supplement new
      #369834 - 07/22/13 04:30 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

I have not seen a enteric coated digestive enzyme containing multiple different enzymes. Enteric coating is designed to allow enzymes to pass to a particular part of the intestine. Different enzymes work in different parts of the intestine. BTW - enzymes are proteins that are not absorbed into the body from the intestine. They work in the intestine.

Generally speaking your body produces all the enzymes it needs to digest foods except in case of disease like lactose intolerance. It is best to choose individual enzymes for individual reasons and only digestive enzymes that are know to survive the stomach acid or else it is just a waste of money. For more information check out Go Ask Alice at Columbia University and the article Enzyme hype gives some people a headache have good write-ups on enzymes and digestive enzyme supplements.

To reduce bloating and gas you might try using the FODMAP diet in combination with Heather's diet. It has been shown to reduce IBS symptoms 70-80% in clinical trials. You can read more about this diet in the first three links in my signature. Many people on the board use the two diets together but it does take a little thought to figure it out.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369840 - 07/23/13 12:25 AM
Spiral

Reged: 07/21/13

Thanks so much for the info. I checked out the FODMAP diet and it seems to directly oppose the diet described on this site in several areas. Sigh :/ I'm trying to figure out whether the main problem at the root of IBS is the need for soluble fiber (as this site indicates) or the fermentation of sugar (as FODMAP indicates).

#369843 - 07/23/13 04:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe you will find there is some overlap between the two approaches. Heather's diet was developed before the clinical trials on the FODMAP diet were done. For examples her diet avoids dairy (e.g. lactose) and high fructose corn syrup (excess fructose). She also warns about food with excess fructose. The FODMAP diet talks about fiber and other GI stimulants (see second link in my signature) that need to be curtailed. In my case it is a combination of FODMAPs and difficulties with high insoluble fiber foods. It does take a bit of thinking to work it all out

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 627 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1804

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review